Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2014)

Invader3K
Can somebody please explain to me what the appeal is of the "fireworks" that just explode loudly in the air and make no visual spectacle at all? All they do is set off car alarms. Why does someone 4 blocks south of me get off on launching those things all night long?

I get that there are dozens of people within a mile or two of me launching off fireworks, but where are the police? Are fireworks now legal in Chicago?

Agreed. To each their own I guess, but to me it's literally like burning your money.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stupid things that slow traffic down...

..and my newest one..

- water dripping from an overpass. Zoo interchange construction has an overpass that is dripping water. This, for some reason, brings east bound traffic on I94 to a halt in the morning. As soon as you get by the dripping water, traffic is moving again.

Any type of water on the roads in Phoenix = Armageddon on the highways. No one in Phoenix knows how to drive when it rains, mists, or if someone spits on the road. This is the one thing that annoys me with Phoenix the most.

Stupid things that slow traffic down...

..and my newest one..

- water dripping from an overpass. Zoo interchange construction has an overpass that is dripping water. This, for some reason, brings east bound traffic on I94 to a halt in the morning. As soon as you get by the dripping water, traffic is moving again.

Any type of water on the roads in Phoenix = Armageddon on the highways. No one in Phoenix knows how to drive when it rains, mists, or if someone spits on the road. This is the one thing that annoys me with Phoenix the most.

This. I was on shift the other night when the storm rolled through. Lets just say it was pretty much chaos on the roads. People either fly through the rain and end up hydroplaning and wreck or they literally drive 5mph in all lanes of travel. Maddening.

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Had to make an impromptu trip from Green Bay to Oshkosh yesterday. That was my first time driving that part of 41. It was probably my worst driving experience ever. The road was full of idiots going between 60 and 80 MPH. Countless drivers going slower than me changed lanes only a few feet in front of me, including a few semis, causing me to slam on the brakes. Is it always this bad?

Had to make an impromptu trip from Green Bay to Oshkosh yesterday. That was my first time driving that part of 41. It was probably my worst driving experience ever. The road was full of idiots going between 60 and 80 MPH. Countless drivers going slower than me changed lanes only a few feet in front of me, including a few semis, causing me to slam on the brakes. Is it always this bad?

Yes. Yes it is.

Once you get to more than two lanes, it's too hard to remember that the slower traffic drives on the right.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I work in the shipping industry and I've heard from numerous drivers over the years that WI in general is pretty bad state to drive through. Apparently as a whole we aren't courteous or smart on the roadways. I travel the highways enough on a regular basis to generally agree, way too often there are 2 vehicles side by side traveling the exact same speed blocking the traffic behind and so on. Most people simply don't look at or use their mirrors enough to know what's happening around them.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Wisconsin drivers are notorious for driving slow in the left lane. I thought it was just a myth until I moved away.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I just drove from Milw to Cincy to Detroit to Cleveland and then back to Milw. I agree on the driving issues in WI. But in Indy, Ohio which consumed most of my driving, there are large signs that say slow drivers keep to the right.

These signs are all over. And when you have 3 lanes, semi's are only allowed in the 2 right lanes. This has a huge impact.

Also, people in WI don't know how to merge. Can't tell you how many times I almost had an accident because someone came flying onto the highway from an on-ramp expecting me to magically move out of the way. Hey, Wisconsinites, when you merge it is up to YOU to safely merge onto the highway.

In CA they generally don't have merge lanes, they just shoot you out right into traffic. Makes the freeway come to a halt wherever there is an on-ramp and the slightest bit of traffic. Much worse than having some people who don't know how to merge.

Also, people in WI don't know how to merge. Can't tell you how many times I almost had an accident because someone came flying onto the highway from an on-ramp expecting me to magically move out of the way. Hey, Wisconsinites, when you merge it is up to YOU to safely merge onto the highway.

I'd much rather have people "fly onto" the highway than do the opposite, which is what I see much more frequently. Traffic on the freeway is going 70+ and people trying to enter the freeway doing 45...not a good combination. I think there is a way to "fly onto" the freeway safely...it's not so much about how fast you are going, but it's about assessing the traffic and picking a spot to merge that would cause the least interference with the traffic flow (in other words, don't wait until the on ramp is coming to an end to decide how or where you are going to merge). Same goes with switching lanes. I sometimes feel like people have no idea that they can change the speed of their cars by either pressing down or letting up on the gas peddle. People just tend to put on their blinker on and expect other cars to slow down and let them in. If there is a big open space 1 or two cars ahead of you in the next lane and you want to get into that lane, how about just stepping on the gas a little more and sliding in that big open space instead of trying to squeeze in between the two cars that are driving next to you (or slowing down and sliding in behind the cars next to you if there is a big open space behind them)?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

A lot of Madison drivers have merging issues, but it's much more like Patrick's concern. They don't seem to realize that on ramps, drivers are supposed to approach freeway speed. I wonder if some of this is a consequence of the fact that it took over two decades to upgrade the Beltline into a full-fledged freeway.

One of my big gripes is when drivers on ramps decide to cross the gore and enter the freeway before they're supposed to. That usurps things for everyone who tries to go by the rules.

And it's a real drag that all bets are off when you have to enter or exit via the left lane. The left lane suddenly becomes a slow lane both before and after the ramp, and after entering, it's hard to move over when traffic in the lane to the right is going significantly faster. This isn't the fault of drivers; it's the nature of the beast.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

That is definitely not unique to Wisconsin.

One thing I hate is when there's a sign telling people that a lane is closing a mile ahead, people wait until the last possible second to get over. That the very thing that causes delays. Just move over right away even if traffic is a little slower. Makes me wanna punch my dashboard.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

We've had this discussion before, but Minnesota promotes the "scissors" technique. Traffic uses both lanes, and vehicles take turns merging at the point of the closure. Apparently, this is much faster and more efficient than moving into a single lane a mile or more before the closure.

Of course, drivers need to be educated for this to work. It's no good if only a few people do it; that results in the frustration that homer expressed.

We've had this discussion before,

I probably started it. :)

Were I a Cavaliers fan, I don't think I could welcome LeBron back. I was trying to think of a Brewers equivalent. Molitor? Prince? Maybe a MKE equivalent would be if the Braves had tried to come back in the late 60s.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Were I a Cavaliers fan, I don't think I could welcome LeBron back. I was trying to think of a Brewers equivalent. Molitor? Prince? Maybe a MKE equivalent would be if the Braves had tried to come back in the late 60s.

I never understood the LeBron hate when he left. He took less money for a better chance to win a championship. Isn't that what fans want out of athletes, to put winning over money?

I'd like to think Molitor would have been welcomed back if he had come back late in his career (for example, after his two seasons in Toronto). He basically wanted to stay in Milwaukee, and got low balled.

Fielder, I'm not so sure if he would be. I think most fans knew all along he would be bolting out of Milwaukee the minute he hit free agency. That tends to leave a sour taste in the mouths of most fans.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm annoyed with businesses that don't return phone calls. That's almost becoming the rule rather than the exception.

I'm annoyed with businesses that don't return phone calls. That's almost becoming the rule rather than the exception.

Yeah, it can get really old. It's like, "Hello, I'm trying to give you money...maybe you could possibly call me back if you maybe sort of feel like it? Thanks."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived