Brewer Fanatic

Introducing Clark the Cub.

hawing

After more than a century of existence, the Chicago Cubs unveiled a mascot today. His name is Clark.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19cg7fgg8djx6jpg/ku-medium.jpg

USA Today's take

Deadspin's take

Imma just sit back and watch your reactions, before I chime in with my own. I will admit that I like Deadspin's take better than USA Today's.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
You can just see the sadness and dejection in his eyes.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Luckily for the Cubs, we are far from their target market on this one. It will serve as a community relations ploy for youth and fan outreach events. I do think it is a little funny that they basically stole the image already used by the Daytona Cubs.

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/Cards/Baseball/84430/84430-NNOFr.jpg

Also of interest, apparently there are only three teams left without a mascot, the Yankees, Dodgers, and Angels (rally monkey notwithstanding).

Not just “at Night” anymore.

It is obviously a kid friendly attempt at a mascot, I have no opinion one way or the other as it means nothing to me...

If you want to complain about mascots, how about the new one that the T-Rats introduced last year? "Whiffer" is pretty much a copy of the Philly Phanatic... Not very original in any way, and why did they feel the need for a 2nd mascot when Fang is so popular?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Cubs strategy of purposely tanking seasons is being felt big time at the box office. Wrigley in recent decades with all the drinking establishments surrounding it and the high price of tickets hasn't been a particularly kid friendly/family orientated environment. In fact compared to other ballparks, it's amazing how few kids you see at games. This is an attempt to become more "family friendly" and boost sagging attendance.

Care Bear / Bernstein Bears reject. Its an embarrassing concept. Frankly, Poochie from the Simpsons is soooo much better, and that was made as to be the most lame ass character ever contrived. Also, what is with the curved, bowing baseball bat? Is that a statement about Sammy Sosa and his corked bat?

Bd47So1CQAAFt_L.jpg

Perspective people. What's all the angst about the Cubs doing some marketing that resembles a 21st Century operation? I can understand Cub fans squawking about it. They're mostly idiots anyway.

Almost every team in baseball has a mascot. How long has Bernie Brewer been around? They entertain kids. That's their job. Baseball is an entertainment business. Does Bernie or the sausages take away from intently following a game at Miller Park?

So this mascot might be a little generic. They are named after youthful Bears after all. My guess is their target audience, kids under 10 will like him. The rest of us should just live with it and keep quiet about something so innocent.

Cubs strategy of purposely tanking seasons is being felt big time at the box office. Wrigley in recent decades with all the drinking establishments surrounding it and the high price of tickets hasn't been a particularly kid friendly/family orientated environment. In fact compared to other ballparks, it's amazing how few kids you see at games. This is an attempt to become more "family friendly" and boost sagging attendance.
That's really interesting. It completely makes sense from that standpoint. Obviously you have to hope they have more in mind to attract families, beyond the mascot.

I've always had a weird, visceral aversion to "Cubs" as a name. I really can't explain why. I never really understood the appeal of teddy bears, so maybe I've just got an anti-bear animus. Anyway, the new mascot amps up that prejudice for me.

Agreed JB...The mascot is for kids not adults. However, I think it is still a pretty weak attempt at a mascot. The backwards hat, the sneakers, the lack of pants, the sad eyes...Cubs fans couldn't say the same thing about Bernie because I think he appeals to adults and kids alike but they might be able to say something about the lameness that is Bernie's Chalet/slide when compared to the old stein at County Stadium.

Agreed JB...The mascot is for kids not adults. However, I think it is still a pretty weak attempt at a mascot. The backwards hat, the sneakers, the lack of pants, the sad eyes...Cubs fans couldn't say the same thing about Bernie because I think he appeals to adults and kids alike but they might be able to say something about the lameness that is Bernie's Chalet/slide when compared to the old stein at County Stadium.

The Cubs aren't targeting adults. They are targeting young kids. They are out to impress 5 year olds, not 50 year olds. His first appearance was in a hospital serving kids with developmental issues for goodness sakes and judging by the hugs he was getting, he went over fine.

Yes Bernie is unique, but Brewers isn't a fuzzy animal nickname now is it? Even so Bernie generally seeks out families for pics with the kids just as all mascots do. Criticize the Cubs for lots of things, but for trying to appeal to young kids? To me that's creepy and inappropriate. But I guess we live in a society where kids can't be kids. Some down here in Chicago media are actually trying to link this to the baseball operation as in they need to do something about the product on the field. Like one excludes the other. Ridiculous.

Archived