Brewer Fanatic

The 2015 movie thread

paul253

Maybe I'm a dork talking about this already but there a ton of potential blockbuster movies set to premiere in 2015 and a lot of casting news has been coming out lately on one particular movie. I wanted to start a thread to see what people think about the movies and the potential or announced casting. 2015 movie releases are scheduled to be Superman vs. Batman, Avengers 2, Star Wars episode 7, and sequels to Avatar, Pirates of the Caribbean, Terminator, Die Hard, Jurassic Park, and Hunger Games, among others.

There are two movies I am really excited about. The Star Wars movie is first. I'm really curious about both the plot and how close to the expanded universe books and games and what not the movie is. It would be really weird to see Han and Leia have kids not named Jacen and Jaina or Luke married to someone other than Mara, for instance.

I'm also really excited about the Superman vs Batman movie, though I am concerned about all the big names being cast. To me the best superhero movies star either unknown or up and coming actors (Henry Cavill as Superman, Chris Evans as Capt America, Christian Bale as Batman, even Chris Hemsworth as Thor). Superhero movies that try to use big names tend to bomb (Ben Affleck as Daredevil, George Clooney and Val Kilmer as Batman, Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern, etc). It's not a given of course, as well known Robert Downey did pretty well as Iron Man and little known Brandon Routh didn't do much in Superman Returns. Still, I hear the rumor of The Rock being cast as the Green Lantern in Superman vs Batman and I just cringe. Seriously? The Rock? That move right there would make me less likely to see the movie. I wasn't big on them casting Ben Affleck as Batman but I suppose I could get over it. I'd just like to see the movie set up possibilities of spin-offs staring single characters. I don't see a whole new Batman franchise with Ben Affleck, nor would ANYONE want to see a Green Lantern spin-off staring The Rock (another rumored name was Denzel Washington. I'd be more ok with that but again, I don't see a Green Lantern spin-off with him). This movie has the potential to be so huge. I hope they don't screw it up.

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts on potentially the biggest year in movies ever? Which ones you are looking forward to the most?

I am looking forward to Star Wars and Jurassic Park. With the advancement in technology; I am hoping both of these movies are visually amazing.

The Star Wars release might be the most anticipated of the group and perhaps of all time so long as the initial reviews are good. Star Wars is huge to a lot of people.

• 1 year later...

Anyone see the new Bond movie? Curious how that was.

I admitted this in an old thread, maybe the say anything one, that I hadn't seen the old Star Wars movies since I was a kid. I also have not seen the new ones. So I'm thinking about trying the "Machete" way of watching them, which was suggested in the thread. The new Star Wars movie finally has me motivated to do this. Now the problem is getting my hands on the old ones. I'm not sure if I want to buy them all. The original three would be worth the purchase but I don't know about the other three.

I admitted this in an old thread, maybe the say anything one, that I hadn't seen the old Star Wars movies since I was a kid. I also have not seen the new ones. So I'm thinking about trying the "Machete" way of watching them, which was suggested in the thread. The new Star Wars movie finally has me motivated to do this. Now the problem is getting my hands on the old ones. I'm not sure if I want to buy them all. The original three would be worth the purchase but I don't know about the other three.

Yes, I'm a Star Wars fan.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/18/6030725/star-wars-hd-despecialized-edition

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Machete is the way to go. 1 just adds a lot of stuff that could be left out.

Just buy all 6. 2 and 3 are definitely worth buying.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The wife and I went to the Martian on Saturday and we both really enjoyed it. Friends that I talked to that have seen it have also given it positive reviews. I have not read the book so I can't compare the two. And I'm also a fairly easy to entertain, not to harsh of a critic. I would recommend it.

I read The Martian before seeing the movie. There were actually a few major events that were not even mentioned in the movie. The movie was still excellent, but as per usual the book is clearly better.

And I saw the new Bond movie the other night as well. I'm a huge Bond fan, and I liked it. Not nearly as good as the last one, but still pretty solid. But parts of it were pretty slow, so I suspect some may not like it so much.

Archived