Brewer Fanatic

2014 25-man roster predictions -- 3.25.14: roster is set (see post #56)

SoupTown

Ok another try post Garza:

OF: Davis, Gindl, Gomez, Schafer, Braun

Some are leaving Gindl off presumably to leave open a spot for Weeks? I just don't see it. With the lack of LH bats, and Davis still not established, they need a lefty bat to compliment him and Gindl showed plenty last year to deserve that spot. Schafer as the only CF backup can't be floating around too much in the corner spots.

IF: Ramirez, Segura, Bianchi, Gennett, Reynolds, Francisco

C: Lucroy, Maldonado

I still don't see a spot for Weeks. The biggest question is Francisco. His spot is wide open. It could go to Overbay or it could go to a non roster invite with Velez the most logical. Only thing I know is they'll prefer a lefty bat in that spot, hence no Weeks and no Halton, barring injury. Bianchi doesn't hurt them filling in anywhere including occasionally vs. LHP replacing Gennett. Because he's out of options, barring injury, Bianchi is a lock.

SP: Lohse, Gallardo, Garza, Estrada, Peralta

RP: Burgos, Smith, Blazek, Gorzelanny, Thornburg, Kintzler, Henderson

Burgos is long man in a bit of a surprise. Smith/Blazek cover 6th inning. Thornburg covers inning 7. Kintzler is 8th inning setup. Gorzelanny covers 7th or 8th either situationally or vs. predominantly LH lineup. Henderson is closer. Wooten goes back and closes at Nashville, at the ready for first call up.

I just don't see them sending down Thornburg. What does he have to prove at AAA? Use his ability as short inning reliever just as Cardinals did with Joe Kelly last year. If an opening in the rotation develops, stick him in there. Kelly went directly from short reliever to starter. Thornburg can do the same thing.

The real concern on this roster would be another knee flareup for Ramirez. Reynolds and Francisco are both defensive liabilities there and are penciled in at first. Bianchi's bat doesn't fit a corner IF spot and Green missed all of last year. If Ramirez got hurt they might have to go out and get a Jeff Keppinger, the overpriced utility guy who struggled in the AL last year and who's at best slated to be a backup for White Sox. His NL track record is not all that bad. Otherwise, they'll likely roll the dice with Reynolds at 3B and Halton will slot in his spot at 1B.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The real concern on this roster would be another knee flareup for Ramirez. Reynolds and Francisco are both defensive liabilities there and are penciled in at first. Bianchi's bat doesn't fit a corner IF spot and Green missed all of last year. If Ramirez got hurt they might have to go out and get a Jeff Keppinger, the overpriced utility guy who struggled in the AL last year and who's at best slated to be a backup for White Sox. His NL track record is not all that bad. Otherwise, they'll likely roll the dice with Reynolds at 3B and Halton will slot in his spot at 1B.

That is why you go with Green and not Francisco. Not great, but much better fielding 3B than Juan. If Green is finally healthy, he is the man to be the corner leftie bat off the bench. Bianchi could still be the platoon against lefties. Not great, but a Green/Bianchi platoon could get us through a short term A-Ram injury.

revised:

rotation: gallardo, garza, lohse, estrada, peralta

bullpen: henderson, kintzler, smith, gorzelanny, wang, thornburg, rodriguez

outfield: davis, gomez, braun, schafer

infield: ramirez, segura, bianchi, gennett, overbay, halton, francisco

catcher: lucroy, maldonado

Rotation: Lohse, Garza, Gallardo, Peralta, Estrada

BP: Henderson, KRod, Kintzler, Smith, Wang, Thornburg, Wooten (for Gorzo)

IF: Overbay, Reynolds, Scooter, Weeks, Segura, Ramirez, Bianchi

OF: Davis, Gomez, Braun, Schafer

C: Luc, Candy Maldonado

• 2 weeks later...

I want to have a new go....

Bullpen: Henderson, Kintzler, Smith, K-Rod, Wang (Rule V guy), Gorzelanny, Thornburg (Figaro first guy up from AAA if needed)

Lineup: C-Lucroy 1B-Reynolds 2B-Gennett/Weeks SS-Segura 3B-Ramirez LF-Davis CF-Gomez RF-Braun

Bench: C-Maldy, IF/OF-Herrera, IF-Bianchi, OF-Schafer, 1B/3B-Francisco or Green... hopefully Green, if JuanFran traded

Edit. Sorry cant count. Bianchi back to AAA

I want to have a new go....

Bullpen: Henderson, Kintzler, Smith, K-Rod, Wang (Rule V guy), Gorzelanny, Thornburg (Figaro first guy up from AAA if needed)

Lineup: C-Lucroy 1B-Reynolds 2B-Gennett/Weeks SS-Segura 3B-Ramirez LF-Davis CF-Gomez RF-Braun

Bench: C-Maldy, IF/OF-Herrera, IF-Bianchi, OF-Schafer, 1B/3B-Francisco or Green... hopefully Green, if JuanFran traded

Are you saying that one of Gennett and Weeks will be off the opening day roster? otherwise you have 26 players

• 2 weeks later...

After a week of spring games, it looks like this:

Rotation: Gallardo, Lohse, Garza, Peralta, Estrada (did they hint Yovani is going to get opening day?)

Lineup: C-Lucroy 1B-Reynolds/Overbay 2B-/Weeks SS-Segura 3B-Ramirez LF-Davis CF-Gomez RF-Braun

Bench: C-Maldy, IF/OF-Herrera, OF-Schafer, 1B/3B-Francisco

There is no place for Scooter until you see if Weeks is a 2014 bust.

Wang... throwing strikes and 93mph his first start; surely RRR wants him

Who backs up third... I guess Reynolds? or Juan Fran? Maybe for injury Reynolds and for rest vs rightie Juan Fran. I guess we can have TWO lefties in the line up from time to time with Juan Fran at third and OOOOOOOOO at first.

Herrera has proved he can indeed play short. And he can play outfield... even center!

If that 25 man occurs, you likey have Overbay playing a lot at first, and Reynolds and JuanFran for an impressive (power / K) right /left bench option. The more I look at Bianchi's 550ish OPS over the last two years, you surely would have Herrera as a switch hitter who in 2012 beat anything (900 in AAA, and 671 is LA) Bianchi put up.

But... I would still love to see JuanFran with a great spring and get traded to an American League team needing a DH.

Based on how Herrera has played so far and just the overall mediocrity of Bianchi I would definitely be in favor of keeping Herrera even if it means completely losing out on Bianchi. The fact that Herrera plays the OF could make it easier to field two platoons at 2nd and 1st. I would be very surpised if they didn't break camp with a 5 man bench. Gennett, Francisco, Herrera, Maldonado, and Schafer looks like the bench as of right now.

They could probably get by for a while with Herrera but at some point they need to give Segura a day off and Herrera really shouldn't be playing short. I'm not so sure Bianchi wouldn't accept the assignment knowing he would likely get called up fairly early in the season.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of both Herrera and Bianchi making the roster. If Weeks keeps looking good at the plate all Spring, I could see Scooter getting sent to AAA. That way both of them will be playing everyday, and they give it awhile to see how it plays out. Then they would have a bench of Francisco/Overbay, Herrera, Bianchi, Schafer, Maldonado. Herrera ability to play the OF is pretty big, because he can serve as the 5th OF as well.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Rotation: Lohse, Gallardo, Garza, Peralta, Estrada

Pen: Henderson, K-Rod, Kintzler, Smith, Thornburg, Wang, Wooten

IF: Ramirez, Segura, Weeks, Francisco, Gennett, Reynolds, Herrera

DL: Gorzelanny

Herrera will be the backup SS and 5th OF.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

SP: Lohse, Gallardo, Garza, Peralta, Estrada

LR: Smith, Figaro

MR: Wang, Gorzellany, Rodriguez

SU: Kintzler

CL: Henderson

IF: Ramirez, Segura, Weeks, Francisco, Reynolds, Herrera, Bianchi

Thornburg and Gennett should be starting in AAA unless/until they're needed.

If Gorzellany goes on DL, 12th pitcher is undecided.

Of the decisions the Brewers have to make with the assortment of lefties, Roenicke said, "That's nice to have. And (they are) good ones. I don't want lefties that are not good. They're good."

Interesting twist of conventional strategy. Apparently Ron would rather have lefties in his pen that are good, as opposed to having some that are not good. Good thinking, Ron.

i've updated mine:

bullpen: henderson, kintzler, smith, thornburg, wang, rodriguez, duke (takes roster spot vacated by de la torre)

outfield: davis, gomez, braun, schafer (halton also for the corner spots)

infield: ramirez, segura, bianchi, weeks (but traded in may to a team that loses their second baseman to injury), halton, francisco, overbay (takes roster spot of a pitcher that is outrighted [pena or fiers])

15-day disabled list: gorzelanny (smith or thornburg on the hot seat when he is activated)

i've updated mine:

bullpen: henderson, kintzler, smith, thornburg, wang, rodriguez, duke (takes roster spot vacated by de la torre)

infield: ramirez, segura, bianchi, weeks (but traded in may to a team that loses their second baseman to injury), halton, francisco, overbay (takes roster spot of a pitcher that is outrighted [pena or fiers])

15-day disabled list: gorzelanny (smith or thornburg on the hot seat when he is activated)

Interesting you don't think Reynolds makes the team?

SP: Gallardo, Lohse, Garza, Peralta, Estrada

BP: Henderson, Rodriguez, Kintzler, Smith, Wang, Duke, Thornburg

IF: Reynolds, Gennett, Segura, Ramirez, Weeks, Francisco

OF: Davis, Gomez, Braun, Gindl, Schafer

I want them to keep Overbay instead of Francisco because I see more value there for this season. That being said, I don't know why but I think the Brewers will look at Francisco's potential and keep him for that reason.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Anyone wondering if three lefties could make the pen to start 2014?

You figure Henderson, K-Rod and Kintzler are locks.

Thornburg hasn't had a great spring, but his success last year makes it really difficult to send him to the minors. Same goes for Smith (and he's having a good spring). That's four righties and one lefty.

That leaves two spots. Right now, I'd say it's between Wang, Duke and Wooten - all of whom have pitched well so far. Could the team feasibly break camp with four righties (Henderson, K-Rod, Kintzler and Thornburg) and three lefties (Smith, Duke and Wang)?

All three of the lefties are former starters, so it's not like they have never faced righties.

i've updated mine:

Interesting you don't think Reynolds makes the team?

i see reynolds as being the same type of player as francisco (even though they're opposite side of the plate hitters), and francisco can remain under team control longer. i know it gives you two lefties in overbay and francisco.

however, my prediction got messed up with the optioning of halton yesterday. i don't think the brewers will want to go with only one backup outfielder in schafer, which leaves herrera and gindl as the only remaining in-house options. i'm now thinking that bianchi and herrera both make the club--especially with ramirez as such an injury risk. i wouldn't be surprised to see francisco getting some starts at third, but being pulled late in the game for a better defender in bianchi or herrera.

i do not want bianchi outrighted to allow a non-roster player to make the club, as it leaves the brewers with no experienced utility infielders on the 40-man roster.

SP: Gallardo, Lohse, Garza, Peralta, Estrada

BP: Henderson, Rodriguez, Kintzler, Smith, Wang, Duke, Thornburg

IF: Reynolds, Gennett, Segura, Ramirez, Weeks, Francisco

OF: Davis, Gomez, Braun, Gindl, Schafer

I want them to keep Overbay instead of Francisco because I see more value there for this season. That being said, I don't know why but I think the Brewers will look at Francisco's potential and keep him for that reason.

You have no backup SS on the roster.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Overbay has now fanned 9 times in 22 spring ABs. Spring stats are notoriously misleading but that one tells me what I suspected. He's old and can't get around on good fastballs any more. Francisco's had a decent spring, but Overbay's handing him that spot.

Archived