Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Sign Greg Golson - OF (MiLB contract)

sheetskout

Could actually work out well in my opinion. A long shot to contribute significantly, but creative...

http://www.brewcrewball.com/2014/1/13/5306158/brewers-sign-outfielder-greg-golson

"Golson can play all three outfield spots but has been primarily a center fielder in the minors, appearing there in 767 of his 1012 games. He was the Phillies' first round pick (#21 overall) in the 2004 draft, where he was selected 16 spots after the Brewers took Mark Rogers."

Reminds me of a bench version of Carlos Gomez, i.e. a player with huge tools who the Brewers are hoping can have a breakout in his late-20s. Though by "bench version" I mean that Golson's "breakout" would probably just be showing up as a valuable bench contributor.

Nothing great nothing terrible with this signing. I like it though from a depth perspective if we had an injury filled year from Gomez/Braun. Makes me think a younger Nyjer Morgan when it comes to potential numbers if having to be thrown in to a lineup. Maybe it's a way to give competition among Shafer,Halton, and Gindl which if that is the case even better. Make them work for their roster spot.

gotta think he's far down the callup list should we have a string of injuries at the MLB level. weird depth signing, to me, since the Brewers are pretty solid in terms of depth at OF (especially with 1B prospects potentially being put in the OF at AAA to get AB time)

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

weird depth signing, to me, since the Brewers are pretty solid in terms of depth at OF (especially with 1B prospects potentially being put in the OF at AAA to get AB time)

It would seem they have Herrera, K.Davis and not much of anything else that is even as good as Golson. So they can play him in CF in AAA. Unless Josh Prince is going to play CF as he waits behind Bianchi for the utility man role.

weird depth signing, to me, since the Brewers are pretty solid in terms of depth at OF (especially with 1B prospects potentially being put in the OF at AAA to get AB time)

It would seem they have Herrera, K.Davis and not much of anything else that is even as good as Golson. So they can play him in CF in AAA. Unless Josh Prince is going to play CF as he waits behind Bianchi for the utility man role.

Would prefer Schafer in center or Gindl in the corners over Golson by quite a bit.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Would prefer Schafer in center or Gindl in the corners over Golson by quite a bit.

I think he was referring to players that probably will start in AAA. Assume Schafer and Gindl are the #4 and #5 OF in the bigs and then re-read the comment (also noting that K. Davis is Kentrail, not Khris).

I think he was referring to players that probably will start in AAA. Assume Schafer and Gindl are the #4 and #5 OF in the bigs and then re-read the comment (also noting that K. Davis is Kentrail, not Khris).

Ah, yes when thinking AAA depth and Kentrail instead of Khris that makes sense. Have no problem with a guy like this in AAA in case of emergency but think they have better in house option at the major league level.

Archived