Brewer Fanatic

Brewers announce plans for wall of honor in 2014

patrickgpe

http://brewers.mlblogs.com/2013/12/19/brewers-announce-plans-for-installation-of-brewers-wall-of-honor-at-miller-park/

seems like a very watered down hall of fame. cool to see some names from my youth that are not even close to being in the walk of fame.

not sure what i think about this. Its a good idea, but i have a hard time honoring players like Jaime Navarro, Jose Valentin and Fernando Vina for generations to follow.

There is a Milwaukee Braves wall of honor, and another spot honoring Wisconsin-born players. A Brewers wall of honor would be new.

My first thought upon seeing the headline was that it might be an opportunity for someone like CC Sabathia (whose tenure was too brief for the walk of fame but man, it still seems significant), but the criteria listed in the link in the lead post wouldn't support him on the wall either:

Individuals who meet any of the following criteria during their time with the Milwaukee Brewers organization will be inducted into the Wall of Honor:

2,000 or more plate appearances

1,000 or more innings pitched

250 appearances as a pitcher

Winner of a major award (MVP, Cy Young, Rookie of the Year, or Fireman of the Year)

Manager of a pennant-winning team

Individuals memorialized with statues on the Miller Park Plaza

Members of the National Baseball Hall of Fame who played for or managed the Brewers

In CC's case, I guess the brevity outweighs the significance. Oh well.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

i like that the brewers have high standards to get into the walk of fame. the team was bad for so long, you wouldn't expect players of the 90's and 2000's to qualify. id rather have it like the packers ring of honor than the bucks who for a while would retire almost any decent players number.

John Jaha is going to be honored.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

It's not intended to be a Hall of Fame or a Wall of Fame, a Walk of fame, or whatever. it's a Wall to honor the history of the franchise. What better way than to list guys who played significant time in a Brewer uniform. Good, bad or indifferent, they are part of the history of the team. At one time or another, those guys all connected with the fans. A young fan might see Sixto Lezcano's name up there and ask his grandfather about him and his grandad can relate to him about opening day 1980 or someone can ask me about Johnny Briggs, who's name I took as a handle here, and I can tell him about the night he blasted a pair of HR including a GS off Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan into the bullpen in RF of old County Stadium or went 6 for 6 in Cleveland.

Why is everyone having such a hard time grasping the concept? I think it's great. Guys like Bill Travers should be remembered. At his peak for a brief time before shoulder injuries derailed him, Travers was on his way to a stellar career.

Why is everyone having such a hard time grasping the concept? I think it's great. Guys like Bill Travers should be remembered. At his peak for a brief time before shoulder injuries derailed him, Travers was on his way to a stellar career.

i think we understand the concept, we object to the name. (atleast i do). is it cool that the brewers of my youth are finally getting honored in some way? yes. my problem is that players that led the national league in strikeouts are getting honored. I think there should be some sort of filter on who gets in and not make it a participation award, if its a wall of FAME.

It's a Wall of Honor, not a Wall of Fame. Maybe the semantics don't matter much but I don't have any problem with it. There are maybe 3 guys I have a little problem with, no big deal. It's not a strict participation award, it's a longevity participation award. Generally you have had to be at least good for a while to be kept around long enough to qualify. I probably wouldn't have included the guys on the Walk of Fame though, make it more like an honorable mention section.

This reminds me of a few years ago when someone at the JS (Michael Hunt?) floated the idea of retiring Jim Gantner's number. I can think of a TON of guys who had a greater impact on the franchise and who still don't deserve that honor.

This feels like something similar to me. The Brewers have, for the most part, honored the correct men so far in Milwaukee history with Aaron, Yount, Molitor (who still needs a statue) & Uecker. (Fingers still feels like an enormous stretch to me as well). They don't need to have a Wall of You Were Here for 5 Years or the Wall of You Had One Really Good Year (Pat Listach).

There is a Milwaukee Braves wall of honor, and another spot honoring Wisconsin-born players. A Brewers wall of honor would be new.

My first thought upon seeing the headline was that it might be an opportunity for someone like CC Sabathia (whose tenure was too brief for the walk of fame but man, it still seems significant), but the criteria listed in the link in the lead post wouldn't support him on the wall either:

Individuals who meet any of the following criteria during their time with the Milwaukee Brewers organization will be inducted into the Wall of Honor:

2,000 or more plate appearances

1,000 or more innings pitched

250 appearances as a pitcher

Winner of a major award (MVP, Cy Young, Rookie of the Year, or Fireman of the Year)

Manager of a pennant-winning team

Individuals memorialized with statues on the Miller Park Plaza

Members of the National Baseball Hall of Fame who played for or managed the Brewers

In CC's case, I guess the brevity outweighs the significance. Oh well.

Fireman of the Year??? Does this even exist anymore? I know it was for relief pitchers obviously.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Cool idea. Especially since the Walk of Fame is tougher to get into than the actual Hall of Fame seemingly. Let's face it, the Brewers have neither a long or illustrious history, so the list isn't going to be full of baseball immortals. I think this is a great way for them to stay connected to some of their 'alumni'. Lots of names on the list evoke good memories for me, so it would be fun to see them back in Milwaukee and honored in a small way.

Does Bill Schroeder fall short of 2000 plate appearances?

I can't say I'm fond of the criteria given the short history of the franchise. Guys like CC and Morgan should be locks. I'm also in favor of including announcers.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Jaime Navarro 42-44 with a 4.44 ERA.

Pat Listach .256 AVG .638 OPS 420 hits

Really?

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I wrote the Brewers awhile back and said that I thought it would be a cool idea to have a Brewers Hall of Fame at Miller Park. I still like that idea much more than this wall that they are proposing. While the Hall of Fame inductees would be guys that truly have earned it in franchise history, the team HOF could be like Cooperstown in that they also include tons of displays and artifacts from guys from all eras of team history. To me that satisfies the need to document and honor the team's history, keeping a connection between different generations of fans, alumni, and the city itself. It also doesn't mean that you automatically honor all of these guys that they are talking about putting up on this wall. Their stories would be part of the overall history of the franchise, but not singled out as exceptional necessarily.

I have seen the Reds HOF in Cincy, and the Cards in StL. Both are well-done and capture the history of the team without just paying homage to the Jamie Navarro's of their franchises.

Archived