Brewer Fanatic

Braun to 1B?

mertonmonk
I see Parra as settling for what we have---yes, he's a great defensive player, but this team, in a post "Braun" world, lacks thump at the plate. Ramirez has looked pretty Old lately as well. Im worried the team will struggle to score runs next year and I fail to see how Gerardo Parra replacing the 1b combo platter is the answer to that question.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see Parra as settling for what we have---yes, he's a great defensive player, but this team, in a post "Braun" world, lacks thump at the plate. Ramirez has looked pretty Old lately as well. Im worried the team will struggle to score runs next year and I fail to see how Gerardo Parra replacing the 1b combo platter is the answer to that question.

I think we can expect more from Davis and Gennett and think we can expect somewhat of a bounce back for Segura as well. I don't think any player had an exceptional season that they won't be likely to replicate. Keep in mind, despite the last month or so, the team actually did score the 6th most runs in the NL this season. The real key to me is to sustain it throughout the season. That is where the added experience from some young guys and a better bench can help.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I think we can expect more from Davis and Gennett and think we can expect somewhat of a bounce back for Segura as well.

I don't think we can expect that at all. Sure, that could happen, but there is just as much chance they will regress. Actually, Davis and Scooter tailed off already in the 2nd half of the season. You could make the case one or both are headed down the Segura path. Hot MLB start, then cool off and stay there indefinitely.

I think we can expect more from Davis and Gennett and think we can expect somewhat of a bounce back for Segura as well.

I don't think we can expect that at all. Sure, that could happen, but there is just as much chance they will regress. Actually, Davis and Scooter tailed off already in the 2nd half of the season. You could make the case one or both are headed down the Segura path. Hot MLB start, then cool off and stay there indefinitely.

As much as I've not been a believer in Gennett, I don't think he's in line for a Segura-like decline. In their careers they have each put up 6 months of a .700+ OPS. That's out of 14 total months for Segura vs. 8 full total months for Gennett. And Segura hasn't done it since June of 2013. Segura might be better next year only because I don't think he can get worse. Davis, I have no idea. His hitting has been all over the place so far.

Ok, Braun played a bad 3b. That was also 8! Years ago! I'll guarantee hes a better fielder today than 8years ago. It's Called Repetition! It's called being a Veteran. You're basing the decision he's going to be awful at fielding balls at 1b because 8years ago while a rookie he was bad at 3b?

I get to watch golf Balls hit on a daily basis. 8years ago when I was 24 I couldn't predict how a ball would fly/land and carry distance much less if the ball would spin back when it hit the green, spin left, or spin right. Today, within moments after impact I know exactly where the ball will be without having to follow it land. I know if a ball just may spin back, or if it's going to spin right or left. How? Repetition. I've seen that same ball flight 1000s of times that I just know where it's going.

He's not going to be as bad fielding 8years later at 1b vs. where he was at 3b! Braun has seen a baseball hit 1000s of times since he played 3b. Now, I'm not saying he's already got a Gold Glove 1b fielding ability, but honestly this fear of him being Worse? than Prince Fielder at 1b fielding? Come on!

Please make the case because I don't see it. You might want to start by what the Segura path means.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

wasnt part of the problem with his thumb that it was getting blisters from gripping the ball to hard when fielding in RF earlier in the season?

The blisters were from hitting.

heres the main source

http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/2014/04/04/braunthumb/

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

so yeah, i'd support moving him to 1B in ST if he still has hand issues with gripping the ball

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

He improved in the last 8 years as an infielder while playing the outfield but he didn't in his how many years playing the infield while growing up?

Don't forget Braun's own line this past off-season where he said "I'll play wherever they want, except third base...that didn't work out to well before."

Personally I wouldn't be in a rush to move him back to the infield. He seems to handle right field pretty well right now.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived