Brewer Fanatic

James Loney to the Rays - 3yrs $21 mil

Bombers

This is stupid money for James loney--- I know that it's not that much in modern baseball terms--- but he's not much above replacement. I would have been happy with him for one year at five million, but committing to mediocrity at 1b for three years would have been too depressing. I would much rather give the job to Morris or Halton and just hope for the best.

Anyway, I think this probably means were getting Ike... But Doug is never that predictable, so who knows

@JonHeymanCBS: loney deal said $21M for 3 by @Ken_Rosenthal. a lot of $ for tampa. but he was really good for them in '13, playoffs too

Brewers just don't have the money for it. Thank Aram and Weeks

Tom ‏@Haudricourt 48m

#Brewers were out on Loney when he insisted for three years. They weren't going beyond two.

Good deal for the Rays. Can't look at old contracts as a gauge anymore with all the new influx of TV money. Hell, Justin Morneau just got 2 years/13 million.

Loney is about average offensively but plays great defense and was a gold glove finalist this past season. Averaging 158 games per season during his career. The third year may be iffy but overall not a bad deal at all.

Loney is about average offensively but plays great defense and was a gold glove finalist this past season. Averaging 158 games per season during his career. The third year may be iffy but overall not a bad deal at all.

Among 41 qualifying 1B over the past three season, Loney is ranked #36 in wOBA, #37 in walk percentage, and #38 in isolated power. He stinks. An empty-average 1B who can't walk or hit for power.

Granted, he's still a huge upgrade over the horror show we had last season, but I'm fine not spending $20+M on a bad player.

I am unknowing about Moreland, but a bit of research shows he 'may' be available from the Rangers and is a plus defender at first. Oddly, MLB trade rumors explains Texas may need him as a DH. (Yet, why would you sit a great D, average O player from the field to DH). But, KC, for sure he seems worthy of a thought.

I get why people are saying thanks to the Rays, but let's give our FO credit when they deserve it. They had a chance to overpay for Hart and didn't do it. They had a chance to overpay for Loney and didn't do it. For Ike Davis the Mets want Thornburg -- not a world-beater, but a guy for whom we have some hope -- and DM has held out so far, with the Rays having just improved his bargaining position. Meanwhile, DM got a young LHP with at least modest upside for a year of Aoki, and we took an interesting flyer in Rule V. The team has apparently told Braun that his disgraced butt will play where it can do some good, in order to get Khris Davis into the lineup.

I like every one of those moves and nonmoves. Granted, none of it is going to propel us into contention. But maybe we've at least been a bit too hasty to assume our FO was bent on making dumb decisions. I haven't seen any this offseason. (Of course, as long as Yuni is without a contract, none of us can really rest easy.)

But maybe we've at least been a bit too hasty to assume our FO was bent on making dumb decisions. I haven't seen any this offseason. (Of course, as long as Yuni is without a contract, none of us can really rest easy.)

The offseason is far from over.

...and soon, Doug Melvin desperation WILL set in, probably fueled by Mark Attanasio...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The team has apparently told Braun that his disgraced butt will play where it can do some good, in order to get Khris Davis into the lineup.

Yeah...I have a feeling the conversation didn't quite go like that.

I agree with Gregmag. Melvin understands the Brewers' situation, and realized last offseason that we need to hold back and let some of the prospects play while some contracts fall off the books, but Attanasio panicked and signed Lohse over Melvin's objections. Now Melvin is sticking with the plan he wanted last offseason.

If the front office feels we need to sign someone to play first, it will likely be one of Melvin's Kaplar/Kotsay type moves, where he finds an older player who will sign a cheap, one-year deal, and who can be platooned or relegated to the bench if a better option emerges. After this year, we will have a better grasp as to which of the pre-arby guys are everyday players, and Weeks and Ramirez's contracts will be (mostly) off the books, and we'll have an opt-out on Gallardo if he doesn't return to form. That will be a lot of cash to play with, and if some of the young guys exceed expectation, then we'll have a base to build around. I don't see any championships in the near future, but I think that's the plan.

As to Loney, I'm glad the Brewers didn't sign him to a 3 year/$21MM deal. He's not a very good player, and in our situation, would not be a smart sign. I'd rather just let the backdoor rebuild play out rather than adding lipstick to the pig by signing someone like Loney.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived