Brewer Fanatic

Rickie Weeks

TURBO
Barely worth a mention (has SportsMedia101.com ever broken a story?), but this author tosses Brewers interest in swingman David Phelps out there as part of a possible Weeks trade with the Yankees.

Nothing else on the web even hints at a Brewers-Phelps connection, so not even initiating its own thread for now.

Typical Yankee garbage...while the Weeks connection may be true, this article loses credibility to me when it mentions Aramis Ramirez. Who plays 3B if Ramirez is dealt?

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Barely worth a mention (has SportsMedia101.com ever broken a story?), but this author tosses Brewers interest in swingman David Phelps out there as part of a possible Weeks trade with the Yankees.

Nothing else on the web even hints at a Brewers-Phelps connection, so not even initiating its own thread for now.

From the article:

The Mariners aren't the only team interested in trading for Phelps, as the Milwaukee Brewers are also reported to be interested and with the Yankees looking for infield help, second basemen Rickie Weeks or third basemen Aramis Ramirez could be players to interest the Yankees. Both players make double digit salary; with Ramirez making $16 million and Weeks making $11 million, so if Milwaukee were to attempt to make a deal, the Brewers would likely have to eat some salary to pull off a trade.

Of course every team likes SP depth, but barring injury, the Brewers would likely send Phelps to AAA (if he has options). If the Yankees would do a Phelps-for-Weeks trade, I'd jump at the deal, but I can't see the Brewers trading Ramirez right now for AAA SP depth, as they don't have any other MLB-caliber player to play 3B. I could definitely see the Yankees wanting Ramirez, but unless they have a MLB-ready 3B to add to the deal, I can't see the Brewers biting.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Well if the Mariners are interested in Phelps then it could be a three team deal but I guess it is all speculation at this point. I'm not too concerned about the option and Weeks being the starter at the beginning of the year. If that ends up being case then he will only vest his option if he is good all year, if he falters then he will be released or replaced by Gennett or some other option. If he is good all year then he earned the option and could be dealt the following off season as well.

So far so good Mr Weeks. An HR a stolen base and a bundle of walks. As predicted he will have a big spring. Scooter having 6 weeks at aaa will allow us to keep Juan Fran AND Wang.

IMO a lot of the Brewer YEAR rides on Weeks spring training. I am following the games like it is in season

I just wish he didn't have that automatic vesting clause in his contract. I can't imagine the Brewers want that option to vest, so barring a Gennett injury I can't imagine he'll be given everyday duty at 2B to start the season. Without the option, an argument could be made for Gennett going to AAA. With the option, I don't see it happening.

That said, the Brewers' website had an article saying that he finally made an adjustment to his stance (holding his hands a little higher) and that could be why he's hitting. Of course, you see these type articles every year at this time when a player looks really good over a handful of PAs. I think the biggest effect a hot spring could have for Weeks is that it might up his trade value from "no thanks" to "I'll do it as long as you pay most of his salary."

Which is funny, because one of the things that Sveum did as hitting coach that supposedly led to Rickie hitting well was having him lower his hands.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Which is funny, because one of the things that Sveum did as hitting coach that supposedly led to Rickie hitting well was having him lower his hands.

I genuinely believe that Sveum not being a member of the coaching staff has had an impact on Rickie more than most. I think Narron has done well especially with the development of Gomez, but I wish Sveum would've been brought back after his firing in Chicago.

I hope this is true... I would trade Weeks in a heartbeat for Phelps.

Phelps would make for a really nice LR/#6 SP.

I genuinely believe that Sveum not being a member of the coaching staff has had an impact on Rickie more than most. I think Narron has done well especially with the development of Gomez, but I wish Sveum would've been brought back after his firing in Chicago.

If my memory is correct, it was Sveum who before leaving decided to stop trying to make Gomez into a ground ball hitting and patient guy who could bat at the top of the order, and instead told Carlos to go ahead and just swing hard more like a power hitter.

