Brewer Fanatic

2014 lineup

MVP2110

I don't think we have a topic for this yet, if I am wrong go ahead and lock this and I apologize. But I think right now we have a very interesting lineup that is tough to put players into specific places but if today were opening I would go

Vs rhp:

Segura

Gennett

Braun

Ramirez

Lucroy

Gomez

Davis

Francisco

Vs lhp:

Segura

Weeks

Braun

Ramirez

Lucroy

Gomez

Davis

Halton

Although definitely not set in stone with that lineup

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gomez

Segura

Braun

Ramirez

Lucroy

Davis

Francisco/Halton

Gennett/Weeks

Gomez and/or Segura will be on base better than 50% of the time (hoping Gomez keeps progressing). Having them on for Braun/Ramirez/Lucroy could mean a few extra mistakes to hit. You could flip flop 1 and 2 as well.

I'm just going to put this lineup card together and believe this is how it shapes out until further notice:

1-Segura

2-Gennett/Weeks Platoon

3-Braun

4-ARam

5-Lucroy

6-Gomez

7-Davis

8-1b

Though, I'd honestly prefer this lineup:

Segura

Lucroy vs LHP/Gennett vs RHP Platoon

Braun

ARam

Lucroy vs. RHP/Davis vs LHP

Gomez

Davis vs. RHP/1b platoon vs. LHP

Weeks vs LHP/1b platoon vs RHP

SP

• 2 weeks later...
My lineup is going to include Ike Davis... Who I believe will be the Brewers 1B come Opening Day.

Segura

Gomez

Braun

Ramirez

Lucroy

Ike Davis

Khris Davis

Gennett/Weeks

Boy that looks petty good.

I'm having a hard time figuring out where Gomez should be..... What is his ideal spot in the lineup if we are just talking about him and not other players on the team determining where he should bat?

I also believe Ike will eventually be in Milwaukee so I will do the same...

SS Segura

2B Gennett

RF Braun

3B Ramirez

C Lucroy

1B I. Davis

CF Gomez

LF K. Davis

I like the idea of Gennett hitting #2 and seeing pitches to hit in front of Braun. I do have a hard time not putting Lucroy in at #2 but he is a very good run producer and could see him actually hitting #3 and Braun #4 if Ramirez were to be dealt.

I am preparing myself for the Weeks leading off lineup that will be coming if/when he wins the 2B job over Gennett.

I'm having a hard time figuring out where Gomez should be..... What is his ideal spot in the lineup if we are just talking about him and not other players on the team determining where he should bat?

Since he's probably never going to be a guy who takes a lot of walks and has a +350 OBP, I would bat him 6th. Let him swing away.

Also then if you do get some hits out of 7-8-9, he's got plenty of speed to take an extra base and maybe steal a run.

I agree. Gomez shouldn't be used at the top of the order. He finally broke out of his shell when he was allowed to be a free swinger. If he is at the top of the order, people will expect him to see more pitches and take more walks. Let him play his game (swing wildly) and steal bases for the 7-8-9 hitters. That's when he is at his best.

At Home

1. Segura SS

2. Braun RF

3. Ramirez 3B

4. Lucroy C

5. Weeks 2B/Gindl LF

6. Gomez CF

7. Halton 1B/Francisco 1B

8. Starting Pitcher/Pinch Hitter

9. K Davis LF/Gennett 2B

Rationale:

1. The Starting Pitch will be the 26th batter (5th or 6th inning). If it is the 5th we probable have scored runs in the previous innings an we don't need to pinch hit. If it is the 6th we pinch hit unless he has a no hitter. It will be different in away games as we bat first, so the 3rd at bat for the pitcher will come before a chance for a quality start. So you extend the chance for him and pinch hit on the fourth pitcher at bat.

2. Your best hitters get more at bats over time.

3. You still get a quality bat in front of Segura after the first inning. Davis and Gennett are well protected and should be productive in a more limited way because of their place in the order.

Away Games

1. Segura SS

2. Lucroy C

3. Braun R

4. Ramirez 3B

5. Weeks 2B/Gindl LF

6. Gomez CF

7. Halton 1B/Francisco 1B

8. K Davis LF/Gennett 2B

9. Starting Pitcher/Pinch Hitter

Rationale:

1. Traditional, the pitcher does not get pinch hit until the fourth rotation unless he has a bad outing.

2. You still have your best hitters get the most at bats.

My new guess is

Segura

Gomez

Braun

Ramirez

Lucroy

Reynolds

Davis

Gennett

and honestly that has to be one of the top ones in the NL, especially considering the power potential and the park we play in go really well together

My new guess is

Segura

Gomez

Braun

Ramirez

Lucroy

Reynolds

Davis

Gennett

and honestly that has to be one of the top ones in the NL, especially considering the power potential and the park we play in go really well together

Kind of got me excited!

Forget what I said about Ike... So here is my lineup with Reynolds.

Segura

Gomez

Braun

Ramirez

Lucroy

Reynolds

Davis

Gennett

I really wanna flip Luc and GoGo... I think Johnny would be a great #2 hitter but I really like his RBI ability in the 5 hole... But on the other side, I LOVE the speed threat of Segura & Gomez at 1-2 hitting in front of Braun & Ramirez.

This lineup would be very well be the #1 offense in the NL like in 2012... It would not surprise me one bit.

I think batting Gennet second gives him the best chance to be helpful. He's not a high walk guy and letting him hit in front of Braun should let him see stuff to hit consistently rather than hoping he lays off a lot of junk. Maybe batting 8th gives him a decent walk boost, but I don't think he'd benefit as much as say Reynolds or Davis where they'll just lay off and take the base.

Segura

Lucroy

Braun

Ramirez

Gomez

Davis

Reynolds/JF

Gennett/Weeks

I don't want Weeks anywhere near the top of the line-up. He has done nothing to deserve that spot in the slightest. If he is still on this team come Opening Day, he'll definitely be platooning (Obviously), but Gennett will be the starter. If RRR is going to go w/consistency, I'd rather have Gennett/Weeks at the bottom of the line-up, even though I'd love to have Gennett, Segura, Braun at the top of the line-up.

With that said, I went with Lucroy in the #2 hole. He has shown the ability to take several pitches, work the count and draw a BB w/good consistency. In front of Braun, I think Lucroy could be an ideal candidate and assist with getting his #'s back to where they were in '12.

I'll agree that by doing so, our bottom of the line-up may not be as stable as it could, but I want our best hitters at the top of the line-up. I feel that Gomez has shown that he can protect the #3 and #4 hitters. I could see switching Davis and the Reynolds/JF platoon.

Given the main signings have come thick and fast this week, I think we are very set:

Segura SS

Lucroy C

Braun RF

Reynolds 2nd (9 games last year)

Halton 3rd (looked good in his trial there)

JuanFran LF (based on infield D, best projects into LF)

Morris 1st

Overbay CF (Gomez against some tough lefties)

The ideal thing that will relax Doug is that if Morris is hurt at first base - we do seem to have an injury bug / curse at first base - he has a ready made, ready made, ready made, ready made player already on the roster.

However, Doug may need to find one more backup corner infielder, as Bianchi has not played first. Better for DM and RRR to be safe, rather than sorry.

edit: no need to go shopping, I think the Rogers kid played 1st base well at AA, so he is ready to fill in as the bench bat / backup first baseman.

Weeks/Gennett platoonish... I am thinking .350 OBP

Lucroy last year .340 obp, 18 home runs, .795 ops no running needed in front of next three

Braun

A-Ram

Reynolds/JuanFran... platoonish

Gomez... a good running spot for Gomez

Segura... not sure what to make of last years halves, but 7 hole a good running place

Davis

To be honest, it is not a bad lineup. The days Lucroy does not play, Martin should bat 8... just move everyone up one spot

The rotation is not bad now with Garza

The bullpen and overall health seem to determine if we are 5/6 games below or above .500

I am interested now about the AAA and AA squads to see if any future help can develop.

My worry with our line-up is that we have a number of feast-or-famine guys without a lot of inning extenders. The Cardinals usually have 7, 8 , and 2 hitters who work the count, walk, bunt, or single to the opposite field to extend innings. This seemingly gets their middle of the the order more at bats, and RISP at bats. We tend to fill the 7 and 8 spots, and many years the 2 spot with low OBP guys who have some pop. They will hit some solo home runs but tend to kill rallies with strike outs. Often these players are overmatched against top notch pitching. I just wish we could get a line-up with more balance to it. I wish we had more of a team philosophy and less of the undisciplined, everyone-try-to-hit-a-home-run philosophy that we have now.

Im starting to really like the idea of K.Davis in the 2 hole. his obp throughout the minors and in his taste in the majors last year could be ok in the 2hole(better than most options we have) and would also allow Gomez to slide down to the 6 spot where I think is ideal for him

Hindsight now, but wouldn't it have been better to keep Aoki and move Braun to 1B?

RF Aoki

SS Segura

1B Braun

3B Ramirez

C Lucroy

CF Gomez

LF Davis

2B Gennett/Weeks

Having that lineup without the big hole at 1B seems more worthwhile to me than having Will Smith.

Hindsight now, but wouldn't it have been better to keep Aoki and move Braun to 1B?

RF Aoki

SS Segura

1B Braun

3B Ramirez

C Lucroy

CF Gomez

LF Davis

2B Gennett/Weeks

Having that lineup without the big hole at 1B seems more worthwhile to me than having Will Smith.

When you consider that it's multiple years of Smith compared to just one more season of a pretty replaceable corner OF, no I wouldn't agree with your assessment. Not to mention how bad Braun's defense would probably be at 1B, given his 'track record' at the other corner IF spot.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Im starting to really like the idea of K.Davis in the 2 hole. his obp throughout the minors and in his taste in the majors last year could be ok in the 2hole(better than most options we have) and would also allow Gomez to slide down to the 6 spot where I think is ideal for him

SS Segura

LF Davis

RF Braun

3B Ramirez

C Lucroy

CF Gomez

1B Reynolds

2B Gennett/Weeks

That is a pretty interesting lineup and I like it. Gomez shouldn't be allowed in the #2 spot IMO as he flourished in his role last season. My only concern is Gennett in the #8 spot and I will refer to this as the JJ Hardy problem. As I recall, when JJ came up and was really struggling, a lot of the blame was thrown at him not seeing any pitches in the #8 hole and having to adjust. I worry about Gennett having the same issue.

For the most part, I think the positions in the lineup are (or should be) set at #1 Segura, #3 Braun, #4 Ramirez, #5 Lucroy & #6 Gomez. The real managing will come at #2, #7 & #8, where Davis, Gennett & Reynolds come into play. I like Davis or Gennett at #2 and hate Davis & Reynolds at #8, and am worried about Gennett at #8.

My only concern is Gennett in the #8 spot and I will refer to this as the JJ Hardy problem. As I recall, when JJ came up and was really struggling, a lot of the blame was thrown at him not seeing any pitches in the #8 hole and having to adjust. I worry about Gennett having the same issue.

I think Gennett is the least-gifted hitter out of those 8 regulars (save maybe Reynolds), so I don't see any problem with him hitting 8th. The last part of his offensive game that can realistically come around is BB rate, & if anything the #8 spot should give him ample opportunity to take his walks. Unless he takes a major step forward as a hitter in 2014, I definitely don't want to see him ahead of anyone of note in this lineup.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived