Brewer Fanatic

Will Middlebrooks

Kinda a weird idea but if Boston resigns Drew that means Bogaerts is going to third and no real place for Middlebrooks, I don't know what he would cost in players but if Milwaukee acquired him it would be a long term answer for third and they could move Aramis to first for a year until Morris or Rogers is ready, not sure if its realistic but trying to think outside the box a little bit

I have wanted this kid in Milwaukee for awhile. Not only does Boston have Bogaerts, but they also have Garin Cecchini coming at 3B as well. I am not sure we have anything of use for Boston other than Aramis or Henderson, but I would love to see Middlebrooks at 3B for the next decade for the Crew.

I agree... I would love to see Middlebrooks at 3B... Acquiring him would give us a very nice and young INF... Middlebrooks-Segura-Gennett-Morris(If he pans out).

Don't watch much of the AL but looks like a right handed Juan Francisco, no thanks.

I'd put him in a class above Francisco. His K rate is bad but not as bad as whiffing Juan. He's also better defensively. He's also a little younger and has a lot less pro AB's so more room for improvement presumably.

The price is the question. He has been hyped and so Boston is going to likely have an asking price that's fairly steep.

• 4 months later...
Now that Stephen Drew has signed in Boston, you have to wonder if Middlebrooks time in Boston is close to coming to an end. If he were to be made available, I would definitely have a strong interest in acquiring him given the Brewers lack of long term plan at 3B. Same reason for my interest in Moustakas as well.

Now that Stephen Drew has signed in Boston, you have to wonder if Middlebrooks time in Boston is close to coming to an end. If he were to be made available, I would definitely have a strong interest in acquiring him given the Brewers lack of long term plan at 3B. Same reason for my interest in Moustakas as well.

I completely agree on both counts. I don't think he'd cost a lot and former elite(or at least very good) prospects who are still 23-24-25 and have shown flashes are the type of guys I'd like to add.

The same people talking about how bad these guys are were almost certainly talking about how bad Gomez was a couple of years ago and would have been against trading for him.

It's never sexy to get a guy who's got a very low batting average and is struggling...but if you wait until they figure it out, you're not going to get them.

Middlebrooks for a C prospect.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

The same people talking about how bad these guys are were almost certainly talking about how bad Gomez was a couple of years ago and would have been against trading for him.

It's never sexy to get a guy who's got a very low batting average and is struggling...but if you wait until they figure it out, you're not going to get them.

Middlebrooks for a C prospect.

I agree with both of you but Boston is going to want something more than a C prospect. I would definitely do the trade for a C prospect but I just do not see the Red Sox giving up Middlebrooks for a C prospect.

I would definitely add either Middlebrooks or Moustakas but I am not sure the Royals or the Red Sox are ready to give up on them. I believe the Red Sox would ask for Nelson in return for Middlebrooks but that is an extreme overpay especially in this trade market. I am not sure the Brewers have anything of interest to offer to either teams possibly someone like Richardson could be valuable to the Red Sox.

Moustakas is enticing because of the left-handed bat, but I'd rather have Middlebrooks. I'd give em Thornburg for him, sure seems like an overpay but IMO Thornburg's value will never be much higher than it is right now.

Moustakas is enticing because of the left-handed bat, but I'd rather have Middlebrooks. I'd give em Thornburg for him, sure seems like an overpay but IMO Thornburg's value will never be much higher than it is right now.

And Middlebrooks value has never been lower. That trade would be incredibly stupid for the Brewers.

I think Estrada fills the role nicely in both scenarios i.e. for Middlebrooks or Moustakas. As has been debated at length in other threads, Estrada is just not someone the Brewers should be looking to extend after 2015 when he is 32. Dealing him now makes sense especially when you have Fiers and Nelson to fill his spot in the rotation immediately and long term. I like Marco but he is by no means irreplaceable, especially if you can acquire a potential solution at 3B, you have replacements knocking on the MLB door AND you don't plan on re-signing him after 2015.

What's the old adage...I would rather get rid of a player a year too soon, then a year too late? Marco, while a great #4 or #5 in 2014, is not or should not be in the Brewers plans long term. If he can be used to acquire someone who may fit in long term, I think we have to make the move and insert Nelson or Fiers into the rotation.

And Middlebrooks value has never been lower. That trade would be incredibly stupid for the Brewers.

I don't really think it is THAT bad. Middlebrooks has a very plus arm (former Pitcher), ability to be above average on defense, prototypical body for a 3B, and has plenty of power. High upside into all-star status, to me he is kind of a Go-Go late bloomer possibility. He's lacking in plate discipline, and there were news stories out earlier this year about how his vision had gone bad and he was fixing it.

What is Thornburg? Upside into possible back of rotation guy, good bullpen arm. Of course you can always use more arms, but we can fill a bullpen much easier than we can fill 3B with a very good prospect. Sell high on Thornburg before he blows out his arm or something.

Now we would have to get him inked to an extension, as it appears he's on a 1 year deal. So that would be a downside to commit to that. I may be nuts but that was just my line of thought.

I don't really think it is THAT bad. Middlebrooks has a very plus arm (former Pitcher), ability to be above average on defense, prototypical body for a 3B, and has plenty of power. High upside into all-star status, to me he is kind of a Go-Go late bloomer possibility. He's lacking in plate discipline, and there were news stories out earlier this year about how his vision had gone bad and he was fixing it.

What is Thornburg? Upside into possible back of rotation guy, good bullpen arm. Of course you can always use more arms, but we can fill a bullpen much easier than we can fill 3B with a very good prospect. Sell high on Thornburg before he blows out his arm or something.

Now we would have to get him inked to an extension, as it appears he's on a 1 year deal. So that would be a downside to commit to that. I may be nuts but that was just my line of thought.

The organization believes thornburg can be a number 2 pitcher in the rotation not just a "back of rotation guy". He commands multiple pitches and has better velocity than yovani. We need to get a lot more than a question mark at 3b for him.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

I'll eat my shorts if Thornburg is ever our #2 pitcher. I just do not see it. He may be a #4 at some point, but that would be about as high as I could see that kid going. He may just be right where he belongs in the bullpen, if he can figure that out.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'll eat my shorts if Thornburg is ever our #2 pitcher. I just do not see it. He may be a #4 at some point, but that would be about as high as I could see that kid going. He may just be right where he belongs in the bullpen, if he can figure that out.

I think most people just discredit him because of his smaller frame. He has more pitches than yo, better velocity, and nasty break on his off speed stuff. If he was say 6'5'' and had a fluid delivery I think most people would be as excited as they are about nelson.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Starting pitching especially relatively young starting pitching is at a premium so Middlebrooks is not going to get you a very good or even a moderately good young starting pitcher. Middlebrooks just does not have the value to get anything like that. At best if the Red Sox were to trade Middlebrooks right now they are looking at a package of Magnifico and Morris/Rogers/Delmonico.

Starting pitching especially relatively young starting pitching is at a premium so Middlebrooks is not going to get you a very good or even a moderately good young starting pitcher. Middlebrooks just does not have the value to get anything like that. At best if the Red Sox were to trade Middlebrooks right now they are looking at a package of Magnifico and Morris/Rogers/Delmonico.

I would do that in a second. If we get Middlebrooks you can assume the Brewers could trade away a corner infielder easily enough. I'm not sure I like Jungmann as much as many on here do, but even better if it only cost Magnifico.

I think most people just discredit him because of his smaller frame. He has more pitches than yo, better velocity, and nasty break on his off speed stuff. If he was say 6'5'' and had a fluid delivery I think most people would be as excited as they are about nelson.

Meh, to me that doesn't matter. If you can pitch, you can pitch, no matter what frame you have. I just don't see consistency from him at all. Ball flattens out and I'm not sure about his control.

Comparing him to Yo is not great either. Thorny is 25, and at that age, Yo was being selected to all star games and being in the mix for a cy young. Apples to oranges. Yo never gets the credit he deserves from us.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived