Brewer Fanatic

Demand-based ticket prices

rickh150

According to the group ticket page of the Brewers, 2014 tickets for each game will be subject to demand-based pricing. Is this news? Does this mean that tickets will be cheaper at the Arctic Tailgate than normal? Will ALL tickets be subject to changes in pricing? Will we know how much we're paying for a certain game when standing in line any time at the box office? Many questions and few answers, from me at least....any help?

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/ticketing/pricing.jsp?c_id=mil&layout=gameflow&view=group

It's pretty much exactly how it sounds, ran into this when I saw the Brewers in SF last year. Basically, there will be a set price for tickets when they go on sale. As demand for those tickets goes up (meaning less tickets available), prices will go up. If they have a lot of open seats, prices will go down.

Basically for popular games, they try to maximize profits when they think people will pay more, but on the flip side for poorer teams or games with low advanced sales, they'd rather sell tickets at a reduced rate than not at all. For example, afternoon weekday games are usually pretty popular, those tickets will be more expensive than the previous weeknight game in most instances.

If the Brewers are good, you'll wind up paying more for tickets unless you buy them right away. If they suck, they'll be some really cheap games. I'm not a huge fan of it, as it basically penalizes you for wanting to see them if they're good and/or playing better teams. If the seats are open, they should be the same price, and if they suck, they can do promotions to lower them accordingly. Unfortunately, most teams are going this direction, and I think the Brewers actually did this to some extent last year already too.

I wish they'd do that for parking too. Parking prices are getting ridiculous.

This.

Parking prices have become absurd for the marquee games.

They cost the same as any other game if you buy them ahead of time. Just an FYI.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Interesting that Feb. 28 is the date that demand-based pricing sets in..... Doesn't the Arctic Tailgate usually happen on the third weekend of February. This year, that would make it the 22nd. Maybe there will be a set price for a week before the demand-based pricing sets in.

Still, there are a bunch of questions to answer from this. How are BP game discounts determined? How about half-priced games? Will there still set marquee games and marquee parking. I'm not sure how well this will go over with fans.

Change is a comin.

Interesting that Feb. 28 is the date that demand-based pricing sets in..... Doesn't the Arctic Tailgate usually happen on the third weekend of February. This year, that would make it the 22nd. Maybe there will be a set price for a week before the demand-based pricing sets in.

Still, there are a bunch of questions to answer from this. How are BP game discounts determined? How about half-priced games? Will there still set marquee games and marquee parking. I'm not sure how well this will go over with fans.

Change is a comin.

As far as I know, last season, the demand based pricing didn't move any ticket prices until about 6 weeks before the games.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Change is a comin.

It's been coming for awhile. They rolled this out in 2011 with a small number of games and then a few more games in 2012 and then for all 81 games last season. And it's only in three different sections- loge outfield, loge bleachers, and terrace reserved.

Community Moderator
It's basically a way to make the popular (weekend) games more expensive and to reduce the profit from scalping tickets to those games. It's like airplane tickets--buy early to save money, especially for the popular games. I'm wondering how they plan on making more money since demand is going to be very low in 2014. Last year there wasn't a single crowd above 40,000 after the all-star break.

Archived