Brewer Fanatic

2014 25-man roster predictions -- 3.25.14: roster is set (see post #56)

SoupTown

Should we expand this to put up our 25 man roster predictions. I would be interested how we can mix the bench (bats and bullpen) so we can keep the extra pitcher selected in the rule V draft. To me, selecting that guy is like getting a first or 2nd round draft pick. So I would do my darndest to work out how to keep him. That likely means bullpen guys that can go a couple of innings or are real proven 60-70 appearance workhorses. And also bats like Bianchi who can play all the infield positions.

This is why I want Gennent to start in AAA so we are not having two 2nd baseman on the roster. And it makes Juan Fran a liability unless he is our main first baseman.

My gut tells me we are not far from a decent roster. But the last 2 or 3 spots will mean a lot to us, I think.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Should we expand this to put up our 25 man roster predictions. I would be interested how we can mix the bench (bats and bullpen) so we can keep the extra pitcher selected in the rule V draft. To me, selecting that guy is like getting a first or 2nd round draft pick. So I would do my darndest to work out how to keep him. That likely means bullpen guys that can go a couple of innings or are real proven 60-70 appearance workhorses. And also bats like Bianchi who can play all the infield positions.

This is why I want Gennent to start in AAA so we are not having two 2nd baseman on the roster. And it makes Juan Fran a liability unless he is our main first baseman.

My gut tells me we are not far from a decent roster. But the last 2 or 3 spots will mean a lot to us, I think.

As of right now I think our roster looks like this,

Rotation: Gallardo, Lohse, Peralta, Estrada, Thornburg

Bullpen: Henderson, Kintzler, Smith, Gorzelanny, Figaro, Hand, Rule V guy(could sub in guys like Wooten or Blazek for Figaro or Hand)

Lineup: C-Lucroy 1B-Francisco 2B-Gennett SS-Segura 3B-Ramirez LF-Davis CF-Gomez RF-Braun

Bench: 2B-Weeks, C-Maldy, IF-Bianchi/Herrera, OF-Schafer, 1B/OF-Halton

could sub Gindl in for Halton to if you'd like but as of right now I'm assuming a platoon of Halton and Francisco

My opening day roster based on current group only:

Infield (6): Ramirez, Segura, Gennett, Halton, Bianchi, Francisco

Outfield (5): Davis, Gindl, Gomez, Schafer, Braun

Catchers (2): Lucroy, Maldanado

Starters (5): Lohse, Peralta, Gallardo, Estrada, Thornburg

Bullpen (7): Gorzellany, Smith, Henderson, Kintzler, Blazek, Wooten, Burgos

I still think Michael Young is a strong possibility. I just think both sides are patiently waiting for the other side to get to their number. In that case Halto goes back to Nashville to play every day in corner OF spot. Burgos gets the nod over Hand for last spot on pitching staff. If K-Rod or another vet is signed either Wooten or Burgos will be optioned.

No Weeks.

MVP lineup is terribly close to my thinking

Rotation: Lohse, Gallardo, Peralta, Estrada, Thornburg

Bullpen: Henderson, Kintzler, Smith, Gorzelanny, Figaro, Wang (Rule V guy), Burgos

Lineup: C-Lucroy 1B-Francisco 2B-Gennett SS-Segura 3B-Ramirez LF-Davis CF-Gomez RF-Braun

Bench: 2B-Weeks, C-Maldy, IF-Bianchi, OF-Schafer, 1B/OF-Halton

No Weeks.

Just curious, do you see the Brewers trading him or if it came down to it do you think they would just straight out release him? I am starting to get the sense that he won't be on the opening day roster one way or the other

No Weeks.

Just curious, do you see the Brewers trading him or if it came down to it do you think they would just straight out release him? I am starting to get the sense that he won't be on the opening day roster one way or the other

Weeks is going to be a tough call. I'd prefer they trade him, but I can't see anyone trading for him, so I think there's a chance they end up releasing him and paying his salary. Holding onto him brings risk that he'll end up with enough PAs to automatically vest his option, and as SoupTown mentioned, the final roster spots will be important, and I don't think we should start the season with two players who can only play 2B. We need more flexibility.

