Brewer Fanatic

Question About MLB.tv Subscriptions....[NOTE: MLB.TV subscription auto-renewals occur 2.28.15; see post #68]

i watched all the games live and except some moment of loss of definition, and a 30 sec freezing (image not audio) during Thornburg first pitch, everything was perfect.

i didn't get to see many Brewers hits, but i don't think it is a MLBtv problem...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried it out on Tuesday night. When I ran it on my ipad, it worked pretty flawlessly. When I tried it on my LG Blu-ray player (has the app installed) it worked intermittently and froze several times. Missed the Gomez home run as a result of a freeze. We gave up after that, tired of missing the game.

I'm not sure what the issue was. My network ran it fine on the wireless to the ipad. But my network had trouble on the hard-wired connection to the blu-ray player, which doesn't make any sense. My network speed is 6 Mbps when it's fully functional (yeah, I know, my provider sucks.) I might try the wireless on the blu-ray (it does have wireless built in) and see if there's any improvement. Maybe the app needs to be updated on the blu-ray, too. Is that a possibility? I'll try it and see.

So, thus far, I'm kind of mixed on it. At least it doesn't cost me anything to figure this out.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I tried it out on Tuesday night. When I ran it on my ipad, it worked pretty flawlessly. When I tried it on my LG Blu-ray player (has the app installed) it worked intermittently and froze several times. Missed the Gomez home run as a result of a freeze. We gave up after that, tired of missing the game.

I'm not sure what the issue was. My network ran it fine on the wireless to the ipad. But my network had trouble on the hard-wired connection to the blu-ray player, which doesn't make any sense. My network speed is 6 Mbps when it's fully functional (yeah, I know, my provider sucks.) I might try the wireless on the blu-ray (it does have wireless built in) and see if there's any improvement. Maybe the app needs to be updated on the blu-ray, too. Is that a possibility? I'll try it and see.

So, thus far, I'm kind of mixed on it. At least it doesn't cost me anything to figure this out.

I'd wager a bunch of money it's your blu-ray player. They are meant to play blu-ray not run RAM heavy apps. I'd imagine the computing power on your blu-ray player is dwarfed by your ipad :)

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'd wager a bunch of money it's your blu-ray player. They are meant to play blu-ray not run RAM heavy apps. I'd imagine the computing power on your blu-ray player is dwarfed by your ipad :)

Well, I tried an update on the software of the blu-ray tonight and there was no update. I then started up the MLB.tv app on the blu-ray and fired up the Yankees-Astros game. It did the same thing as the other night: played for about 30 seconds, then the buffering circle came up and spun for 10 minutes without refreshing before I quit the game and exited.

Then I changed to the wireless on the blu-ray. Went back to the game and it started up and played for a good 10-15 minutes just fine. Then the buffering circle appeared and spun for about 5 more minutes without refreshing and I gave up.

I also have netflix on this blu-ray (and some other video streaming apps) and they all run fine and have for years. So now I'm really confused.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I think live streaming takes more to process than movies.... I could be way wrong on that.

Again, I have not had any issues on my iPad, iPhone, or Apple TV. My pc gets a little glitchy sometimes, but it's not the stream, it's just not much of a computer. On our Mac, there is no issue.

Still haven't gotten any answers on the audio overlay. Did they get rid of that? - (Edit) - I figured out I needed to update to the latest nextdef plugin. I hope that takes care of it!

Comcast purposely slowed down the feed for Netflix until Netflix paid up IMO setting a bad precedent and it wouldn't surprise me if they are messing with the MLB feed. It's that whole net neutrality issue that another poster mentioned. I've had more problems in the first 3 games then I had all of last year.

I asked this in the in game thread, but anyone know where to do the audio overlay this year? I have premium and can't find it on my computer.

I'm having the same issue. I've been overlaying via the Gameday page on my computer, but Ueck is consistently 4-5 seconds ahead, which is kind of an annoyance.

Any suggestions on what else to try? I'm limited to my Mac (no iPad or other device), so any thoughts would be helpful. Otherwise I'll run it through MLB's tech forum and see what turns up.

I'm convinced that the iPad is the best device to use for streaming. Always HD feeds and no buffering. Tried my roommate's LG Smart TV the other night and it was unwatchable. Like Baldkin said, those types of devices aren't meant for apps like mlb.tv.

Update on the Audio Overlay. According to MLB.tv tech forum, this is a flash issue. The audio overlay will be available once the system is updated, but no date has been set for that yet.

In the meantime, you can use the following link to access last year's player:

http://www.mlb.com/mediacenter/?nexdef=true

Note that it requires NexDef. I haven't tested out the functionality yet, but I can see the audio overlay button, so hopefully that will fix it for some folks. My understanding is that a lot of people are frustrated with this issue and they're "working to move up the scheduled update." Whatever that means.

Hope it helps.

While I haven't specifically tried MLB.tv, every app I've tried on my Samsung TV has proven to be worthless. Devices specifically designed for streaming are cheap, and according to reports here on this board, they tend to work well. My Apple TV has never had trouble with anything I've tried to stream.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Has anyone gotten the Amazon Fire TV? MLB's site says the MLB.tv for it is "Coming Later in 2014", is that outdated since the device was just released or is it still unavailable? If not, I wonder if the mirroring ability with a Kindle Fire tablet works well; my Fire stream seems to be the most reliable for MLB.tv.

• 3 weeks later...

MLB.tv is now available on Chromecast. Though I don't subscribe to MLB.tv, I do have Chromecast, so I am quite happy about this, as I'm always considering a subscription.

Need to subscribe to MLB.tv premium, though.

MLB.tv is now available on Chromecast. Though I don't subscribe to MLB.tv, I do have Chromecast, so I am quite happy about this, as I'm always considering a subscription.

Need to subscribe to MLB.tv premium, though.

I tried it this past weekend and was not impressed. Lots of issues - game would occasionally rewind a few seconds, buffering, audio was off at times. Tried sending it to Chromecast using both an iPad and Note 3 phone, both were equally bad.

While I haven't specifically tried MLB.tv, every app I've tried on my Samsung TV has proven to be worthless. Devices specifically designed for streaming are cheap, and according to reports here on this board, they tend to work well. My Apple TV has never had trouble with anything I've tried to stream.

I agree! That is how I watch the games and it's been awesome. For $99, it's been well worth the investment. I'm actually thinking of getting a second one for the other tv, instead of moving it from time to time. When you add in the airplay of the iPhones, iPad, and iMac, you can do so much. Great device.

• 9 months later...
Just a friendly reminder that if you subscribed to MLB.tv last season the service will automatically renew (for $129.99) on February 28, 2015. To cancel you have to login to your MLB.com account and click the "Audio/Video Subscriptions" link along the left side of the screen. I know the auto-renew has gotten a couple of folks in the past. ;)
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Just a friendly reminder that if you subscribed to MLB.tv last season the service will automatically renew (for $129.99) on February 28, 2015. To cancel you have to login to your MLB.com account and click the "Audio/Video Subscriptions" link along the left side of the screen. I know the auto-renew has gotten a couple of folks in the past. ;)

Why would you want to cancel the auto renew??? (In blue)

Thanks for the heads up. This just got me excited for my 2015 subscription. Love it.

You saved me a headache (and maybe the money). Much appreciated.

Gotta love auto-renew. I was pretty much indifferent between renewing and canceling last year. So when MLB added the minor annoyance of canceling I decided I'd keep the package.

I always think about canceling, but then I typically realize that $110 (I keep my initial price) is pretty reasonable for the amount I use it.

Anyone have any luck talking Directv down in price? Right now it is listed at $195 for both extra innings and you get mlbtv with it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Anyone have any luck talking Directv down in price? Right now it is listed at $195 for both extra innings and you get mlbtv with it.

Oh wow I didn't realize you got all that at this price. That might be worth looking in to more and trying to bring that price down.

Archived