Brewer Fanatic

Question About MLB.tv Subscriptions....[NOTE: MLB.TV subscription auto-renewals occur 2.28.15; see post #68]

Hey Everyone,

If this belongs elsewhere, feel free to move it.

I'm considering purchasing an MLB.tv subscription for the 2014 season. To those of you who have subscribed, I'm curious about the functionality of the audio features. I've subscribed to Gameday Audio for the last two years because I've lived outside of Ueck range and enjoy the radio broadcasts (plus it's nice to check out other teams' play-by-play guys). Does a basic subscription enable one to overlay the radio broadcast with the MLB.tv visuals? Or do you need a premium subscription for that?

If you can overlay it, is there an issue with timing? That is, is one broadcast substantially ahead of/behind the other?

Any help would be appreciated, as I'm trying to weigh the benefits of MLB.tv vs. just another year of Gameday Audio.

Thanks!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't remember off hand if you have to do the premium package for the overlay, but I'm guessing that answer is yes. They time it up very well, there are no issues that I'm aware of. It's a cool feature. I love MLB.tv and do the premium package (this will be my third year). Just so you are aware, the audio overlay has only been available on the computer, not phones, tablets, and apple tv. I really hope they change that up this year!

Not sure where you live, just make sure you aren't in a Brewers blackout area is the only thing you should look in to. I'm guessing there aren't any outside the state of WI.

Get direct tv and gets the sports package and you will be able to watch your team and not have 1 blackout all year.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Get direct tv and gets the sports package and you will be able to watch your team and not have 1 blackout all year.

You don't get out of market games though do you? That would only work in WI I believe.

That's how DISH works. You only get Brewer and Bucks games even though other teams' games show up on the guide. When we first got DISH, 10ish years ago, you could watch Twins games and Brewers games.

The sports package fills a niche when people are in markets with multiple home teams and their providers' basic packages don't offer channels for all of them. Since these are home teams, Extra Innings and MLB.tv would black them out.

The poster child for this situation would be Iowa, where the Brewers, Twins, Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, and Royals are considered to be home teams for the entire state.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The sports package fills a niche when people are in markets with multiple home teams and their providers' basic packages don't offer channels for all of them. Since these are home teams, Extra Innings and MLB.tv would black them out.

The poster child for this situation would be Iowa, where the Brewers, Twins, Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, and Royals are considered to be home teams for the entire state.

I live in Ohio and we have multiple home teams. Pittsburg games are usually blacked out unless i get the sports pack and in that way I get all the pittsburg/Brewers games.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

The whole thing is flawed. It is actually easier to see Brewers games out of market than in.

Which stinks, because if I could just buy MLB.tv and see every Brewer game I would be able to cancel cable. Of course, that's why they do it, because of the mad TV money they're getting.

• 1 month later...

How will the spring training broadcasts be handled. If you have a subscription, do you automatically get those? Or do you have to buy the spring training package as well?

Great to hear they will be broadcasting so many of the games this year!

Yep, I remember they had been included the last two years, but I wasn't sure if anything changed with the new spring training package they are offering. Also, with the added games being televised, I wasn't sure if they were trying to get some more $ by making you pay for ST games.

Email I received.

Dear 2013 MLB.TV® Premium Yearly subscriber,

MLB.TV Premium, the number one LIVE streaming sports service, is back in time for Spring Training. The first game streamed online will be on February 26, 2014 (MLB.TV Spring Training Schedule). We are pleased to notify you of the annual automatic renewal of your subscription for 2014. Your subscription is priced at the same low, regular yearly price as last year - only $129.99 for the entire year. Watch over 200 Spring Training games (without blackout restrictions) on your computer and all 2,430 regular season games online or on your favorite supported smartphones, tablets and connected devices (subject to blackout restrictions). Almost 100 games are streamed LIVE per week.

New for 2014

New 2014 MLB.TV Media Player: MLB.com will be launching a new high definition MLB.TV Media Player this season (beta version will be available in or around March). The new web-based Media Player will have a responsive, in-page layout with simplified controls and game-event milestone markers. Subscribers with optimal bandwidth will have access to live HD video without the previously-required NexDef software download.

2014 will see the rollout of additional connected devices. There will be additional distribution platforms for MLB.TV Premium live streaming launching during the season including Xbox One (for Xbox Live Gold Subscribers) and Sony PlayStation 4. Other platforms will be announced as they become available. Your 2014 subscription includes continued support of the following Connected Devices: Xbox 360 (for Xbox Live Gold Subscribers), Sony PlayStation 3, AppleTV, Roku, LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Western Digital. Click here to see a full list of compatible devices.

2014 MLB.TV PREMIUM FEATURES

Subscription to MLB.com At Bat 14 , the number one selling sports app in the Apple App Store, is included for free ($20 value) with MLB.TV Premium Yearly subscription (separate purchase not required). Enjoy complete mobile portability to compatible smartphones and tablets (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch - iOS 4.0 or higher, supported Android smartphones and tablets, Amazon Kindle Fire and Windows Phone 8). The new and improved At Bat 14 app will be available on or around February 25, 2014.*

Home or Away Feeds: Watch either the home or away teams' broadcasts.

HD Picture: Speed detection technology delivers high definition video at the industry standard of 720p on any size screen.

Live Game DVR Functionality: Pause and rewind live games. Jump back to create your own instant replay.

Multi-Game Viewing Options: Watch up to four games simultaneously with the Mosaic® feature.

Pitch by Pitch Tracking: Track the location, type and speed of every pitch. Follow balls and strikes on overlay.

Picture-in-Picture: Choose one game and track another or watch in-game highlights simultaneously in a secondary window.

Audio Overlay: Overlay the home or away team's radio broadcast over the live video or use the "Park" option to include the ballpark's natural sounds.

Clickable Linescores: Go directly to any at-bat or half inning of a game.

In-Game Highlights: Real-time highlights and player stats automatically load in the media player. With one click, the clip instantly launches in a picture-in-picture window

Player Tracker: Customize a list to feature entire fantasy rosters and receive on-deck notifications to watch live look-ins for each player. Simply click the alert and watch the at-bat live in a Picture in Picture window.

Click here to see a full list of features.

* Simply download the free MLB.com At Bat app to your supported smartphone or tablet and log-in with your MLB.TV Premium username and password to access live and on-demand baseball.

There is no action required for you to continue your current subscription. The payment card you have on file with us will be charged $129.99 prior to the beginning of live Spring Training games, on or about February 19, 2014. As we have done in the past, your subscription will automatically renew next year on or about the anniversary date at the prior year's regular full yearly price. To ensure uninterrupted access to your MLB.TV Premium subscription, in the event that we are unable to process charges to your primary payment card we will charge the alternate card(s) saved in your MLB.com Payment Profile. To update or confirm your credit or debit card information, simply click here.

If you have any questions about your subscription, please e-mail Customer Service at subscriptions@website.mlb.com or call 866-800-1275 (International customers please call 512-434-1542). If you wish to cancel your current subscription, you can do so by accessing the "Audio/Video Subscriptions" section of your MLB.com account and following the instructions or by e-mailing us at subscriptionrenewal@website.mlb.com.

Enjoy the 2014 season.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Wait a second... MLB.tv is available on Roku? Boy do I feel stupid for watching games last year on my laptop while my Roku sat idle.

I had it on my Roku 2 XS and loved it for the most part. And any game that was blacked out for me (when the Brewers played at Texas or Houston) was available to watch after the game was done. Full audio overlay, so I could watch and listen to Ueck.

I'll be signing up again here pretty soon.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Archived