If we have to go Halton/Francisco at 1B and Gennett/Weeks at 2B, it really limits the roster. In that case, Schafer has to be the backup OF (Gindl to AAA) as we need someone who can play CF. Halton would have to be a backup OF, and he's not as good as Gindl, and Francisco may have to be called upon to play some 3B, as Bianchi would be the only other backup for SS/3B.

There is also risk in cutting Weeks, as Gennett is far from a sure thing, but I think I'd get rid of Weeks either through trade or release and go with Gennett as the 2B, giving some starts against LHP to Bianchi.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think Gennett will end up back in AAA for at least a few weeks just to see what Weeks can do. If he doesn't come out playing well I think he gets cut. I agree it would be a bad idea to keep both. Considering how the team is expected to do I think a month or two to let Weeks possibly rebuild some value is a low risk investment.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

theres a reason they claimed that kid from the pirates, I really hope they figure out a way to keep him if he lives up to the potential they saw in him when they claimed him off rule 5. im with Soup on his 25-man, barring any injuries, I think this is how the team looks on opening day

Bullpen: Henderson, Kintzler, Smith, Gorzelanny, Figaro, Wang (Rule V guy), Burgos

Bench: 2B-Weeks, C-Maldy, IF-Bianchi, OF-Schafer, 1B/OF-Halton

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

That's a possibility Logan, but if Weeks gets the starting gig, he racks up a lot of PAs which would lower his trade value as the team we'd be trading with would almost certainly have to pay him next year as well. If we couldn't find a trade partner, then the Brewers would have a grievance filed against them if Weeks was playing well and Gennett was brought up to platoon, keeping Weeks' option from vesting. If he dominated, then some Brewer fans would be upset if he was traded and many would be upset if he wasn't traded and his option vested for next year. Really a lot of ways to "lose" if Gennett is sent to AAA to start the season.

I think the most likely scenario is that they'll start the year in a platoon. With Weeks only hitting against LHP, he should put up good numbers, enticing other GMs to think he's "found it," and his PAs will be low enough that his option probably won't automatically vest. As I mentioned above, this will limit the Brewers' flexibility, and we'll see Halton playing corner OF and Francisco playing 3B, but the Brewers may find this to be the "least bad" option, with at least some possibility of flipping Weeks for something of value.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

New Guess:

As of right now I think our roster looks like this,

Rotation: Gallardo, Lohse, Peralta, Estrada, Thornburg

Bullpen: Henderson, Kintzler, Smith, Gorzelanny, Figaro, Hand, Rule V guy(could sub in guys like Wooten or Blazek for Figaro or Hand)

Lineup: C-Lucroy 1B-Reynolds 2B-Gennett SS-Segura 3B-Ramirez LF-Davis CF-Gomez RF-Braun

Bench: 2B-Weeks, C-Maldy, IF/OF-Bianchi/Herrera, OF-Schafer, 1B/3B-Francisco

could sub Gindl in for Weeks possibly to if you'd like

Actually not a bad bench honestly

MVP lineup is terribly close to my thinking

Lineup: C-Lucroy 1B-Reynolds 2B-Gennett SS-Segura 3B-Ramirez LF-Davis CF-Gomez RF-Braun

Bench: 2B-Weeks, C-Maldy, IF-Bianchi, OF-Schafer, 1B/3B-Francisco

Rotation: Lohse, Gallardo, Peralta, Estrada

Bullpen: Henderson, Kintzler, Smith, Wooten, Figaro, Blazek, Wang, Thornburg (Won't need a 5th starter until mid April)

Lineup: C-Lucroy 1B-Reynolds 2B-Weeks (Minor gets the start opening day) SS-Segura 3B-Ramirez LF-Davis CF-Gomez RF-Braun

Bench: 2B-Gennett, C-Maldy, IF-Bianchi, OF-Schafer, 1B/3B-Francisco

Gorzelanny starts year on DL.

