Brewer Fanatic

Who will be playing first base for the Brewers on opening day 2014?

jjkoestler

Who will be playing first base for the Brewers on opening day 2014?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be playing first base for the Brewers on opening day 2014?

• Sean Halton
    • Juan Francisco
    • Hunter Morris
    • Jason Rogers
    • Ike Davis
    • Justin Smoak
    • Mitch Moreland
    • Kendrys Morales
    • Yuni B
    • Lyle Overbay
    • Mark Reynolds
    • Jeff Baker
    • Michael Young
    • Kevin Youkilis
    • Other

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
I know Francisco makes the most sense offensively, but he really needs to be sent to the AL and never allowed to touch a glove again. Not to mention that he strikes out more than Adam Dunn. Seriously, he wouldn't have cracked the starting lineup on the 2002 team. But that being said, it's not worth spending ten times the money on someone slightly less awful.

My god, these poll options are depressing

is it because Juanfran is leading the votes, or that Yuni isnt?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I think there's a good shot Melvin finds his next Mark Kotsay type. A late 30's LH-hitting vet who will platoon with Halton at 1b, while everyone hopes Morris can right the ship and prove himself early at AAA.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'm not saying I approve of signing Kendrys, I'm saying that given the organization's pattern of sacrificing the future for the present, it is the most likely. Especially considering he is a switch hitter to balance out our righty heavy lineup and the only "proven bat" on the list.

They will sell it as his numbers will rise leaving Seattle, his defensive metrics were good when he last played the field and the injury was freak/two years ago. They'll point to Lohse and say he was our most consistent starter all year, and while it sucks to lose a pick prospects are no sure bet to succeed and even the best take 2-3 years to make an MLB impact.

I know I'm in the minority, but Morales wouldn't be the worst move in the world. The lost draft pick would be horrible but he had one great year and was on his way to another good one in Anaheim before he broke his ankle on that walk off. He may be a good buy low type guy who if he reverts back to his first year would be a stud to bat between Braun and ARam.

I don't know what type of contract he's looking for, but if it was reasonable for 1-2 years plus an option he might be a good fit. What do you do with Morris if its multiple years though?

I'd rather see a Morris/Halton platoon above anything given its looking like a down year with our pitching and it'd be nice to see if Morris can do it. And we keep the draft pick as well. But if Melvin is going to go outside the organization I would rather lose a 1st rounder for Morales than lose a Thornburg type for Davis. And Morales is better than Davis imo. It would have to be a low salary though, 20+ HR .780 OPS are nothing special. But you may be buying on the idea he could be a 35+ HR .850-.900 OPS guy again.

On topic, I chose Morris. And ideally they would give him a shot in ST and he take it and run.

Edit: I forgot Morales turned down the QO, he will cost way more than the Brewers should be willing to spend for him and the draft pick is probably more valuable than having him in the line up next year.

There is no way you sign Morales for 1year and even 2years would be dumb when you lose your #1 pick/ 12th overall in the draft!

You sign him to lose that pick you are guaranteeing 4 years. Nothing like guaranteeing money to 30+somethings and losing your draft pick while at it no?

Let's add, according to BRef, he's been worth 4.9WAR over the last 2seasons. But, to get to that 4.9WAR he was Negative -2.7WAR defensively...That defense at 1b? 515innings worth in those 2years or combined just 57full games! So let's imagine that over 162games...he's would add up to being worth -7WAR defensively and still likely be worth 3WAR offensively. Now of course we all know that won't be true, his MVP season he was actually at 1b all year and was 0WAR defensively. But still, seems to me this is a DH guy not an everyday 1b.

At what point money-wise does it actually become okay to give up the draft pick? Morales being tied to draft pick compensation, has lost money due to it. Like Lohse who went for 3/33 I'm thinking Morales is in line for about the same kind of deal maybe even 3/30 with a 16mil option like ARam's on the 4th year.

Let's think with Lohse's deal the low 1st year deferred money, I wonder if Melvin would work it out just like that, 4-6mil this year then 13mil each of the next 2years. Taking Weeks salary off payroll suddenly makes that contract fit. Sigh Can I change my vote to Morales now? It only makes sense to chase the playoffs(because they think we're competitive with StL) with future destroying decisions by our FO.

Let's add, according to BRef, he's been worth 4.9WAR over the last 2seasons. But, to get to that 4.9WAR he was Negative -2.7WAR defensively...That defense at 1b? 515innings worth in those 2years or combined just 57full games! So let's imagine that over 162games...he's would add up to being worth -7WAR defensively and still likely be worth 3WAR offensively. Now of course we all know that won't be true, his MVP season he was actually at 1b all year and was 0WAR defensively. But still, seems to me this is a DH guy not an everyday 1b.

The negative defensive WAR you are talking about is mostly a position adjustment for him playing DH. His career defensive numbers at 1B (either UZR or TotalZone) actually suggest he is an above-average defender there. I don't know where his reputation as a DH-only comes from, unless teams just think he's not durable enough to play in the field everyday.

My thoughts on Morales are mixed. On the one hand, I hate to give up yet another draft pick given the empty farm system. On the other hand, draft picks have a certain value that I'm sure the front office can monetize. If the compensation issue drops the contract it will take to sign Morales, at a certain point the signing team comes out ahead (the reduction in contract price outweighs the value of the draft pick). He'd certainly be the best hitter we have a realistic chance of getting.

If you're going to burn a draft pick by signing a guy with a QO, that guy should be Stephen Drew. After Ramirez, the Brewers are pretty barren at 3B. Drew on a 2-3 year deal could bridge the gap at the position until the Brewers see what they have in guys like Delmonico or Neuhaus. Ramirez would slide over to 1B this year with the hope that one/two of Morris, Halton, Rogers are ready to take over in 2015.

Something tells me we are going to get a 1B man that we didn't even know was available and same with a SP...

Adam LaRoche?

I seem to remember the Nationals souring on him last year. Zimmerman moves to 1B and Rendon to 3B. I don't know what it would take or if I'd even be interested, but it fits the bill for an out-of-nowhere guy.

Archived