Because of his great speed, for so long each team Gomez was on tried turning him into a leadoff hitter type who hit the ball on the ground a lot and took a bunch more walks, but that just wasn't in his DNA as a hitter. Once he was allowed though to swing hard and use his power instead, Carlos has become a much more productive hitter. The guy not only isn't a really patient take a bunch of walks type of batter, he's built more like an NFL safety than a Juan Pierre slap hitting typical leadoff hitter.

I read it more as Weeks+money saved for a Backup Catcher. Of the Yank's extras JR Murphy seems the best on paper. Do you send Maldonado to AAA for 2014 then? I know I read some posters concerns with having Maldonado as your backup after the stats he posted last year. It is good that Weeks is playing well thus far in ST at least because the rich Yankees and Dodgers just may have a roster spot for Weeks.

I really don't get the scouting of Phelps as a SP considering what we have now. Is Phelps in any way a major upgrade over the potential of Thornburg,Smith,Nelson,Hellweg,Jungmann? Just look at how big that list is of #5s we can toss at the back of the rotation?!!

Now, at the same time Seattle is mentioned and they have what? a plethora of 1b and a need for a #5. Anyone smell a 3 team trade forthcoming? Weeks to NY, Phelps to Sea, and Smoak to Milwaukee?

I read it more as Weeks+money saved for a Backup Catcher. Of the Yank's extras JR Murphy seems the best on paper. Do you send Maldonado to AAA for 2014 then? I know I read some posters concerns with having Maldonado as your backup after the stats he posted last year. It is good that Weeks is playing well thus far in ST at least because the rich Yankees and Dodgers just may have a roster spot for Weeks.

I really don't get the scouting of Phelps as a SP considering what we have now. Is Phelps in any way a major upgrade over the potential of Thornburg,Smith,Nelson,Hellweg,Jungmann? Just look at how big that list is of #5s we can toss at the back of the rotation?!!

Now, at the same time Seattle is mentioned and they have what? a plethora of 1b and a need for a #5. Anyone smell a 3 team trade forthcoming? Weeks to NY, Phelps to Sea, and Smoak to Milwaukee?

I wouldn't want to add a backup catcher to bump Maldonado. I think he's about as good as you'll get at that position in terms of total value. Sure his hitting is a question mark, but his defense is strong & he's a young hitter with some pop.

I think the team should just go with whatever plan their internal scouting reports support -- ST results shouldn't outweigh the larger view. And if Weeks plays well enough that the vesting option becomes a concern, I'm very confident the Brewers could find a buyer around the trade deadline. Basically, I want that to be a problem the team has to face. That'd be a win-win scenario imo.

I would assume Murphy still has options? Not sure about Romine. Both were 2nd rounders, and even though the Brewers don't seem to have a pressing need, either would strengthen the position in the system. It wouldn't necessarily mean they'd replace Maldonado this year.

That being said I still think the idea of a 3 team deal with either Seattle or the White Sox, who have a real need at catcher, is a realistic scenario.

read something on hardball talk today how the dodgers might be looking to rid themselves of the 2 years left on Brandon League's contract, what about a Weeks for League swap if the Dodgers pay League's 2nd year of his contract

read something on hardball talk today how the dodgers might be looking to rid themselves of the 2 years left on Brandon League's contract, what about a Weeks for League swap if the Dodgers pay League's 2nd year of his contract

UGH...no thank you. He has been awful here in LA after getting paid. I would rather keep Rickie.

UGH...no thank you. He has been awful here in LA after getting paid. I would rather keep Rickie.

The way I look at it is it would save a million or two this season and if he comes back to form we get him for 2 years otherwise we could then cut him after next year for no extra cost

I don't think that it makes any sense to trade Weeks for another bad contract at this point. I could see the reasoning behind trading him to dump most/all the salary, but not to assume someone like League. Right now, I'm 100% on board with giving Weeks the job for the first month or two at least. I sure hope they don't cave to public pressure and take on a bad player and/or eat a bunch of salary. It's not like you would be blocking a big time prospect- you'd think that Scooter was a young Paul Molitor or something based on some of the posts that I've read on jsonline.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It's not like you would be blocking a big time prospect- you'd think that Scooter was a young Paul Molitor or something based on some of the posts that I've read on jsonline.

It's hard for fans not to be excited about Scooter after the numbers he put up in Milwaukee last year. They see Scooter as a scrappy 2B who can hit .324 BA with decent power - and the guy who brought a welcome respite from Rickie's year and a half struggle at the plate and the field).

People are going to love and over value Scooter more than he will (likely) ever deserve. He's a gritty guy. He hits for average. He's a better fielder then Weeks. That's what people will see. They'll ignore his inability to hit lefties, his lack of walks, his average defense, his lack of power.

It doesn't mean Scooter can't be a solid starter for Milwaukee. It's unlikely he'll ever take many walks. Or hit lefties very well. But he can start 120-130 games at 2B, hit .280-.290 - a maybe even develop a little pop (10-15 HR) as he matures and gets stronger. There's some nice value in that - especially when he's not making a ton of money. But the guy's overall skill set screams 'average' to me. He'll have some nice qualities (which people will point out a lot), but also some serious limitations.

I'm torn about the Rickie or Scooter thing. With 1B likely being a platoon, I hate setting up a second platoon. It seems like a waste of roster space. In some ways, if the switch to Scooter is inevitable, I almost want to just make the move now and accept it. Hanging on to Rickie just seems like drawing out the situation, which can get uncomfortable.

On the other hand, having Rickie of 2009-11 back would be pretty awesome. I always loved the guy, despite his flaws. I hate to give up the chance to have that back for another year.

I fully expect Weeks to have a big year this year and out produce Gennett, provided Weeks stays healthy (which is always the situation/condition with him). I would be in favor of keeping him and trading him at the deadline if we are out of it or just keeping him all season.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• 2 weeks later...
So the plan would be to platoon Reynolds/Overbay at 1B and Bianchi/Scooter at 2B? Or two players who are bench players (Reynolds and Bianchi), a player that should be retired (Overbay) and a player who should not be an everyday player yet (Scooter) at this point in his career? Add into the equation another unproven quantity in LF and you have a recipe for a mid 70 win team.

could texas be interested in weeks with jurickson profar out ?

Daniels wouldn't give up his top prospects for Greinke, there is no way he's giving up anything of value for Weeks.

Profar’s Injury Could Open Door For Odor

Levine said the team will look at internal options, which include journeymen infielders Josh Wilson and Adam Rosales, but there is media speculation Rougned Odor, the team’s top prospect who was in big league camp, could be installed.

Levine declined to speculate about Odor, who has played only one month above Class A. Just 20, Odor has rocketed through the system and impressed last season at high A and Double A.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I wonder if Weeks has been shopped and nobody is willing to give anything significant in return and its like it was with Dave Bush when Melvin shopped him and was shocked that nobody wanted him. Melvin loves him and they could be in wait and see mode while they carefully watch his plate appearances.

Roenicke says the 2B who is doing better will play. If it was true it would be terrible managing. They obviously can't have a platoon because then Weeks would play so little.

Maybe its GM poker where he's just holding his cards hoping the price goes up when Rickie does well, but it could be he's thinking his dream of a player he believes is a superstar finally doing it.

Formerly AKA Pete

Think of it this way. The Brewers just outright released Juan Fran who to me has more upside for 1/9th the pay of Weeks. There isn't a trade partner that exists who will deal any single prospect for Weeks. Weeks has an untradeable contract the Crew are stuck with. Maybe in late Sept the Crew can send him through waivers for a trade if, Weeks has you know any kind of value to some team then. Weeks clearly has about 1-3years left in all of his baseball career. Yuni probably stands a better chance of playing next season for a MLB team than Weeks.

Think of it this way. The Brewers just outright released Juan Fran who to me has more upside for 1/9th the pay of Weeks. There isn't a trade partner that exists who will deal any single prospect for Weeks. Weeks has an untradeable contract the Crew are stuck with. Maybe in late Sept the Crew can send him through waivers for a trade if, Weeks has you know any kind of value to some team then. Weeks clearly has about 1-3years left in all of his baseball career. Yuni probably stands a better chance of playing next season for a MLB team than Weeks.

This post is really hard to take seriously. Opinion is great & all, but let's use some objectivity here.

Archived