Brewer Fanatic

2014 - Pre-Season (and subsequently updated postseason) Brewer Organizational Player Rankings -- Latest: John Sickels

Mass Haas
It is far from a guarantee, but given how gushy people were for Orlando's brother's bat I'm surprised more folks haven't upgraded their opinion of his bat, but its quite possible that the difficulty of the FSL is obscuring how much of an improvement he has made.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I saw this from Bleacher Report - Top 100 prospects at the end of the season. It's a little old - from late September - but I had not seen it posted. The guy has Tyrone Taylor at 89. Arcia is not in the top 100, but he was on a list of 12 players who just missed - meaning he'd be ranked between 101-112. No other Brewers on the list.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2209149-mike-rosenbaums-official-year-end-top-100-mlb-prospect-rankings

MiLB had trouble finding an outfielder other than veteran Jeremy Hermida - squeezing in Nathan Orf, although more of a utility guy, would have been a nice touch. Otherwise a solid read...

Resurgent Coulter leads Brewers' stars

Just like organization, catcher-turned-outfielder had bounceback year

By Robert Emrich / MiLB.com

In case anyone is interested, unofficial ranking of NL Central prospects from Nick Faleris's BP chat:

1 - Addison Russell (SS, CHC)

2 - Kris Bryant (3B, CHC)

3 - Robert Stephenson (RHP, CIN)

4 - Jorge Soler (OF, CHC)

5 - Albert Amora (OF, CHC)

6 - Stephen Piscotty (OF, STL)

7 - Marco Gonzales (LHP, STL)

8 - Tyler Glasnow (RHP, PIT)

9 - Jameson Taillon (RHP, PIT)

10 - Jesse Winker (OF, CIN)

11 - Josh Bell (1B/OF, PIT)

12 - Alex Reyes (RHP, STL)

13 - Kyle Schwarber (C, CHC)

14 - Michael Lorenzen (RHP, CIN)

15 - Orlando Arcia (SS, MIL)

16 - Tyrone Taylor (OF, MIL)

17 - Billy McKinney (OF, CHC)

18 - Pierce Johnson (RHP, CHC)

19 - Gleyber Torres (SS, CHC)

20 - Jack Flaherty (RHP, STL)

Don't get how schwarber is ranked so high. At least above Arcia. He's a Bat with slow/likely lacking at defense prospect. Catcher/OF and at some point 1b due to his sluggish ability in the field. I'd get it if this were an AL ranking but it's NL so he HAS to play the field in order to get to show off his bat.

Anyway, Brewer names will start to show up in this top 20 with most of the top 10 likely being ML players to disqualify as prospects come next season. Arcia very well may climb in the top 3 considering.

Don't get how schwarber is ranked so high. At least above Arcia. He's a Bat with slow/likely lacking at defense prospect. Catcher/OF and at some point 1b due to his sluggish ability in the field. I'd get it if this were an AL ranking but it's NL so he HAS to play the field in order to get to show off his bat.

Anyway, Brewer names will start to show up in this top 20 with most of the top 10 likely being ML players to disqualify as prospects come next season. Arcia very well may climb in the top 3 considering.

Am I reading this correctly? To be honest, I don't know how Kyle Schwarber is rated that LOW. The guy had an ops of over 1.00 and didn't look outmatched at high-A. I hate the Schlubs as much as the next BF but Schwarber's bat rates above Stephen Piscotty by a wide margin to me.

This will be interesting to see how they reconcile this later on as I would bet good money Kyle Schwarber is a top 75 prospect when the master list comes out. Frankly, I don't see either Arcia or Taylor anywhere near there.

Am I reading this correctly? To be honest, I don't know how Kyle Schwarber is rated that LOW. The guy had an ops of over 1.00 and didn't look outmatched at high-A. I hate the Schlubs as much as the next BF but Schwarber's bat rates above Stephen Piscotty by a wide margin to me.

This will be interesting to see how they reconcile this later on as I would bet good money Kyle Schwarber is a top 75 prospect when the master list comes out. Frankly, I don't see either Arcia or Taylor anywhere near there.

Schwarber looks like he could be a 30 HR guy in the bigs. He had 10 HR in only 159 ABs in the Flordia State League - which isn't a good hitting league. I'd definitely take him over Piscotty, who needs to hit for more power if he's going to be a corner OF (I don't think he can play CF).

I think Taylor and Arcia are going to make it into a lot of Top 100 lists this year (probably in the 75-100 range). They held their own in the FSL, have done nicely in winter ball, and both project as above average defenders at key positions. If they don't make the top 100, they'll be close. If they don't make it, I'm not worried. A lot of people want to see guys perform at higher levels. Nothing wrong with that. It's just how some people evaluate players.

If that list is true, it speaks volumes (in a negative way) re our drafting and development....

Cubs have FIVE before our first entry

Cinnci has THREE before our first entry

STL has THREE before our first entry

Pitts has THREE before our first entry

Outrageous. Heads must roll. The retirement village or coaches and development staff need to be replaced with somebody else.

I would suggest brewerfan.net do all the drafting and player placement and recruitment. We have our own agent, in Josh. And we should do all the coach and manager hires.

Finally, we should let the coaches know when they are falling down. We fixed Corey Hart's elbow, you recall. Shame about the knees.

Tyler Glasnow: 1.74 ERA, 1.054 Whip, 2.75 K/BB

Tyler Wagner: 1.86, 1.107, 2.46

Okay, Wagner is 2 years older and less "prospecty". Still, not much difference there.

Age relative to level is a big deal, and I don't think there's much comparison stuff wise. Wagner has better control today but Glasnow has far and away the higher ceiling. Glasnow's "easy FB" sits 93-95 and he's hit 99, I like Wagner quite a bit but he's not at that same level prospect wise.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• 4 weeks later...
I haven't finished it yet, but as we enter the deadest part of the offseason I thought I'd recommend The Sports Gene by David Epstein. It is very illuminating when it comes to the importance of practice/coaching vs. atheleticism across multiple sports.

John Sickels, MinorLeagueBall --

Milwaukee Brewers Top 20 Prospects for 2015

Wow, Victor Roache was #2 last year

Brewers had 5 'B' grade prospects in 2014. For 2015, we have 9. That's some significant progress with our system.

Only one 'B' prospect dropped (Roache), while one graduated (Nelson). Two new guys (Harrison and Medeiros) got B grades, and a bunch of players improved. Again, that's nice progress.

Archived