Brewer Fanatic

Question About MLB.tv Subscriptions....[NOTE: MLB.TV subscription auto-renewals occur 2.28.15; see post #68]

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It goes by IP address. You can enter your zip code on this page to find out which teams will be blacked out in your area: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp#blackout

I love mlb.tv and will be renewing again this year. Well worth the price if you live outside of the broadcast area. I've found some devices work better than others though - laptop and iPad are best in my opinion, Apple TV works pretty well too to get it on the big screen.

So I've got the option to get MLB.tv on my LG blu-ray player. I currently subscribe to the Directv Extra Innings package. Can anybody give me the recommendation to switch over to the MLB.tv package, besides it being cheaper? I've got the blu-ray hard-wired to the network and can use wireless as a backup, so how's the quality? How much behind real-time is the broadcasts on MLB.tv? How many buffering issues do you encounter per game? Do you get pre- and post-game stuff or is it strictly JUST the game? How do commercials work? Is it the same 4 commercials for mlb.com or whatever EVERY commercial break?

Just really trying this year to determine if I should save $100 or will I get aggravated if it's just not what I expect it to be.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I really never have issues with MLB.tv. As long as your internet speed is good, it will be great. The reason I like MLB.tv is because you can bring it with you wherever you go. I watch on my ipad, iphone, laptop, and on my tv. I love having the audio with me when I'm out for a run or walk. I love being able to bring my ipad if we go on vacation and watch games. I'm sure you can probably do some of that with the directv app, but I just love the flexibility of MLB.tv. This will be my third year and I can't see doing anything else in the near future.

Don't think I really have buffering issues. Every once and awhile the picture quality hops out of hd for 30 sec but that's not too often. I think it's typically only 5-10 seconds behind if I had to guess. Maybe not even that much. I can't remember the commercial situation. It usually says commercial break on the screen but if i think they may have started to throw a few commercials in each break.

I've had some bad buffering/quality issues in the past but that was with really basic internet, recently upgraded so I'm hoping those will be no more. The broadcast is strictly just the game though, no pre or post game. As for commercials, I think if you watch it on a laptop they throw in some but otherwise it's just a blue screen that says "commercial break."

I've had some bad buffering/quality issues in the past but that was with really basic internet, recently upgraded so I'm hoping those will be no more. The broadcast is strictly just the game though, no pre or post game. As for commercials, I think if you watch it on a laptop they throw in some but otherwise it's just a blue screen that says "commercial break."

During commercial breaks I like flipping to the stadium sound feed.

The blackouts go by zip code.

When I lived in Nebraska and travelled to Iowa with MLB.tv...you would have up to 6 games blacked out...they do it by IP address, not subscription.

Also, for some reason, one zip code 68120 in Nebraska is considered a home area for Milwaukee....why I have no idea, I was one of the few Brewer fans living in Omaha.

Im having the same debate with myself as pitchleague is. Ive had Extra Innings for years too but am trying to save some coin this year. My only reservation with switching to MLBtv is that I use a Directv box at work to watch the games on. I like the flexibility to watch it on multiple locations at the same time if possible. But if I can substantially save some money it might just happen :)
Formerly AirShuttle6104

I bought it last year when I was out of town on business alot. I didn't even think about renewing it this year, but just found the charge on my credit card. It seems that you have to opt out after purchase or they keep charging you every year. I tried to cancel the account and found out I can't get a pro-rated refund. I just got charged $129 for 7 days of the package. Its now cancelled, but effective at the end of the season since they refuse to grant any refund of any kind if you don't cancel within 5 days of the billing.

Leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Thought about trying to dispute the charge with my credit card company. Anyone have better luck canceling?

Community Moderator
I had the same issue last year, this year I remembered to cancel a few months ago so I wouldn't get charged. Automatic renewals are annoying but maybe if you complain enough they will give you a refund.

