Brewer Fanatic

Rickie Weeks

TURBO

Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish is hearing the Marlins have some interest in Rickie Weeks.

Earlier this offseason Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said Scooter Gennett is penciled in as the team's starting second baseman next season, so the 31-year-old Weeks looks to be on the outs. Weeks is due $11 million in 2014 and has a vesting option for 2015. There hasn't been much buzz that the team is shopping Weeks, but he could likely be had for the right offer.

Source: Chris Cotillo on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/mlb/baseball?r=1

I would think that salary relief alone would motivate the Brewers to trade Rickie for just about anything they can get in return. Especially if it meant we didn't have to pay any of his contract.

The team would sure have a different look without Weeks AND Hart...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard the Yankees are looking for a second basemen. I'd give them a call.

You'd think the Yankees might be slightly open to a Weeks/Johnson platoon. Not the worst situation I could think of. But, ironically, Kelly Johnson actually hits LHP better than righties. I could see it happening though. The money for a year is peanuts to them.

All kidding aside, is there ANY way we could swing a deal with the Yanks for Gardner? They just turned down a deal for Phillips, so I don't really see them okaying a Weeks deal unless they like his shorter contract and get a bigger piece along with him. They could use Ramirez or Lohse, but we'd need another piece back then I would thinks.

All kidding aside, is there ANY way we could swing a deal with the Yanks for Gardner? They just turned down a deal for Phillips, so I don't really see them okaying a Weeks deal unless they like his shorter contract and get a bigger piece along with him. They could use Ramirez or Lohse, but we'd need another piece back then I would thinks.

I'm not sure that the Brewers, who just dealt an outfielder, would want one back. I like Gardner at the top of the order, but this effectively pushes Davis back to a 4th outfielder role. I just don't see them doing it no matter what I'd want. (I don't hold Khris Davis in as high regard as some on BF.net and always viewed him as a non-starter when all was said and done)

Please, please please please please please please please let this happen. Please.

To get out of that contract would be a miracle.

I can't fathom any team even considering trading for Weeks unless the Brewers threw in around 3-5 million.

That's fine with me. Instead of having to pay him 10 million we can spend that 5-7 million elsewhere. Get it done.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish is hearing the Marlins have some interest in Rickie Weeks.

Earlier this offseason Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said Scooter Gennett is penciled in as the team's starting second baseman next season, so the 31-year-old Weeks looks to be on the outs. Weeks is due $11 million in 2014 and has a vesting option for 2015. There hasn't been much buzz that the team is shopping Weeks, but he could likely be had for the right offer.

Source: Chris Cotillo on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/mlb/baseball?r=1

I would think that salary relief alone would motivate the Brewers to trade Rickie for just about anything they can get in return. Especially if it meant we didn't have to pay any of his contract.

The team would sure have a different look without Weeks AND Hart...

Another factor to consider is that a move to Miami would be 'going home' for Rickie. I could see this happening, although I have to admit I'm surprised the Marlins have any interest.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel was told by a source that there is "nothing to" rumors of Rickie Weeks being traded to the Marlins.

There were multiple reports late Wednesday night that the Marlins were looking into Weeks, but it's an odd fit since the club just signed Rafael Furcal to sign second base. The Brewers appear ready to give the starting second base job to Scooter Gennett, but it will be tough to move Weeks, who is owed $11 million next season and has a vesting option for 2015.

Source: Tom Haudricourt on Twitter

I think the solution for the Weeks dilemma is the following:

see what shape/health he's in at Spring training - if he's healthy it's worth starting the season with 2B as a platoon scenario with Weeks and Gennett. That would limit his ABs likely to the point to not have enough appearances for that 2015 vesting option. If Weeks is healthy and producing reasonably close to his career #'s, I would think he'd have value to a contending team looking to bolster their lineup or bench at the trade deadline - and it should be enough value to get a decent prospect in return without the Brewers send money with Weeks in the deal. If the Brewers are actually in contention come the trade deadline and Weeks is part of the reason, you keep him if that vesting option is unlikely to be reached.

While I agree that a platoon could be a way to get Rickie off to a decent start to increase his value, I wonder if it is possible for both to be on the opening day roster. With both players limited to 2nd base only, does that leave us short on the bench?

Maldonado

Schafer

Gindl

Bianchi

(Plus a Halton/Francisco type to backup the infield corners)

...and if he sucks as part of this platoon everyone is mentioning, how long do we trot him out there, potentially costing us wins, before our manager finally wises up and benches him for good?

I'm not a fan of Rickie being part of a platoon that our manager can't figure out isn't working until it is too late...

...and if he sucks as part of this platoon everyone is mentioning, how long do we trot him out there, potentially costing us wins, before our manager finally wises up and benches him for good?

I'm not a fan of Rickie being part of a platoon that our manager can't figure out isn't working until it is too late...

Given how poorly Gennett has hit vs lefties through his minor league career, it would be pretty hard for Weeks to do worse.

It's a lot easier to trade during spring training than it is once the season starts. Either they find a trade partner in spring or they'll just release him and eat the contract. I don't buy the platoon idea. I think they are pretty committed to Gennett. They'll give starts to keep Bianchi fresh against lefties.

Given how poorly Gennett has hit vs lefties through his minor league career, it would be pretty hard for Weeks to do worse.

Gennett was never platooned in the minor leagues and hit .330 vs. lefties in 2010, and .282 vs. lefties in 2011. The last couple seasons, he hit .241 and .235 against them, but that's not as bad as you suggest.

Weeks slumped against all pitching the last couple seasons. Last year he hit just .226 off of lefthanders. Bianchi hit .258.

Gennett was never platooned in the minor leagues and hit .330 vs. lefties in 2010, and .282 vs. lefties in 2011. The last couple seasons, he hit .241 and .235 against them, but that's not as bad as you suggest.

Weeks slumped against all pitching the last couple seasons. Last year he hit just .226 off of lefthanders. Bianchi hit .258.

There is much more to hitting than batting average.

Gennett in AAA/AA

2013 vs lefties-- .262 OBP/.592 OPS

2012 VS lefties--.271 OBP/.607 OPS

Weeks

2013 vs lefties-- .328 OBP/.705 OPS

2012 vs lefties-- .387 OBP/.740 OPS

Did you not see Weeks play last year? Oh yes, it could be worse, it could be a lot worse, and the thought of watching another season like Rickie had last year, even in a platoon situatuion, sickens me...

Did you not see Weeks play last year? Oh yes, it could be worse, it could be a lot worse, and the thought of watching another season like Rickie had last year, even in a platoon situatuion, sickens me...

Weeks awful no go, very bad season in MLB: wRC+ 86.

Gennett's season in AAA: wRC+ 84

You are likely going to be very sick.

Weeks awful no go, very bad season in MLB: wRC+ 86.

Gennett's season in AAA: wRC+ 84

You are likely going to be very sick.

Yeah, there is no way they trade Rickie. Aside from the huge sell-low issue, Gennett is completely unproven and if he falters who is the backup? It would be like if they traded Gallardo last off-season to make room for Fiers as the new ace after his dominant debut. (Well, trading Gallardo might actually have been a good move, but you get my point...)

MLBTR says that Melvin told Hardicourt all rumors involving Weeks were false. He's unmovable without sending a minimum of 8mil to the other team....maybe 10mil. And that's 1/9th to 1/12th the team's payroll. I doubt there's even a C prospect in return for even doing so. You just have to keep him and stomach his swings and misses, first pitch groundouts when he does make contact and the 3Run HRs when the game isn't within 4runs.

Archived