Okay my revised projections:

Bullpen: Henderson, Kintzler, Gorzelanny, Figaro, Blazek, Burgos, Smith

OF: Davis, Gomez, Braun, Gindl, Schafer

IF: Ramirez, Segura, Gennett, Reynolds, Bianchi

C: Lucroy, Maldonado

Utility: Velez

The scrambling around for Overbay tells me based on his end of year slump and rather unimpressive stint in winter ball that they have zero confidence in Francisco. Velez is this year's camp surprise. I see Weeks getting trading with Brewers eating all but about $2.5 million of his deal. Figaro and Burgos win last 2 bullpen spots over Wooten and Hand. Burgos sterling winter league carries over. Bianchi holds spot due to his ability to play short pretty well, and versatility. He may see action at 2B against tougher lefties.

rotation: gallardo, garza, lohse, estrada, peralta

bullpen: henderson, kintzler, smith, gorzelanny, wang, figaro, hand

outfield: davis, gomez, braun, schafer

infield: ramirez, segura, bianchi, gennett, overbay, halton, francisco

catcher: lucroy, maldonado

Rotation: Gallardo, Garza, Lohse, Estrada, Peralta

Bullpen: Henderson, Kintzler, K-Rod (or some of vet), Gorzelanny, Smith, Wooten, Thornburg

Outfield: Davis, Gomez, Braun, Schafer

Infield: Ramirez, Segura, Gennett, Reynolds, Overbay, Francisco, Bianchi

Catcher: Lucroy, Maldonado

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Rotation: Lohse, Gallardo, Garza, Peralta, Estrada

Bullpen: Henderson, Kintzler, Smith, Thornburg, Wang, Veteran signing(gorzelanny to dl)

Lineup: C-Lucroy, 1b-Reynolds, 2b-Gennett, SS-Segura, 3b-Ramirez, LF-Davis, CF-Gomez, RF-Braun

Bench: Maldy, Overbay, Bianchi, Francisco, Schafer, Weeks

go with 6 pen guys to start until Gorzelanny gets activated like a week or two later and then gorzelanny replaces Francisco or Weeks

Rotation: Lohse, Garza, Gallardo, Peralta, Estrada

Bullpen: Henderson, Kintzler, Smith, Figaro, Wang (Rule V guy), Burgos, Thornburg

Bench: 2B-Weeks, C-Maldy, IF-Bianchi, OF-Schafer, 1B/3B-Francisco

Gorzelanny replacing Burgos when he comes off the DL

Obviously, if DM picks up the 'veteran BP ex closer type', then Figaro ends up in AAA starting. Burgos and Figaro starting in AAA for the first half, and performing, may give Doug the nerve to deal an MLB stater mid year (YoGo or Marco)

Hoping Morris wins the 1B job. Gindl can be the 5th OF, backup at 1B, Maldonado can pla ythere too, plus Halton as an emergency. Just hoping Morris tears it up this spring, I don't want any combo of Reynolds/Overbay/Francisco/Ike Davis/Yuni/Joey Meyer/Mark Brouhard at 1B.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

C - Lucroy, Maldanado

1B - Reynolds

2B - Scooter

SS - Segura

3B - A-Ram

INF - Bianchi

1B/3B - Francisco

LF - Davis

CF - Gomez

RF - Braun

OF - Gindl

OF - Schafer

SP - Yo, Lohse, Garza, Estrado, Peralta

RP - Henderson, Kintlzer, Smith, Gorzelanny, Blazek, Thornburg, Wooten

All these guys are currently healthy, except for Gorzelanny. If he can't make it, I wouldn't be shocked to see Wang make the roster.

I debate between Overbay and Francisco, and I'll go with the guy with more upside and the ability to play 3B as well. But it won't take a lot of for Lyle to beat out Francisco. Taylor Green could also sneak into this position if he looks good.

I think Weeks will be traded or cut before the season begins.

C - Lucroy, Maldanado

1B - Reynolds, Green

2B - Scooter, Weeks

SS - Segura, Bianchi

3B - A-Ram

LF - Davis

CF - Gomez, Schafer

RF - Braun

LINEUP

Versus Lefties.....Versus Righties

Segura..............Segura

Weeks...............Scooter

Braun................Braun

A-Ram...............A-Ram

Lucroy...............Lucroy

Gomez..............Gomez, Schafer

Reynolds...........Green

Davis................Davis, Schafer

SP - Yo, Lohse, Garza, Estrado, Peralta

RP - Henderson, Kintlzer, Smith, Gorzelanny, Blazek, Thornburg, Wooten

Really like the starting pitchers knowing Thornberg can start anytime with Burgos, Nelson, Fiers and Hellweg are only a plane flight away.

Archived