I've had a somewhat mixed bag with my stream on my Roku 2 XS, which was purchased right before the season (and with me not knowing the Roku 3 generation would be coming out like two months later. There was no mention of this made on their site.) I have Verizon FIOS, and run from my router directly into the Roku. I get speeds of up to 100 MBPS. Typically, on speedtest.net, I get about 57-60 MBPS, way, way more than is required to get a constant full 720p stream. Yet occasionally, maybe once or twice a game, I get the blue screen of death, as I call it, when the feed drops. When I do the bandwidth test on MLB.tv, it's all over the place. MLB sometimes struggles to keep up with the bandwidth demands. I'm hoping they've increased their server capabilities for this season. For what we pay, there shouldn't be any freezes. Hell, I don't care if they want to show commercials between innings. Whatever it takes to make sure from the time I log on, until the final out, I can see the game in the definition I expect.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I bought it last year when I was out of town on business alot. I didn't even think about renewing it this year, but just found the charge on my credit card. It seems that you have to opt out after purchase or they keep charging you every year. I tried to cancel the account and found out I can't get a pro-rated refund. I just got charged $129 for 7 days of the package. Its now cancelled, but effective at the end of the season since they refuse to grant any refund of any kind if you don't cancel within 5 days of the billing.

Leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Thought about trying to dispute the charge with my credit card company. Anyone have better luck canceling?

Boy, I think if you get after them, they will refund. I don't think there is anyway they could put that on you. At least just charge you for this month since you technically had service. I would demand a refund, you should get it. Tell them you'll pay for this month or ST package they have.

• 2 weeks later...

just paid my bill on Directv.com and saw that they are offering free MLB.TV to all Extra Innings subscribers.

So, I guess I'll re-up with Extra Innings for one more year and see how well the MLB.TV works at my house. If it's fine and serviceable and great and all that, I'll cancel Extra Innings next season and just buy the MLB.TV package.

Just a heads up for anybody else that may be on the fence like I was.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

just paid my bill on Directv.com and saw that they are offering free MLB.TV to all Extra Innings subscribers.

So, I guess I'll re-up with Extra Innings for one more year and see how well the MLB.TV works at my house. If it's fine and serviceable and great and all that, I'll cancel Extra Innings next season and just buy the MLB.TV package.

Why would you give up on Extra Innings next season if they provide you with MLB.tv as well? Isn't that like getting a 2 for 1 if you are a Directv customer and have access to MLB.tv on your laptop/tablet/phone?

Why would you give up on Extra Innings next season if they provide you with MLB.tv as well? Isn't that like getting a 2 for 1 if you are a Directv customer and have access to MLB.tv on your laptop/tablet/phone?

To save some money. That's what it all comes down to.

- - - - - - - - -

To save some money. That's what it all comes down to.

No it's a legit question...If Extra Innings is giving you a free MLB.tv package this year and offers you the same thing next season, how will that save you money? Aren't both Extra Innings and MLB.tv the same price? If so, why not just purchase Extra Innings because you get both for the price of one?

I am asking because I am moving and am researching which choice is the best for my household as well.

Thanks.

Extra Innings is $200/season, while MLB.TV is on $130/season.

$70 savings is $70 savings in my book.

But at least I can count the MLB.TV this season as a "free preview" to see if it will work for the way I want it next season.

- - - - - - - - -

• 3 weeks later...

MLB.tv is unwatchable for me right now. The game is skipping all over the place, freezing up, sound dropping out. $130 bucks I paid and these clowns can't do anything right.

Oh yeah, and I'm watching a tape of the game. Not even live. Roku 2 XS on Verizon FIOS with 100 MBPS download speed.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

MLB.tv is unwatchable for me right now. The game is skipping all over the place, freezing up, sound dropping out. $130 bucks I paid and these clowns can't do anything right.

Oh yeah, and I'm watching a tape of the game. Not even live. Roku 2 XS on Verizon FIOS with 100 MBPS download speed.

Wow, I have not had one single issue so far and don't remember any issues besides a quick goofy thing a few times a season. Sorry to hear you are having issues. I'd tend to think it's more to do with your internet provider though??? I have no idea what speed my internet is and or what is typically good for streaming. Did you try resetting your router or anything?

Archived