Brewer Fanatic

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2014

JimH5

http://cdn.list25.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Philosoraptor-dentists1.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/1e/02/42/1e0242c25f981df6e1d7327d7e43da2d.jpg

http://www.knowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Toast-Philosoraptor.jpg

http://lolimage.com/img/ups/90587466291337866503.jpeg

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I found out recently that if you move, you should have your mail temporarily forwarded by the post office rather than setting up permanent forwarding. If you set up permanent forwarding, the post office sells your new address to advertisers.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• 4 weeks later...
I have always wondered how many people, when they "have a drink," drink like they do on TV/movies...pouring straight booze without ice into a tumbler and drink it. It seems every TV show and movie, whenever they say "can I fix you a drink" does this. I'm guessing it's because who wants to see someone get ice, open a bottle of soda, and actually mix a drink.

I have always wondered how many people, when they "have a drink," drink like they do on TV/movies...pouring straight booze without ice into a tumbler and drink it. It seems every TV show and movie, whenever they say "can I fix you a drink" does this. I'm guessing it's because who wants to see someone get ice, open a bottle of soda, and actually mix a drink.

They do this on Mad Men all the time. Didn't they have ice buckets in the 1960's?

Nothing more refreshing than a straight up room temperature Scotch!

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Verified Member

As a teen of the 90's, I know I looked ridiculous in baggy jeans and flannel. Seeing the teens today in their skinny jeans brings me to a thought.

I'd rather look ridiculous and be comfortable any day of the week.

I recall reading that one of the reasons why we'd see people light up and have a cigarette in movies and on TV was that it was a simple way to have the actor/character occupied with something vs. just standing there and doing nothing while delivering dialog. It might be the same thing with throwing some ice in a glass and pouring some booze over it.

It might be the same thing with throwing some ice in a glass and pouring some booze over it.

Agree, except for the ice part, like NMF pointed out. The thing is in shows like "Mad Men", they pretty much literally never use ice. Is that how a lot of people drank their cocktails in the '60s?

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

They do this on Mad Men all the time. Didn't they have ice buckets in the 1960's?

Nothing more refreshing than a straight up room temperature Scotch!

http://scotchhunter.com/storing-and-serving-scotch

There is no reason to store malts at low temperatures, and every reason to avoid chilling them or adding ice. Cold numbs the tongue and represses the aroma. Ice also brings about changes in the malt. Whisky most fully expresses itself if it is stored and served at room temperature. A single malt is not meant to be a cold, thirst-quenching drink.

It's no different then those silly bars that pour an ice cold stout, or IPA or porter into a frosty mug... both of which are way too cold to let you truly experience the beer.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

i'm a big whiskey fan and know a lot about how it's made. it's still acceptable in snob-etiquette to add a thimble-full of room-temperature water to dilute the proof if you want. otherwise you can get ice molds that will make a single, large spherical ice cube so your drink stays cold, but the ice doesn't melt rapidly to dilute things. but cold hides a lot of the earthy notes. but if you want to learn to drink whiskey neat, adding water/ice is the way to start and you'll eventually start enjoying the bite.

just guessing, but maybe this is why drinks are often served neat (whiskey neat is not a cocktail):

1. a bottle of soda would otherwise ruin the aesthetic of a pretty bar display

2. would take too much time to watch an actor mixing a cocktail

3. straight booze is seen as more manly/tough

Interesting guesses, GAME05. Labeled bottles would definitely affect the aesthetic aspect.

I mentioned this in an old post, but I'm still wondering why Amish TV and movie characters always use "thee," "thou," and a bunch of old verb conjugations. I've never heard Amish people use any of those words in "real life."

As a really random thought, this is the 18th post in this forum to include the word "Amish."

Community Moderator

I think the whole, no ice thing, is done to make someone look tough. It's old school and manly (grunt).

That said, I love whiskey on the rocks, but have not graduated to neat. Maybe some day.

That does sound terrible. I've found that one movie a day for a few days straight is pretty good when it comes to watching Star Wars. I don't know that I've ever actually done 6 movies in 6 days... usually it ends up taking longer because life gets in the way. Once in college I watched Episodes I-III over the course of 24 hours and that was alright as well because I never watched two immediately back-to-back.

With yesterday being Star Wars day, I got really excited about the prospect of having a Star Wars semi-marathon (all movies over a couple days) right before Episode 7 comes out.

Community Moderator
Don't shoot me, I was a kid when Star Wars came out. I have seen the original three but really don't remember a ton, except from the first one. I've been wanting to watch all six, which would you guys suggest I watch first?

Don't shoot me, I was a kid when Star Wars came out. I have seen the original three but really don't remember a ton, except from the first one. I've been wanting to watch all six, which would you guys suggest I watch first?

http://static.nomachetejuggling.com/machete_order.html

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Ive never considered what order I would show my kids the movies in someday, but the machete order sounds very intriguing and is probably what I will do. I would probably not read that link if you dont want spoilers, but it is 4, 5, 2, 3, and then 6. And then treat one like a movie in the universe that doesn't add to the story being told in 2-6.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Ive never considered what order I would show my kids the movies in someday, but the machete order sounds very intriguing and is probably what I will do. I would probably not read that link if you dont want spoilers, but it is 4, 5, 2, 3, and then 6. And then treat one like a movie in the universe that doesn't add to the story being told in 2-6.

I haven't read all the way through yet but that order makes a lot of sense.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Community Moderator

http://static.nomachetejuggling.com/machete_order.html

Wow that's pretty crazy and I think I will do it that way. Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Belgium v USA in world cup soccer. Being a Belgian American I am very conflicted on what to think of this match. While the Belgian side of me roots for the Belgians the American side of me doesn't care.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived