Brewer Fanatic

2014 - Pre-Season (and subsequently updated postseason) Brewer Organizational Player Rankings -- Latest: John Sickels

Mass Haas

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goodness, I thought I'd swear off Bleacher Report forever just because of the stupid slideshows. I still do for the most part, but now that they're under the CNN banner and don't accept nearly as many random user entries, here you go.

Taylor - Nelson - Haniger - Hellweg - D. Williams - Arcia - Jungmann - Roache - Goforth - Delmonico

Thanks for the links Mass. Mind you, it is a depressing read.

I am tempted to try to find if there are ANY high, high upside guys in the system. Aside from D Williams, we have NIL, it seems. And I worried where in the Williams discussion it says he has some inconsistencies in the delivery, but he is athletic, so good coaching will fix that. I always worry about the development staff of the Brewers - because their results have been so, so awful.

Will be curious to see who Sickels has as the B grade, Nelson or Taylor. Nelson is obviously closer to the majors with a higher likelihood of hitting his lower ceiling as compared to Taylor who clearly has the higher upside but is farther away from the majors with a higher variance in potential outcomes.

Also just want to note that Sickels is probably my favorite "prospect expert" to follow. Lots of great stuff on his site all year long.

Will be curious to see who Sickels has as the B grade, Nelson or Taylor. Nelson is obviously closer to the majors with a higher likelihood of hitting his lower ceiling as compared to Taylor who clearly has the higher upside but is farther away from the majors with a higher variance in potential outcomes.

Also just want to note that Sickels is probably my favorite "prospect expert" to follow. Lots of great stuff on his site all year long.

I agree -- he's consistently very informed & good.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/1/30/5363560/milwaukee-brewers-top-20-prospects-for-2014

Nothing shocking here. Nelson, Roache, Taylor at the top of the list.

He reiterates what everyone says about the system: Any impact talent is at the low levels. How things go depends on guys like Arcia, Taylor, Roache, Williams and Coulter. Those are the guys with upside who could elevate the system in the next couple of years.

Hurts to see Jungmann and Bradley flounder. I had high hopes for Jungmann last year.

We are in competition for the worst minor league system. Perhaps not the worst - but certainly in the mix.

These so called experts mostly rank prospects according to draft status and hear-say which is a joke. Based on actual numbers and what I have seen...Jason Rogers should be ranked higher and D'vontrey Richardson should be on there. Delmonico should definitely be off...horrible D and not much at the plate. I would like to see Delmonico prove me wrong this year.

These so called experts mostly rank prospects according to draft status and hear-say which is a joke. Based on actual numbers and what I have seen...Jason Rogers should be ranked higher and D'vontrey Richardson should be on there. Delmonico should definitely be off...horrible D and not much at the plate. I would like to see Delmonico prove me wrong this year.

While I agree with the notion that 'prospecting' is an inexact science, the good 'prospectors' also largely base their insights on physical tools & scouting. If you went by just stats, there's no way anyone would've seen the season Carlos Gomez had in 2013 as possible... but he's a guy who has always had the physical tools to produce the way he wound up doing. Scouting is very important.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Headed up by our Link Report staff member Brad, a variety of Brewers bloggers helped create this top 25 list at Miller Park Prospects.

Give MPP a follow on Twitter, Brad indicates nice things for their recently revamped site in 2014.

The guys have posted a roundtable discussion on their selections.

BA's top 31 as per their book I just received, apologies if this has already been posted:

1. Jimmy Nelson

2. Tyrone Taylor

3. Mitch Haniger

4. Johnny Hellweg

5. Victor Roache

6. Taylor Jungmann

7. Orlando Arcia

8. David Goforth

9. Devin Williams

10. Hunter Morris

11. Clint Coulter

12. Nick Delmonico

13. Yadiel Rivera

14. Tucker Neuhaus

15. Ariel Pena

16. Tyler Wagner

17. Michael Blazek

18. Jed Bradley

19. Taylor Williams

20. Jason Rogers

21. Kevin Shackelford

22. Barret Astin

23. Damien Magnifico

24. Jorge Lopez

25. Drew Gagnon

26. Omar Garcia

27. Anthony Banda

28. Michael Ratterree

29. Tyler Cravy

30. D'Vontrey Richardson

31. Brooks Hall

Considering that Nelson is the only Brewer to show up on any top 100 list so far, this quote from the forward of the fangraphs list is extremely discouraging:

This year’s Top 100 Prospects list comes with a warning: This might be the thinest compilation of the top 100 players, in terms of future ceilings, since I’ve been writing about prospects (approximately 10 years).

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived