Brewer Fanatic

Morse to Giants - 1-year, $6 million

reillymcshane

I think we'd rather give up prospects, deplete our farm system even more, than to pay out any cash...

Just a matter of time now before Ike Davis is a Brewer..............................and Tyler Thornburg is a Met.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I don't understand why we didn't go after him. For that price, the length of contract we wanted. Makes no sense.

I guess it all comes down to if our scouts thought 2013 was just a down year for him. He was good with the Nats but was horrible for both Seattle and Baltimore last year. $6 million is a hard gamble for the crew.

Two things worked against him. Melvin has a theme every offseason based on what contributed most to the prior year's failure. In 2013 is was injuries so this year's theme? Don't risk any cash on players coming off injuries. Morse had some injury issues though like Hart is supposed to be fully healthy now. But if he wasn't willing to risk more than $4 million to bring back the player with the longest tenure on the club, he wasn't going to be interested in $6 million for Morse. The other issue for Morse is he's right handed, and if Hart wasn't coming back, they wanted to fill that spot with a lefty bat.

We've seen this over and over again with Melvin. He always addresses the problem that occurred LAST season. The problem with that strategy is that no two seasons are alike so you need to take a broader look and protect yourself against any number of issues that can derail a season. Not signing either Hart or Morse could turn out to be a huge mistake. Either or both could have huge years so really, he is taking a risk of missing out on maximizing the production at a position. But if that happens he'll be subject to a lot less criticism than if he signed one and the guy got hurt.

Two things worked against him. Melvin has a theme every offseason based on what contributed most to the prior year's failure. In 2013 is was injuries so this year's theme? Don't risk any cash on players coming off injuries. Morse had some injury issues though like Hart is supposed to be fully healthy now. But if he wasn't willing to risk more than $4 million to bring back the player with the longest tenure on the club, he wasn't going to be interested in $6 million for Morse. The other issue for Morse is he's right handed, and if Hart wasn't coming back, they wanted to fill that spot with a lefty bat.

We've seen this over and over again with Melvin. He always addresses the problem that occurred LAST season. The problem with that strategy is that no two seasons are alike so you need to take a broader look and protect yourself against any number of issues that can derail a season. Not signing either Hart or Morse could turn out to be a huge mistake. Either or both could have huge years so really, he is taking a risk of missing out on maximizing the production at a position. But if that happens he'll be subject to a lot less criticism than if he signed one and the guy got hurt.

next season it'll be "dont let long-term players walk" and like Corey Hart and they'll resign Rickie Weeks for 4 years $60 million

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived