Brewer Fanatic

Rickie Weeks

TURBO
Jays are contemplating putting Lawrie at 2B and inserting Francisco at 3B. Nobody is interested in Weeks. It's not like the Brewers haven't had his name out there since October. I think the Brewers are getting about what they expected out of him which isn't much but not so awful that he has to go now after just 33 AB's.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Blue Jays are currently using their fifth 2nd Baseman of the season, and have former 1st round pick Anthony Gose splitting time in CF with Colby Rasmus, who is a Free Agent at the end of this year and is making $7M. Their salaries are close enough that the teams should be able to work something out. Maybe Rickie could find something again in the hitter haven that is Skydome, and Rasmus would give us someone who could fill in at all three OF positions, and give us some power off the bench.

This has potential. The problem is that even though the BJs are in last place they are only 1.5 games out, and I think they can get a decent return for Rasmus in terms of prospects. If Braun projects to miss significant time, then I might see if Weeks + two of Fiers/Pena/Gagnon (any upper level starter not named Nelson, Cravy, or Jungmann) might get it done. Most of the BJs starters are on the wrong side of 30 and will be FAs or have cheap buyouts the next two years, so they will likely want team-controlled starting pitching in return.

Verified Member

Why would it take Weeks plus 2 other guys? I would think Rickie and one other guy would get it done since Rasmus is a FA after this season. I'm not sure I'd deal 2 other minor leaguers from that list to get Rasmus.

Doesn't Rasmus have a hard time staying healthy? I'm for moving Weeks, but not if we have to overpay in prospects.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Verified Member

Don't look now but Rickie is getting close to outhitting Scooter on the season...

*Edit* Ok, not quite yet, but Rickie has the better OBP and a couple more basehits and he will be. Weeks has been much better after his awful start to the season.

.257/.333/.286/.619

.283/.319/.398/.717

Don't look now but Rickie is getting close to outhitting Scooter on the season...

*Edit* Ok, not quite yet, but Rickie has the better OBP and a couple more basehits and he will be. Weeks has been much better after his awful start to the season.

.257/.333/.286/.619

.283/.319/.398/.717

His AB's have been much better the last couple of weeks no question. But unless Scooter nosedives, it's going to remain a platoon with Scooter getting most of the starts. Weeks' recent good AB's just assures he'll likely be around until at least July. I didn't think he could be productive off the bench, but he's seems to be adapting. Good for him and the Brewers. Too bad he can't play another position.

Weeks needs to start for 3-4 days to see what he's got,

I don't see that happening but he should get 3 starts in the next week or so. He'll start vs. CC Saturday, then likely start vs. Liriano on Thursday and Wood on Friday or Saturday in Chicago. He wasn't even a prime PH option until recently so he should be getting a few more opportunities.

Jays are contemplating putting Lawrie at 2B and inserting Francisco at 3B. Nobody is interested in Weeks. It's not like the Brewers haven't had his name out there since October. I think the Brewers are getting about what they expected out of him which isn't much but not so awful that he has to go now after just 33 AB's.

We can't possibly know who's interested in Weeks.

Second, just because we've had his name out there since October(assuming they have, I'll have to take your word for it) what difference does that make?

Players get hurt, struggle, teams look to exchange bad salaries in the hopes that a change of scenery might work. Teams look to add players when they're contending. A whole lotta things can change between October to May of the following year.

Vernon Wells was traded. So were dozens of others with bad salaries have been traded.

Just out of curiosity, I've seen it mentioned by posters on this forum that the Jays may play Francisco at 3rd base and Lawrie at 2nd. I have yet to see the Jays say they were going to make such a move.

Lawrie at the moment(a much better 3rd basemen than 2nd basemen by the way) is hitting .229/.276/.407

Weeks is hitting .257/.333/.286

Juan Francisco has a .389 BABIP(don't see that holding up). Is almost Ryan Braun-ish over at 3rd. And has hit well in 72 games as his BB rate is up to 12.5 from ~7 percent for his career and his ISO SLG is sitting at .311 up from .199.

I think it's fair to say that the 17 games he's played are a bit of an outlier given his career thus far.

So I think it's at least reasonable for the Jays to look at it as an opportunity to make Gose the full time starter to take a chance that Weeks can hit well as he's done in the past...especially if the Brewers are willing to pay a small part of Weeks salary in order to even out the financial obligations.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

The Blue Jays are currently using their fifth 2nd Baseman of the season, and have former 1st round pick Anthony Gose splitting time in CF with Colby Rasmus, who is a Free Agent at the end of this year and is making $7M. Their salaries are close enough that the teams should be able to work something out. Maybe Rickie could find something again in the hitter haven that is Skydome, and Rasmus would give us someone who could fill in at all three OF positions, and give us some power off the bench.

That would be a pretty bad trade for the Jays. Even only half a season of Rasmus is worth more than Weeks.

Worth more based on what? Projected WAR? Past WAR? Are we even using WAR, a means of comparing players values, but hardly an absolute determination of value.

And what's more, if the difference between Rasmus and Gose is negligible, yet Weeks is better than the FIVE second basemen they've already run out there this year, then even if we're using WAR to state mater of factually that he's twice as good, wouldn't that still be a net gain for the Jays? I think it's a little bit more involved than looking at projected WAR's and saying Rasmus is worth twice as much.

That has less to do with Lawrie and Francisco and more to do with the fact that the BJs second basemen have been putrid this season. Think 1B for the Brewers last season, that's how bad their 2B have been.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
That has less to do with Lawrie and Francisco and more to do with the fact that the BJs second basemen have been putrid this season. Think 1B for the Brewers last season, that's how bad their 2B have been.

That is why I suggested that the Jays could possibly be a good fit for Weeks. He's been a disappointment to Brewer fans, but Jays fans would probably welcome him with open arms, after watching Chris Getz and Steve Tollefson, among others that I can't even remember their names.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Weeks is a sunk cost, and really all he's doing is sucking up a roster spot because he can ONLY play 2nd base and pinch hit. If we're truly committed to playing Gennett at 2nd base, paying some, most, or even almost all of Weeks' salary in order to free up a roster spot to make this bench a bit more versatile shouldn't be a concern. We're paying him regardless, and if we can pay him, get something useful in return, AND get someone who can play more than JUST 2nd base, such a move should be considered.

I don't know about that, Lawrie stinks as well.

Rosenthal suggested Orioles could be a match. Lombardozzi is no great shakes (2 RBI and 2 Xtra base hits all year). Don't know whether they'd part with Delmon Young but he's a bat that's not all that dissimilar to Weeks offensively and he will agree to play LF. Davis has to be on a short leash despite 2 hits last night.

• 5 weeks later...
I am not sure that even if Weeks is hitting well I really want him to catch enough PAs for him to vest.

I don't think anyone does at this point. Nor do I think that's even a remote possibility at this point. He'd have to start every single game and get 5.3 PA's over the next 95 games.

For a point of reference, that would be 860 PA's over a full season. Weeks led the league a few years ago with 754 PA's. I think we're clearly out of the woods in terms of Weeks option vesting.

So Weeks and his option are no longer a concern. I do think he should get a little bit more playing time because he's going to struggle if he goes 5-6 days without getting a start as has been the case much of this year.

Archived