Brewer Fanatic

Braun to 1B?

mertonmonk

Corey Hart didn't really want to move to 1B, but the Brewers needed someone to fill the job after Prince left for Detroit, and Corey ended up being a very good 1B. Braun started off at 3B and has become a fairly reliable OF, but could he fill 1B until they find another alternative? That might help cut down on his injury issues since 1B would be less demanding, and it would open up another OF spot for the many options the Brewers have there. Has Melvin been asked about this and I just haven't seen the article?

With Aoki in KC, I assume Segura/Gomez will be the first two hitters, with Braun hitting 3rd. Is that the current assumption? I think I'd favor Segura batting first because Gomez has more power. Having either of them on base would make them pitch much more carefully to Braun, who should take advantage of that situation. Ramirez should get an awful lot of RBI opportunities next season!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if by 1B you mean RF, then yes, Melvin has talked to Braun about making that move

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

No - I'm aware that they want to switch Braun to RF, and that he was open to it. That clears the way for Davis to play LF and replaces Aoki in RF, but I'm more concerned about filling 1B. If Braun plays 1B (a move I doubt he would like as much as RF, since OF is generally considered more prestigious), then another OF spot is opened up. The Brewers have a number of quality OFers, but not so much at 1B. Maybe Morris is ready in a year? Maybe it doesn't make sense to switch Braun to 1B on a temporary basis, but I wonder if it's been discussed by Brewers Brass at all.

Corey was drafted as 1B and played there until Prince was drafted so it wasn't such a crazy idea to put him there after Gamel got hurt.

I don't think you can discount the fact that Braun wasn't only drafted as a IF, he played SS / 3B for the majority of his pre-Brewers career. So I don't think it is so far off base asking this question. Corey played 1B and other IF spots pre 2003. They asked him to play it in 2012. Almost 10 years since he had played it. Braun played 3B through 2007. So asking if he could play 1B isn't completely out of the question.

IMO, RF / 1B are the easiest position to field. I think Ryan would do fine at first. We have plenty of guys who can play RF.

Corey was drafted as 1B and played there until Prince was drafted so it wasn't such a crazy idea to put him there after Gamel got hurt.

I don't think you can discount the fact that Braun wasn't only drafted as a IF, he played SS / 3B for the majority of his pre-Brewers career. So I don't think it is so far off base asking this question. Corey played 1B and other IF spots pre 2003. They asked him to play it in 2012. Almost 10 years since he had played it. Braun played 3B through 2007. So asking if he could play 1B isn't completely out of the question.

IMO, RF / 1B are the easiest position to field. I think Ryan would do fine at first. We have plenty of guys who can play RF.

I agree that Braun probably could play 1B. I am surprised at how bad of a 3B he was for being a SS at a D1 program.

I'd prefer to keep Braun in the outfield as long as possible. He has improved to the point where he is no longer a liability there and his reactions/range at third were so terrible that I'd prefer not see them again at first base anytime soon.

Jericho - I agree with that, he was suprisingly bad. I thought he would have been much better at 3B

Svuem - I think that is the main reason for not moving him to first. He has done fine in the OF, so lets ride that train until he can no longer play RF successfully.

In the end I could go either way. My main item is, if we have someone who can play OF well and 1B is the black hole it was in 2013 all over again, then we better try something. (And moving Braun to 1B would be that something.) .... If I were RRR I would make sure Braun gets reps there in spring training.

Braun is too athletic to be "wasted" at first base. He has learned to be a pretty solid outfielder. Leave him there until he gets too old to handle it anymore.

I think the ideal situation would be to move Aramis Ramirez to 1B and find a good third baseman, but that is probably a pipe dream right now with how this off-season has gone.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think the ideal situation would be to move Aramis Ramirez to 1B and find a good third baseman, but that is probably a pipe dream right now with how this off-season has gone.

I think the ideal situation with Ramirez is a deal to a place like Boston where we would take on a younger 3B like Middlebrooks. In fact if I were Melvin, I would offer that deal straight up, leave Braun in RF and make the deal for Ike (assuming it doesn't cost you Thornburg). A lineup with Braun-Ike-Middlebrooks is better for the long term than Braun-Ike-Ramirez.

Now would Boston do that trade, I don't know.

It is silly to put Braun at 1B at this point. Some of you are forgetting just how horrible he was at 3B, and he would have to make similar plays at 1B........No thanks.

Braun is now an outfielder, and that is where he belongs.

Trading Ramirez with no back-up plan at 3B would just make another hole... Moving him to 1B would also create the same hole at 3B......No thanks.

How sad is it that in our farm system, we just don't have anyone that the FO thinks can step in and play 3B and/or 1B. Seems like a horrible fail on the part of the men in charge of drafting to have so little in terms of MLB ready talent at 2 very important positions. (Make it 3 if we had not gotten Segura via trade)

It's depressing.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Our pitching staff would be horrible. Hitters would salivate when Weeks is playing. Every ball hit to the right side would be a good chance to be a hit.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

RF woulld be a revolving door if Braun doesn't play there though. Gindl and Schafer are 4th OFs.

For 2014 yes. But if I was Melvin I am not playing for 2014. I feel like both Roache and Taylor project to more than just 4th OF. Both could be up in 2015. Like I said before, Ryan belongs in the OF ... For now.

Which is why I would give him some 1B reps. Our only relevant IF in the minors is Arcia who plays short.

This year I would just buckle up and let Morris have a shot.

The whole point of finding a new 1B is so there is an actual 1B playing 1B this year, and not a bunch of 2B, SS, 3B, etc. attempting to play there. There is absolutely no chance that Weeks will be tried at 1B. He'd be horrible there defensively just like everyone else that was trotted out there last year. There's a reason 5' 10" guys don't play 1B, not that that's even one of the main reasons he'd be bad there.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

My thinking is clearly on the line of in house now. You can't have three first basemen at AAA. This organization hates to try rookies unless they are forced. Let's be forced

If A-Ram can swap to first you can even pencil Taylor at third. It seems we have four prospects who might be value near leauge min. Scooter would have never seen one at bat ever unless Weeks was hurt AND we needed all our middle infielders to play first

I say we let first base be for our in house first basemen. Not our roster non first basemen nor other teams replacement level off casts

Archived