SS Segura

LF Davis

RF Braun

C Lucroy

3B Ramirez

CF Gomez

1B Reynolds

2B Gennett/Bianchi

Against RHP, I have either Gindl in LF or Francisco/Overbay at 1B. Not a strict platoon at either spot, but just to get one more lefty bat in there. Bianchi gets about half the starts vs. LHP at 2B, keeping Gennett in there the other half for developmental purposes. In my world Weeks is playing for another team somewhere. Schafer gets a start once a week for Gomez in CF. Once a week Reynolds moves across the diamond to rest Ramirez and whichever lefty bat, presumably Francisco or Overbay plays 1B on those days.

On days were Maldanado is playing, he bats 8th vs. RHP and 7th vs. LHP.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Basically depends on the 2nd base situation. If Weeks gets the job, I fully expect him to be leading off (don't kill the messenger), with something like Segura, Braun, Ramirez, Gomez, Lucroy, 1st Baseman, Davis. If Gennett gets the job, I'll bet Segura leads off and Scooter hits second. For what it's worth, I'd be very surprised if Weeks doesn't get at least a month with the job with Gennett down in Nashville. I've seen nothing from Melvin's track record to suggest otherwise. Big money guys get every chance to fail, and since Gennett only plays 2B, I bet he will get sent down to 'play every day'. Also, Weeks is seen as a clubhouse leader, so I really doubt that they will do anything, unless he can be moved in a trade.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone who knows more about baseball than me help me out? My understanding of the 8 spot in the lineup is that you won't see as many hittable pitches. With that said, wouldn't a guy like Reynolds (Who I understand is Adam Dunn-like in being picky/taking walks) be a good candidate for this spot? Maximizing his OBP by allowing him to take walks seems ideal to carry the pitchers spot and hopefully allow us to lead off the next inning with our #1 at a higher clip. Reynolds seems to be the ultimate feast or famine guy and the 8 spot seems like a good place for that type of hitter, given we have other guys to drive in runs at the premier spots in the lineup. Also, Gomez 6th and Scooter 7th (guys who can run a little bit) seem to be good fits in front of a guy who takes pitches to allow them to create a little havoc. My lineup would be K Davis in the 2, Gogo 6, Scooter 7, Reynolds 8 ...

Why would that not be a great idea? (Legitimately asking)

Whatever the lineup might end up being on opening day, at the very least I can say most assuredly that Yuniesky Betancourt is not going to be in it, and for that, I am eternally grateful!

I can't wait to see an outfield of Khris Davis, Carlos Gomez and Ryan Braun all healthy to start the season.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

My only concern is Gennett in the #8 spot and I will refer to this as the JJ Hardy problem. As I recall, when JJ came up and was really struggling, a lot of the blame was thrown at him not seeing any pitches in the #8 hole and having to adjust. I worry about Gennett having the same issue.

I think Gennett is the least-gifted hitter out of those 8 regulars (save maybe Reynolds), so I don't see any problem with him hitting 8th. The last part of his offensive game that can realistically come around is BB rate, & if anything the #8 spot should give him ample opportunity to take his walks. Unless he takes a major step forward as a hitter in 2014, I definitely don't want to see him ahead of anyone of note in this lineup.

I would agree that at least early on, having Gennett in the 8 spot is ideal. I don't expect him to replicate his numbers from last year. If he hits .270 with some extra base pop (doubles and the occasional triple or home run), and gives us some solid, if not spectacular defense, I'd be happy. Give him the chance to see more legit Major League starters, and work on developing his eye at the highest level. If he can up his walk rate even a little bit, then he's got a much better chance of being a long term solution at second. If we get a plus average first baseman in the next year or two, be it Morris, or somebody else we trade for, then I'm ok with Scooter at second.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

If Scooter keeps up last year's walk rate and hits .270, his obp will be around Rickie's 2013 obp of.309. Given Scooter's numbers have decline with every promotion, we may soon pine for 2012 when our 2B produced a .728 OPS, with 29 doubles, 21 hrs, and 74 walks.

fwiw, Rickie hit 240/324/425 in his last 60 games in 2013. Brewer fans will declare Scooter the greatest 2B in history if he puts up those numbers in 2014.

