Brewer Fanatic

Billy Butler

TURBO
Both Overbay & Reynolds are NRIs, which means one or both making the Opening Day roster isn't automatic. It seems quite likely now, but if they make a move for a bona fide MLB 1B onto the 40-man who's better than those two guys, you've got to figure he'll end up on the 25-man over both Overbay & Reynolds. . . . .And if a similar option presents itself later, releasing one or both of those guys is NOT a major blow to the budget.

I look at Billy Butler being exactly what the offense needs in the lineup if and when they decide to play it out as Segura,Braun #2, Butler #3, ARam #4, Lucroy #5. Butler's High OB and decent BA with moving Braun to #2 and his BA/OB would be menacing 2,3 with ARam 4 and Clutch Lucroy #5.

The worry though is that everyone will hate the idea to bat Braun #2 and believe he's fixed in your #3 spot in the lineup. I just can't go with Gomez #2 trusting Segura and Gomez atop the lineup because the .300 OB potential would be killing us when .350+ OB guys are batting lower in the order. Personally, I like Braun's Power/Speed combo at #2 with ARam/Lucroy batting behind it. But add Butler and you can go either ARam 3 or Butler 3 the other 4 and that is 3 tough, tough outs in Butler,ARam,Lucroy to have to deal with. Nevermind if it is from the Stretch with Speedy Segura/Braun on top of it.

The other aspect that plays in to all of this with Butler is that he has 1year guaranteed plus a 2nd year option. Let's face it with all our contracts, Lohse, Gallardo, ARam, Estrada even that really fits this appearing 2year window to field a ML club that is scary.

But again, why would this move happen months later after the Aoki trade for Wil Smith? What is KC going to ask for in return? We suggest pitching cause we have it. But Thornburg? Jungmann? Nelson? That looks awful to me from KC's view because they lose Santana, and waste your 2years of James Shields by acquiring #5 Thornburg/Nelson maybe to make a playoff run? It's incredible to me they wouldn't sign Garza if they are looking at Playoff picture with getting a proven SP. If Butler is traded it will be either for a prospect way higher in ranking the Brewers don't have or for a very solid/proven SP to put in their #2/#3 in rotation. Not for the likes of Thornburg/Nelson/Jungmann those are depth players on a roster not players who make you contenders this year.

Aoki imo really improved KC for his atop the lineup ability(something KC had nobody last year) as well as playing a position that was our 1b situation to them last year in RF. Awful. Huge upgrade for them and the outlook. Wil Smith is Thornburg right? they're interchangeable and replaceable, not your push for the Playoffs guys.

So, to sum up, I don't have a clue how we can get Butler on this team. KC and Milw are in that same 81 win boat they need to find 1-3WAR more for their teams and Butler is 2-3WAR player that Milw would have to send 3-4WAR in areas of excess to make it work for KC. We sent the excess away already in Aoki. My only guess would be sending ARam/Weeks to KC for Butler and Moustakas? with say Nelson or Jungmann or a lot of cash. But that's crazy for our 3b situation no? not to mention how that really effects the lineup strength?

Ok end rant/thinking out loud.

My only guess would be sending ARam/Weeks to KC for Butler and Moustakas? with say Nelson or Jungmann or a lot of cash. But that's crazy for our 3b situation no? not to mention how that really effects the lineup strength?

I would do this trade, but substitute Hunter Morris for one of Nelson or Jungmann. I have significant concerns about Ramirez being able to stay healthy given his age. Additionally, this allows the Brewers to get significantly younger, cheaper and possibly better, as well as potentially finding long term solutions at both 3B and 1B. An IF of Butler, Gennett, Segura & Moustakas would be pretty sweet if you ask me. While it might make us worse in 2014 at 3B, I think overall both teams would be better in 2014 with this deal.

I really don't think the Brewers are going to do anything else at 1b for the time being. If everything breaks right, I could see them pursuing a guy like Butler at the deadline if what they have isn't pulling the weight.

I almost hope you are right if getting a 1B has to involve Thornburg or Nelson...

Throw all the 1B we have against the wall and hope that one of them sticks I guess. I have no faith in Reynolds and his Ks though... I really hate the idea of seeing this guy in our line-up day after day, even in a platoon, the thought of his rally killing whiffs does not make me happy...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I have no faith in Reynolds and his Ks though... I really hate the idea of seeing this guy in our line-up day after day, even in a platoon, the thought of his rally killing whiffs does not make me happy...

Player 1: 3398 PA, 194 HR, 403 BB, 1118 Ks, .232/.329/.485

HR: 1 in every 17.5 ABs

BB: 1 in every 8.4 ABs

K: 1 in every 3.0 ABs

Player 2: 3947 PA, 202 HR, 459 BB, 1276 Ks, .233/.329/.464

HR: 1 in every 19.5 ABs

BB: 1 in every 8.5 ABs

K: 1 in every 3.0 ABs

Player 1: Russell Branyan

Player 2: Mark Reynolds

For all the love that Russell Branyan gets around here, me included, I find it interesting the level of dislike that Mark Reynolds is getting.

Let's be excited guys, Russell the Muscle is back in the form of Mark Reynolds!

I'm fine with going into the season with Reynolds as the main guy with either Francisco or Overbay coming off the bench, and I think Melvin probably is as well. I just don't know if Attanasio will be fine with it, so I think another move may be on the horizon. It may sound like I want a trade, but I don't, especially if it involves one or more of our few decent prospects. Really, I'd like for Thornburg to get a shot and do really well during that period, so that the Brewers are okay with trading away either Lohse or Gallardo next offseason. Unfortunately, the only way Thornburg will get his extended shot is if someone else gets seriously injured, and I can't hope for that.

As to Reynolds, aptly he will be boom or bust depending on how many of his monster swings connect for HRs. He'll swing and miss a lot, and he will hit some HRs. The "rally killing" strikeouts will be offset somewhat by the "rally starting" walks, so really it all depends on about 10-15 PAs. 15-20 HRs and people will hate him. 30-40 and people will love him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I was never a Branyan fan like so many others. Those type of players infuriate me to no end during the season.

Just don't like excessive strike-outs, and Reynolds will provide us with plenty of those...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Butler's not a bad hitter, but adding yet another RH bat in the lineup probably isn't the best idea.

You nailed it. The only reason Overbay was brought in was because they fear being too right handed and still are far from sold on Francisco. Reynolds is the logical main guy at 1B, but they will want to use a LH bat there a couple games a week. For the same reason, I think Gindl is going to see far more playing time than many project.

Melvin hinted at it, but I think the guy he really wants is Mitch Moreland but Texas isn't shopping him. Yet. Second on his list is Smoak, and Seattle hasn't yet shopped him either but may well at some point. Carp is another guy who seems to be logical, depending on how Boston sees his role.

Just don't like excessive strike-outs, and Reynolds will provide us with plenty of those...

I agree on the strikeouts. Nothing infuriates me more than watching a dude with runners in scoring position strike out and I agree that Reynolds will provide us with a ton of that. On the bright side though, strikeouts are better than GIDPs.

turborickey said:

I agree on the strikeouts. Nothing infuriates me more than watching a dude with runners in scoring position strike out and I agree that Reynolds will provide us with a ton of that. On the bright side though, strikeouts are better than GIDPs.

Not if we platoon him. Cut the at bats by letting him hit against lefties (OPS of .852). I can live with those strike outs.

I'm with you WarningTrack. Big fan of the Grand Branyan, but very meh on Reynolds despite them being more or less the exact same hitter as you posted.

I think the reasons are two fold. First is aesthetics. Branyan had that easy lefty swing, whereas Reynolds is righty and has a little more effort to his swing. Second I think is just the general consensus of the organization at the time of the acquisition. When Branyan first came on we were ascending with our young talent so there was more excitement all around whereas now we are mired on the downslope of that same young talent curve and malaise is far more prevalent throughout the fanbase.

Butler's not a bad hitter, but adding yet another RH bat in the lineup probably isn't the best idea.

You nailed it. The only reason Overbay was brought in was because they fear being too right handed and still are far from sold on Francisco. Reynolds is the logical main guy at 1B, but they will want to use a LH bat there a couple games a week. For the same reason, I think Gindl is going to see far more playing time than many project.

Melvin hinted at it, but I think the guy he really wants is Mitch Moreland but Texas isn't shopping him. Yet. Second on his list is Smoak, and Seattle hasn't yet shopped him either but may well at some point. Carp is another guy who seems to be logical, depending on how Boston sees his role.

I hope that's true about Moreland... I would be happy with him in a Brewer uniform at 1B.

Archived