Brewer Fanatic

2014 lineup

MVP2110

Considering that the recent lineup has produced consistent offense I'd like to see this lineup when Aramis returns:

1. Segura SS (Not Gomez? Darn tootin'. His bat has started to kick in leadoff)

2. Braun RF

3. Lucroy C (Among the league leaders in BA)

4. Gomez CF (What, you say???? Yeah - he's been scalding since he's been in this position)

5. Ramirez 3B (Don't want to pitch to Gomez? Deal with Ramirez... yikes)

6. Reynolds 1B (low BA but dangerous)

7. Davis LF (maybe he should just bat from the 6th inning on...)

8. Gennet/Weeks 2B

9. Pitcher P

I know the typical leadoff hitter is fast, light-hitting with high OBP. We don't really have that, but this lineup has been working so there's little reason to mess with it when Ramirez comes back. Thoughts?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Considering that the recent lineup has produced consistent offense I'd like to see this lineup when Aramis returns:

1. Segura SS (Not Gomez? Darn tootin'. His bat has started to kick in leadoff)

2. Braun RF

3. Lucroy C (Among the league leaders in BA)

4. Gomez CF (What, you say???? Yeah - he's been scalding since he's been in this position)

5. Ramirez 3B (Don't want to pitch to Gomez? Deal with Ramirez... yikes)

6. Reynolds 1B (low BA but dangerous)

7. Davis LF (maybe he should just bat from the 6th inning on...)

8. Gennet/Weeks 2B

9. Pitcher P

I know the typical leadoff hitter is fast, light-hitting with high OBP. We don't really have that, but this lineup has been working so there's little reason to mess with it when Ramirez comes back. Thoughts?

I don't like giving one of our 3 worst hitters the most plate appearances. I'd rather Segura hit 7 or 8, Lucroy lead off, and everyone else move up a spot. I just think the team has 4 really good hitters, I want them hitting 1-4 in some fashion.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The only thing I don't like about Lucroy is that despite his good BA, his speed on the basepaths is average at best. Segura has flourished in leadoff, so it seems sensible to keep him there. If he starts to falter, then my inclination would be to move Gomez back to leadoff, put Ramirez as cleanup and move Segura 7th. It seems that Weeks has been doing well lately, so I'd be inclined to give him more games vs RHP. If he does well he increases his trade value and/or helps us into the playoffs. If he doesn't, well, Gennet will get his playing time back.

I like Braun in the #2 spot. I think it lessens the probability that Roenicke will bunt if our leadoff batter gets on base.

Very, very good point. Amazing how many big innings they've had since they stopped the playing for one run at a time.

Lucroy is not 'fast', but he's certainly not slow enough that I'd consider him a base clogger, and his OBP% is far more important than how fast he is.

I refuse to use blue font.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Where do you put Aramis when he comes back? Davis is out hitting him so far this year by a good margin?

I hit him 4th. Davis 5th. Move Gomez back to leadoff and get our .280 OBP over his last 450 PA SS out of the leadoff role.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

To my eye, Braun is clearly struggling a little still (maybe forever) with the thumb and chest. But struggling to a .320ish average, hey!

I really like Braun 2. I wonder if he decided to cut back even a bit more on his swing, if he would turn into a Tony Gwynn .360+ batter.

The lineup now, is quite good. Segura even has spoke about a wee bit of a different approach 'I know I have to get on base'. RRR said sometimes moving a guy into the leadoff will spark him. That seems to have worked.

Honestly, if this lineup stays healthy (on the field), it is fun to watch. I mean when you are looking forward to 6 and 7 (Reynolds/Davis) to pound the ball, and 8 will likely give you a good at bat, then something is right. To me the joy is this: this lineup is likely the one for 2015 as well. Only an upgrade could happen. Imagine getting a true power left hand first baseman. But if Reynolds continues on, you may not even 'need' that.

The lineup now, is quite good. Segura even has spoke about a wee bit of a different approach 'I know I have to get on base'. RRR said sometimes moving a guy into the leadoff will spark him. That seems to have worked.

His .611 OPS in the leadoff spot says otherwise. Why can't we hit our 4 best hitters 1-4? Sigh.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Until something changes, I think the lineup is fine how it is. We don't have good OBP guys. That Gomez is 3rd on the team with 21 walks after 71 games is severely bothersome. I know Braun has missed some time, but his walk rate is down considerably from his 3 year rate. Rami and Segura have over 450 PA's, and have taken a combined 16 walks. Davis has improved, and should continue to do so going forward, but this lineup is what it is. A bunch of free swingers who are not going to draw a lot of walks.

First time in I don't know how long I'm perfectly comfortable with the line-up. Including how 2B platoon is used. As RoCo says, ride this as long as it's working. When Segura is the #8 hitter, things are going pretty well. I could see him flipping with Reynolds if he heats up, but either way is fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm pretty good with the line up as well.

Scooter and Weeks are hitting well in the platoon. No point in breaking it up something that's successful.

Reynolds isn't hitting like I hoped (I was thinking he could maybe get a .750-.760 OPS), but he's been playing really good defense. So that kind of evens it all out. Plus, he's the kind of guy that can go on a tear and really lift a team up.

Segura isn't very good, but we really don't have any other options. At least he brings solid defense to the table. Plus he has shown the ability to hit better. With that in mind, I'm okay with a below average hitter at this point. He doesn't need to be a .300 hitter to do well, but if he can even improve to average, that would be great.

The one semi-regular that really has no business on the team is Overbay. He's got a .699 OPS against right handers this year. In 2013, it was .749. In 2012, it was .751. Again, that's against right handers (we won't go into his hitting against left handers). At 37, I just don't see him doing much better than he is. But the club seems to like him, so whatever works. I just hope they can limit his at bats.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Agree with dhonks lineup

Gomez days in the 1 spot should be over. We get more out of him in the heart of the order with his power AND bunting ability (3rd base runner, 1 out). This would shift his focus to hitting more/ running into outs less.

Archived