Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2014)

Invader3K
I'm getting really, really tired of reading these stories about high school kids asking a celebrity to prom via twitter (and just to clarify, I'm not talking about kids who are dying or anything). Seriously.....it's been done. It's not cool anymore. How about you grow a set and ask someone from your school? Just once I'd like to see a celebrity respond with something to the extent of "no way you loser". Is that mean?

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm getting really, really tired of reading these stories about high school kids asking a celebrity to prom via twitter (and just to clarify, I'm not talking about kids who are dying or anything). Seriously.....it's been done. It's not cool anymore. How about you grow a set and ask someone from your school? Just once I'd like to see a celebrity respond with something to the extent of "no way you loser". Is that mean?

I hear you. Unfortunately, as is the case with several annoying (to me at least) things in today's society, the media is fueling the fire. I'm sure that Mary Lou sent Ricky Nelson an invite to prom via 'snail mail' back in the day, but something tells me that isn't the sort of thing that Huntley and Brinkley would have reported on.

I hear you. Unfortunately, as is the case with several annoying (to me at least) things in today's society, the media is fueling the fire. I'm sure that Mary Lou sent Ricky Nelson an invite to prom via 'snail mail' back in the day, but something tells me that isn't the sort of thing that Huntley and Brinkley would have reported on.

The problem is you're expecting the media to report on something that might actually be news instead of the same social media/celebrity gossip crap they've been feeding us for years. The kids see all the attention someone else got from it and do it themselves.

To build off of that, it's bugging me how often news stories ("legitimate" news stories) use social media posts as quotes from the parties involved. After the State of the Union the newspaper ran a section of Twitter posts from lawmakers for their coverage.

Facebook

It's a joke and I don't know why I don't just get rid of it. The timeline has become the email forward of the early/mid 2000's. I rarely check it now and if I do, I try not to look at the timeline.

lately my father has been referring to me as "my son," as in "Good morning, my son. Welcome to the world." it's tremendously annoying and weird. except saying anything to him about it will make him cry.

Im sitting here hammered in the LAX United Club, and everyone in here has a mac air. Why do people buy these machines, you can get the same things for half the price.

Also, do you all feel like you dont actually know anyone in real life who you can talk to about baseball with any real meaning. I mean I am looking at all these people and I guarantee you none of them know who Mel Ott is.

I was talking to a guy I work with and he had never heard of Yogi Berra, I mean like nothing. It would be like if someone said to you "hey, you know about that female professional athlete?"

Just no idea.

And how many people know that Christy Mathewson threw 3 shutouts in the 1905 world series? I bet like me and 10 other people, tops. I bet Christy Mathewson's own living great grand children dont even know that. And speaking of grand children, did you know that president John Tyler has 2 LIVING grandchildren, who are currently alive. I should post this in the "not things that are bad thread", but Im too lazy right now. I will however probably go look over there soon

Also, do you all feel like you dont actually know anyone in real life who you can talk to about baseball with any real meaning. I mean I am looking at all these people and I guarantee you none of them know who Mel Ott is.

This is one of my favorite drunkely-stated things ever

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Please do not call me precisely 22 seconds after sending me an e-mail asking if I got your e-mail about a service request. I have a tendency to go on coffee breaks when I hang up the phone.

The curmudgeon is back.

I realized today that I made an error on taxes. I already filed, which means I have to amend my tax return. The error hurts us and benefits the government, so at least I wouldn't have gotten in trouble. It just means I made a $200 error. It bugs me.

I realized today that I made an error on taxes. I already filed, which means I have to amend my tax return. The error hurts us and benefits the government, so at least I wouldn't have gotten in trouble. It just means I made a $200 error. It bugs me.

Reverse who benefits from the error and the IRS is on you quicker than stink on poo. That would bug me.

I rarely watch anything on ESPN these days that isn't a live sporting event. Being a little sick the past couple of days has allowed me to watch Sportscenter and some other ESPN programming. Multiple times I have noticed the anchors and reporters interviewing someone using the phrase, "Talk about ____." Notice there is no question mark punctuating the end of that sentence... because it isn't a question!

Malcolm Moran's February Article covered this in much greater detail than I ever could. It has really turned into a pet peeve of mine as well. You are being paid as a professional to ask sports figures QUESTIONS, and the best you can come up with is "Talk about ____". There is no skill to that type of interview style whatsoever. It really shouldn't be that difficult to frame some questions around the topics you want the person to "talk about". Maybe this is petty on my part, but it just doesn't come across as a professional approach.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I understand your point EBaN. I can see this as a skit on SNL or a scene on Portlandia where someone is being interviewed and asked to "talk about" random thinks that have nothing to do with anything that is relevent to the interviewee.... "Talk about fruit", "Talk about the French Revolution", etc.

However, I sometimes prefer that type of interviewing rather than asking direct questions. Perhaps "Talk about coach Smith" will get a more interesting answer and lead to further questions and discussion than "How do you feel about coach Smith's style of coaching?". Perhaps there is an interesting story about the player borrowing a jacket from "Coach Smith" that the interviewer would have no way of knowing about and would not be touched on if he was just asked to answer how he feels about Smith's coaching style.

I guess the only time it would really bother me is if it were a more serious interview where the person (athlete, politician, or whoever) being interviewed was perhaps being charged or investigated for something. In that instance I would be more interested in seeing more "hard hitting" questions that get to the point.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Every year I have the kind of strange tradition of going and buying the Brewers media guide a few weeks before Opening Day as part of getting psyched up for the season. The media guides were released last week so I went down to the stadium on Friday night picking up that and a Brewers car decal since I got a new vehicle since the end of last season. My son and I put it on later that night, both excited and talking baseball. Saturday pretty early AM, we went out to the car and naturally, someone had taken the time to steal a $4 car decal. I am not complaining about the loss of $4, but seriously? Someone spent five minutes of their Friday night stealing a Brewers decal off of my car? It had definitely not just fallen off or something. It was on very tight and we looked everywhere around the car just to make sure. I know I should probably have parked in the garage, but still.

Rant over.

Still, that is the weakest move ever. I'd go get another one, make a big scene putting it on your car (maybe some fireworks, you know, that type of stuff), and then camp out that night with a paintball gun! See if they go for it again!

What is with weather.com's obsession with death?

Before I get a bunch of replies about how weather.gov is a much better weather site...I agree. However, I still occasionally go to weather.com because I like to compare 7-10 day forecasts from different sites. Seems like there is always some story they want you to click on about a bride or groom dying right after their wedding or a teenager dying after competing in a sporting event or something. How is any of this weather related?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived