Brewer Fanatic

Daric Barton

DR28

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think Barton would be a really good option.

Left handed (which we need), excellent defender (which we could really use with our mediocre infield defense), gets on base (always good), cheap (I think he's scheduled to make about $1 million this year), age 28 (prime age to breakout so there's some upside to him).

Of course, he comes with little power and a mixed bag for performance. But give him the chance to play every day and see if he can regain his 2010 form (when he had a 4.8 WAR for Oakland). I don't expect him to be a 5 WAR player, but if he could be a 2.5 WAR guy - it's a big plus. He certainly has a higher upside than Michael Young.

I don't know what he'd cost to get, but I don't think it would be huge.

You let Morris spend another year developing in AAA.

If Barton falters, you're not on the hook for anything. If he does well you have him for a couple of more years.

The big thing is which Barton do you get. He was bad in 2011-12. I haven't seen him much, so I don't really know why he flopped so badly after a great 2010.

Archived