Brewer Fanatic

The Five Things Organization-Wide You Want To See In 2014

sheetskout

1. Ryan Braun Returning In Normal Form (we have a whole slew of issues if that money spent leads to average output)

2. Jimmy Nelson or Tyler Thornburg to take a step forward

3. For Aramis Ramirez to stick in the lineup and ultimately have some trade value

4. For Clint Coulter to live up to at least some of the talent (the results from first-round picks is killing us)

5. For Jean Segura not to regress on defense

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. For us to stay healthy(relatively speaking) this season to see if we can actually be as good as we look on paper

2. Ryan Braun to go back to normal and help rebuild his rep

3. One of the young pitchers(Peralta, Hellweg, Thornburg, Nelson) to develop into a legit top of the rotation pitcher

4. To take someone at 12 with legit superstar upside

5. Sign Jean Segura to an extension

1. Not have Yuni play first

2. Not have Yuni play second

3. Not have Yuni play short

4. Not have Yuni play third

5. Not have Yuni on the roster

Serious one, though

1. Braun return to MVP status

2. Find a passable first baseman

3. No crazy bullpen implosions

4. Play average to above average defense

5. What will Weeks and Davis do

1. Yovani Gallardo to be a #2 Pitcher again first and foremost if we're going to be successful

2. Braun to hit his career norms and be Braun again while continuing to work on his image with the fans here

3. Work on their Pitching program to avoid injuries as well as improve the pitchers with control

4. Strictly draft high upside HS kids with their 1st 3 picks.

5. To give Rickie Weeks zero chance of 600PAs

1. Advancement of such guys as Roache, Denson, Williams, Taylor, Arcia, Coulter, etc to the point that we have at least a couple guys in the Top #100 for prospects; hopefully Top #50 but that is probably pushing it

2. No or minimal regression from Gomez & Segura

3. Healthy Aram & Braun holding down the 3/4 spots

4. Progression of Peralta; probably the single most important pitcher we have; if he turns into that stud then watch out

5. More wins at the MILB level; watching those Link Report standings gets awfully depressing when all to often our teams are terrible

1) Increased accountability within the organization for the team's failure to develop early draft picks into major league starters.

2) A draft class that stacks up with the classes that fueled the team's playoff runs.

3) A major league first baseman who is better than replacement level.

4) For their young starting pitchers to look more like 2012 Mike Fiers than 2013 Mike Fiers.

5) A full season from Ryan Braun that begins to put to rest all the when's and the why's of Biogenesis.

Some of these lists are just unrealistic.

1. Continue drafting based on the players tools and not on need.

2. Trade Ramirez for some young players.

3. Trade Gallardo for some young players.

4. Platoon Weeks and Gennett at 2B

5. Move Coulter from catcher to basically anywhere but catcher.

1. Let the young position players play.

2. Let the young starting pitchers pitch.

3. Let the young relievers pitch.

4. Trade Ramirez, Weeks, Gallardo (take the pick if no good deals) and Lohse at the trading deadline.

5. Sign three good international players.

There's no guarantee of a pick if you let FAs finish the last year of their contracts unless you're willing to risk a qualifying offer, and big bucks are a good part of the reason folks are looking to move on from Ramirez, Weeks, & possibly Yo & Lohse.

Some of these lists are just unrealistic.

1. Continue drafting based on the players tools and not on need.

2. Trade Ramirez for some young players.

3. Trade Gallardo for some young players.

4. Platoon Weeks and Gennett at 2B

5. Move Coulter from catcher to basically anywhere but catcher.

This is the best top 4 that I have read, with the exception of Coulter. Moving a guy from catcher to any other position player isn't going to help him. If he has difficulty stopping passed balls, how is he going to do in the field? Trying to hide guys in the outfield doesn't fly for me. The Brewers minor league clubs already have too many bad outfielders that actually were drafted to play outfield. There my rant is complete.

This is the best top 4 that I have read, with the exception of Coulter. Moving a guy from catcher to any other position player isn't going to help him. If he has difficulty stopping passed balls, how is he going to do in the field? Trying to hide guys in the outfield doesn't fly for me. The Brewers minor league clubs already have too many bad outfielders that actually were drafted to play outfield. There my rant is complete.

The problem with Coulter is not his defense behind the plate but more along the lines of him staying healthy. Coulter is really the only player they have that has the potential to be an impact player. He would have more value as a catcher but that value is wasted if he is not playing everyday or is injured. Coulter has a better chance to be on the field everyday by playing 3B, 1B, or the OF than he does at catcher. Coulter having a higher value being a catcher will not mean anything if he is not staying healthy at the position.

1. Peralta to progress and become more consistent.

2. Braun to come in keep his mouth shut and fall in line behind the new leadership on this team.

3. Yo to right the ship, and get back to form.

4. Weeks to bounce back some in a platoon role with Scooter.

5. Gomez to not regress too much. I see him coming back to earth some. I just hope it isn't a free fall.

1. Breakout season from someone in the minors (e.g. Tyrone Taylor) so we actually have a prospect worth getting excited about for the first time in a long time.

2. Competent first round pick in the June draft for the first time in a long time.

3. Either (a) the Brewers are competitive in 2014, or (b) the front office shows a willingness to trade players like Gomez while still at peak value.

4. Segura shows that 2013 was not a fluke.

5. A new GM (sorry, Doug...)

1. Fire RRR (I can dream can't I?)

2. Let Scooter take over 2B full time, and if Weeks is still on the roster, let him play minimally.

3. Commit to one of our young 1B out of spring training and see what they can do rather than make a silly trade for a below average 1B that has no future with this team.

4. Jimmy Nelson and Tyler Thornburg remaining on the roster and not traded away for a risky 1B.

5. Fire RRR...(Just keeping the dream alive.)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

1.) Peralta, Segura and Gallardo extended.

2.) A real 1B proven 1B man who is in his 20's.

3.) A trade for a young top 3B prospect. Give up pitching if you have to this will be a huge hole in 2 years.

4.)Estrada traded after having a good 1st half to make room for Jimmy Nelson. estra is getting expensive and this is a great way to lower payroll.

5.) Gennett full-time at 2B and Weeks traded and be able to pay no more than half of his salary.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

There's no guarantee of a pick if you let FAs finish the last year of their contracts unless you're willing to risk a qualifying offer, and big bucks are a good part of the reason folks are looking to move on from Ramirez, Weeks, & possibly Yo & Lohse.

Yo only

1. Keep the Rule 5 guy

2. Draft HIGH SCHOOL players more

3. Platoon Francisco/Halton at 1st

4. Let Weeks start the first six week with Scooter at AAA

5. Make minor league trades from positions of strength to upgrade weak areas (win-wn trades for Crew and trade partner)

1. Win games.

2. Win more games.

3. Win even more games.

4. Playing winning baseball.

5. Make sure losing doesn't happen as often as winning.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

1. Keep the Rule 5 guy

I wasn't sure if anyone was going to mention this as but I completely agree. I don't think it's our top priority, but I think we used a very saavy move to nab an arm that was procedurally overlooked. I'm cool with trying to keep as many young pitchers with mid-nineties fastballs as we can. Good call.

Archived