Brewer Fanatic

2014 lineup

MVP2110
I understand the Brewers really pounded the ball today, but the lineup that the Brewers put out there today is the best they can do with the current players on the roster:

1. Gomez

2. Segura

3. Braun

4. Ramirez

5. Lucroy

6. Davis

7. Reynolds

8. Gennett

Didn't Segura thrive in the bottom of the order last year? I really, really like Lucroy in the 5 spot. I'm not opposed to him hitting 2nd, but he is a great follow to Aramis. I wouldn't mind a flip of Segura and Scooter to bust up the righties at the top... however if that is happening then I think Scooter should be getting most of the starts then to avoid constant changes to the top of the order.

I think LiveforOctober that you are thinking like I would. WTP's Lineup is the one I Want...Vs. Lefties. but I guess toss Weeks in at 8. And then vs. Righties I bat Segura 2nd for now, bat Segura 6th,Davis 7th and Reynolds 8th.

Segura's struggles what it is, deserves that kind of demotion in the lineup vs. Righties. Gennett breaks up the RH bats atop the order vs. putting Schafer/Overbay/Gennett at the bottom vs. a Righty.

I think for now 1:Gomez 3:Braun 4:ARam 5:Lucroy is permanent when they start. the rest? are interchangeable.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
I would like Roenicke to explain why Overbay has more PA's in the last couple weeks than Reynolds. This should not be a platoon situation, Reynolds is better. All this PT for Overbay is silly.

I'll happily eat crow, especially if he keeps on walking, and his BABIP stays over .500 all year.

In general, i'd rather see Gomez hitting somewhere around 5th or 6th in a batting order with Lucroy hitting 2nd, but looking at the roster, there really is no obvious leadoff hitter option at all. So i guess for now, it may as well be Carlos because who else is there to replace him and instead let Gomez be in an RBI spot in the order?

I fully supported the Aoki trade at the time and still do, especially in watching Smith pitch and seeing Davis starting to get hot at the plate. That said, the trade did remove the only obvious leadoff candidate on the team and someone has to bat there.

Last 22 games for Gomez: .227/.289/.455/.743

I think, with everyone healthy, Lucroy should be the guy hitting leadoff, with Braun 2, and Ramirez 3....Maybe Gomez hitting 4. If Votto can hit 2nd, Braun can hit 2nd.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I would like Roenicke to explain why Overbay has more PA's in the last couple weeks than Reynolds. This should not be a platoon situation, Reynolds is better. All this PT for Overbay is silly.

Overbay in April .300/.404/.425

Reynolds in April .224/.302/.500

Reynolds has the power ... and 4 of his 6 home runs in April came off of righties. I certainly feel Reynolds should get the majority of the playing time.. but Overbay has shown a good eye at the plate and I'm not mad if he spells Reynolds against tough righties.

Overbay in April .300/.404/.425

Reynolds in April .224/.302/.500

Reynolds has the power ... and 4 of his 6 home runs in April came off of righties. I certainly feel Reynolds should get the majority of the playing time.. but Overbay has shown a good eye at the plate and I'm not mad if he spells Reynolds against tough righties.

Do we know any mad scientists that can combine these two guys into one?

Never mind, with the way our luck has been going as of late, we'd end up with a punch and judy hitter than can't get on base. :laughing

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Well, the day has come.

Looks like our basic line-up while Ramirez is on the shelf will be Reynolds at 3B and Overbay at 1B...

I admit, they have both outperformed my expectations to this point, and you just knew it would happen sometime during the season (ARam injury)...

I hope they both go on a tear the next 2 weeks, and Braun doesn't re-injure himself in the process of trying to come back too soon.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Well, the day has come.

Looks like our basic line-up while Ramirez is on the shelf will be Reynolds at 3B and Overbay at 1B...

I admit, they have both outperformed my expectations to this point, and you just knew it would happen sometime during the season (ARam injury)...

I hope they both go on a tear the next 2 weeks, and Braun doesn't re-injure himself in the process of trying to come back too soon.

"The day has come" just about sums it up. I was nervously ok with the platoon at first but am nervously not ok with both guys playing everyday. How are Green and Morris doing down in AAA?

Doesn't matter how they are doing, Reynolds and Overbay are gritty vets, they are RRR guys, they will grind it out...
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I couldn't agree more. Melvin really needs to work his magic because guys like Overbay, Bianchi, Herrara just are not going to get the job done this season. If its signing Morales after the draft, fine, but we can't stand pat. Especially with the injury prone Braun and Ramirez that we cannot seem to count on being in the lineup.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Teams early on tested Overbay's ability at 37 to get around on good fastballs. He passed that test but now they are back to feeding him changeups which he's always struggled with going back to the days Roy Oswalt used to make him look bad.

I disagree with Brew4U about Bianchi. Bianchi hasn't had a ton of AB's but he's there for his defense which has been stellar and given enough AB's he'll get some hits. Almost all teams have guys on their benches that don't provide much offense. Bianchi gives them defense and that helps the pitching staff.

1/4 of the season has passed and Bianchi has a .145/.172/.145 line! A .317 OPS!!! All that great Defense helping his WAR and he's still accumulated -.6WAR thus far on the season.

I don't think this can continue between the 1b/2b platoon. And then the Defensive replacements but awful offensive guys in Schafer/Maldonado/Bianchi. Melvin needs to go out there and find some spark plug guy offensively to put on the bench. The problem is look over the Baseball landscape and there isn't one. So it is what it is. Just wait this out til 2nd week of June and then I imagine the Callups begin across baseball which will also mean the more guys to get via Waivers who will be better options over Bianchi/Overbay.

1/4 of the season has passed and Bianchi has a .145/.172/.145 line! A .317 OPS!!! All that great Defense helping his WAR and he's still accumulated -.6WAR thus far on the season.

I don't think this can continue between the 1b/2b platoon. And then the Defensive replacements but awful offensive guys in Schafer/Maldonado/Bianchi. Melvin needs to go out there and find some spark plug guy offensively to put on the bench. The problem is look over the Baseball landscape and there isn't one. So it is what it is. Just wait this out til 2nd week of June and then I imagine the Callups begin across baseball which will also mean the more guys to get via Waivers who will be better options over Bianchi/Overbay.

By then we'll be back in 3rd place in the division. :(

Verified Member

Ryan Braun is bating 2nd today.

Saw it mentioned this is the first time since 9/20/10 that he batted 2nd. That's not correct per Baseball Reference. Corey Hart batted 2nd that day.

Another link I found via Google claims it was 9/10/10. But once again that's wrong as well. Corey Hart batted 2nd that day as well.

So what was the official last game that Ryan Braun started and batted 2nd?

It's sad I have to sit and fact check for the sports writers.

Ryan Braun is bating 2nd today.

Saw it mentioned this is the first time since 9/20/10 that he batted 2nd. That's not correct per Baseball Reference. Corey Hart batted 2nd that day.

Another link I found via Google claims it was 9/10/10. But once again that's wrong as well. Corey Hart batted 2nd that day as well.

So what was the official last game that Ryan Braun started and batted 2nd?

It's sad I have to sit and fact check for the sports writers.

Quick look on BRef and it shows 9-30-2010. That Braun batted 2nd 4times in 2010. The mentioned 9-30, 6-4, 6-2, and 5-30.

Verified Member

Thank you!

Tom Hardicourt should verify before posting going forward.

They ought to keep Braun 2nd in the order even when Ramirez is ready to come back. I like it they moved Gomez down in the order. And LuCroy batting 3rd works for me.

Maldonado is hitting great. he's already in a top tier of defensive catchers and has played 1b before. I'd love to see him in the lineup more. with Overbay playing regularly, to a tune of .138/.215/.207 (over the past month). Why couldn't Lucroy or Maldonado play 1B at least until A-Ram comes back?

Archived