If he can up his walk rate even a little bit, then he's got a much better chance of being a long term solution at second

If he hits 8th we probably don't want his walk rate to go up. If he is walking a lot it means teams are pitching around him so they can face the pitcher. I guess that's ok if you want to turn the lineup over it also means you are pretty much either giving up on the inning or at the very least giving up an out to bunt Gennett over.

I know Mark Reynolds has power but in the last four years he's hit .198 (.320 OBP) .221 (323 OBP), .221 (.335 OBP) and .220 (.306 OBP). Juan Francisco hasn't had an OBP over .300 since 2010 and has a career .243 average. I think whoever plays first base this year is far and away the worst hitter we have. I'd rather put the all or nothing guy in the 8th spot than put Gennett there hoping he'll draw more walks.

I know I'll probably get knocked for this but I'd bat Gennett 2nd. Hitting between Segura and Braun not only will you go righty-lefty-righty but he'll probably see better pitches as teams won't want to put him on ahead of Braun, Ramirez, Gomez. and Lucroy. He only struck out once every five and a half at bats last year (over his minor league career it was once every 7 at bats). You want the top of the order putting the ball in play. He has decent speed and has shown over the course of his career that he'll hit for average. I don't understand all of these assumptions that he'll regress to be .260-.270 hitter. Maybe it will happen but I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, my lineup would be:

1) Segura

2) Gennett

3) Braun

4) Ramirez

5) Gomez

6) Lucroy

7) Davis

8) Reynolds/Francisco/Overbay/Green/Yuni (after we inevitably re-sign him)

1) Weeks/Scooter 50/50 platoon... let us gently see what we have in these two guys

2) Lucroy... a steady, level headed, OBP guy here, no need for stolen bases in front of the next two

3) Braun

4) Ramirez... please don't have bad knees this year; we have no backup for you in cleanup

5) Gomez... if you put him too high he runs into outs; if you put him 4, he thinks he is a home run king; here he can PLAY all roles

6) Segura... you could argue to put Jean at 6, to let Gomez AND Jean have 'fun' in front of Reynolds

7) Reynolds... his long at bats (Ks and/or home runs!) will give Gomez and Jean time to have fun; from time to time Green or Francisco as lefty

8) Davis

When Maldy gives Lucroy a rest, every 5th/6th day (maybe try to time for a left hand opponent starter?) - Maldy should bat 8, and just move all up ONE SPOT. But they never do that, do they?

The biggest problem above can be is ARam is not healthy to play 150 games. Because managers do not like to shuffle, it simply means you put a different number four batter in... likely Reynolds (and the odd Juan Fran v righties). So your entire feeling of the lineup changes. Then to replace ARam in the field, you end up with Green in the 8 spot, and Davis at 7.

But, all in all, that appears to be an above average batting lineup.

1) Weeks/Scooter 50/50 platoon... let us gently see what we have in these two guys

2) Lucroy... a steady, level headed, OBP guy here, no need for stolen bases in front of the next two

3) Braun

4) Ramirez... please don't have bad knees this year; we have no backup for you in cleanup

5) Gomez... if you put him too high he runs into outs; if you put him 4, he thinks he is a home run king; here he can PLAY all roles

6) Segura... you could argue to put Jean at 6, to let Gomez AND Jean have 'fun' in front of Reynolds

7) Reynolds... his long at bats (Ks and/or home runs!) will give Gomez and Jean time to have fun; from time to time Green or Francisco as lefty

8) Davis

I think Lucroy would do just fine in the cleanup spot. While not necessarily bringing the 30 HR potential, Lucroy at cleanup would bring almost exactly what Ramirez can bring at this stage of their careers .285 20-25 HR. The only issue is when Ramirez is hurt or needs a day. That backup 3B (Bianchi, Green, ?) should move to #8 and it really shortens the lineup.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Segura - Best option; Best OBP in minors among other options;

2) Lucroy - Since Braun won't be moved here, his bat plays well; Solid OBP/Pop; Hits behind runner; Segura running to stay out of DP

3) Braun

4) Ramirez

5) Gomez - Doesn't have to change his mentality; If OBP drops to career norm, not an issue with same power

6) Davis - Another power option; Will allow Gomez to run;

7) Reynolds - His plate game plan not affected by hitting in front of pitcher. High K's but big power in lower third

8) Pitcher - Normally PH for in late innings, so extra ABs not a concern; clear him one batter before top

9) Gennett - Doesn't have to hit in front of pitcher; Another hitter before the top guys;

Weeks might - just might - be a better hitter this year. However, his defense is historically bad and he's been the worst second baseman in the league, by far, by the metrics.

Weeks will be starting at 2B this year, and I would like to see him leading off. Gennett, while I like the kid, just doesn't offer much with the bat. Weeks is having a nice spring so far, and I expect him to bounce back and have a more Rickiesque year. .250ish, nice OBP, and 15hr.

• 2 weeks later...
I just don't understand how Reynolds could be in the mix unless you want a first baseman who will bat equal to or below .225

Because his .320 OBP when he hits .220 will be higher than Overbay's .300 OBP when he hits .250.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Wow that's a big difference between the two...NOT. So one gets on a few more times than the other...we are still left with who is going to drive them in once they get on...I'm so tired of seeing experienced veterans that can't hit get opportunity after opportunity. Personally, I'd rather see Rogers at first base than these two. He only made two of the best plays at first base in all of spring training, plus you can pay him the minimum. I can't wait to see how this whole first base situation plays out during the year. I hope I'm wrong about whoever they keep but we'll see.

All these discussions and I don't think one of them had Gomez at #1. But that's what we'll be getting... Go ahead and cement #1. Gomez from here on out.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140322&content_id=69889498&notebook_id=69894680&vkey=notebook_mil&c_id=mil

Just saw that. wow. Let's just begin to think that he may out WAR Trout now this year if he holds on to leadoff with the what? 120-140PAs more than the 6th in order suggesting? This does solve the where to fit Gomez problem...Just ignore the .300OB or so you now have a more settled/traditional 3,4,5,6 in Braun,ARam,Lucroy,Davis.

I do have a feeling this is a better move than batting Segura leadoff today. I think he needs to improve a little more. I am thinking Gomez single/double...Segura bunt sac/single let Braun/Aram drive Gomez in is a sound strategy. You flip the roles and you just cant ask Gomez to bunt...Segura on the other hand....why not? less power, plenty of speed.

So it's now looking like...

Gomez

Segura

Braun

Ramirez

Lucroy

Weeks/Gennett

Davis

Reynolds/Overbay

6-8 will probably a bit different at times depending on who is in the lineup, but 1-5 is cemented.

Hate the Gomez in the leadoff spot call by RRR...

Who would you put leadoff, especially knowing RRR loves to bunt the 2nd guy, rather bunt Segura than Gomez, although I agree I hate putting a guy with 20 hr potential in the leadoff spot. But this team has no true leadoff guy or even close to it

All these discussions and I don't think one of them had Gomez at #1. But that's what we'll be getting... Go ahead and cement #1. Gomez from here on out.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140322&content_id=69889498&notebook_id=69894680&vkey=notebook_mil&c_id=mil

Just saw that. wow. Let's just begin to think that he may out WAR Trout now this year if he holds on to leadoff with the what? 120-140PAs more than the 6th in order suggesting? This does solve the where to fit Gomez problem...Just ignore the .300OB or so you now have a more settled/traditional 3,4,5,6 in Braun,ARam,Lucroy,Davis.

I do have a feeling this is a better move than batting Segura leadoff today. I think he needs to improve a little more. I am thinking Gomez single/double...Segura bunt sac/single let Braun/Aram drive Gomez in is a sound strategy. You flip the roles and you just cant ask Gomez to bunt...Segura on the other hand....why not? less power, plenty of speed.

Why not? Because that's terrible strategy. Unless you think Segura is basically the equivalent of a pitcher with the bat.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived