Brewer Fanatic

Mariners to Sign Corey Hart -- latest: Corey's full-page goodbye letter in JS, post #97

brewcrewdue80
I remember him getting three standing ovations with a strikeout in 2003. Corey accounts for more than half the baseballs I've gotten from going to games. I wish him all the luck in Seattle.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an end of an era and it makes me feel old. I had a job in the student computer lab when I was in college and had virtually nothing to do...so I spent hours following the minors back then....Fielder, Hart, Weeks, Hardy, etc. Weeks remains for now, but the rest of the guys have had long MLB careers and will be retiring within a few years.

Not only was it something to do, but it was also exciting watching and waiting for these guys and now that's gone. I no longer have the time and our system has nobody like this coming any time soon.

• 1 month later...

Do the Mariners not know that Hart is an absolute liability in the outfield? Man, you'd think that a professional baseball team would have some clue as to what their players have done in the past. His last year playing in RF was a mess, it was a complete blessing that he was able to shift to 1B on the defensive side.

Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon said Wednesday that Corey Hart will mostly work in the outfield early on in camp.

Hart missed the entire 2013 season while recovering from dual knee surgeries, so the Mariners are going to take it easy with him early in camp. He did everything but sliding during drills on Tuesday. The hope is that Hart will feel comfortable enough to play the outfield on a regular basis, but he could also rotate to first base and the DH spot on occasion.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• 1 month later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Hart was a bit disappointed that other Brewer players didn't attempt to get him to come back.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mil/seattle-mariners-corey-hart-doesnt-regret-leaving-milwaukee-brewers-has-no-hard-feelings?ymd=20140319&content_id=69643984&vkey=news_mil

"I think I was expecting more players to reach out and try to keep me. A lot of the coaches reached out. But these guys [the Mariners] were overwhelming. We had a few other teams that were right there, too. I thought Milwaukee would have made it harder, but at the end of it, it wasn't a tough decision."

"If someone like Braunie [Ryan Braun] or Rickie [Weeks] or Luc [Jonathan Lucroy] would have reached out, it would have made it a lot harder."

Not that it would have mattered that much. Hart would have taken a discount - but the potential total - $13 million from Seattle vs $6.5 million from Milwaukee was just to large.

I don't think Corey has to apologize for leaving, or that he should feel bad for taking the Brewers money last year. Nobody expects these things to go the other way around. For example Luc is probably going to end up leaving ten million on the table in arbitration alone by signing an extension before he broke out. Nobody expects the Brewers to give him any extra money, or give him a sweetheart deal on his next contract. Fans love to talk about loyalty come free agent time, but they're often the first to turn their back on a player when he's not performing.
advocates for the devil

Please. Either you like your teammates or you don't. I'll miss him as much as he does or doesn't miss us.

I can't accept the "Well, Rickie Weeks didn't beg me to stay so I said, 'Cya.'" If you don't like the city or the front office or your teammates, just say so. No one will remember either way. It's not like we burn Chad Fox in effigy on the anniversary of his final Brewers injury, no matter if *I* think we should or not.

If he wanted to stay here, he would have. He'll make a solid DH.

• 2 months later...
There is something to be said for the fact that in a sea of bad options at first the Brewers could have had so far this year, at least they haven't had to pay a lot for disappointment.

There is something to be said for the fact that in a sea of bad options at first the Brewers could have had so far this year, at least they haven't had to pay a lot for disappointment.

There was a lot of criticism of Melvin for not having a plan. Seems like the plan of- if you are stuck with poor options take the cheapest one- was the best route to go. As was said this could make it harder to get Morales. Assuming that was an option they were considering.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Verified Member
For those concerned about Hart's health...it's another 4 to 6 weeks of inactivity for Hart.

http://seattletimes.com/html/mariners/2023675770_marinersnotebook23xml.html

Along with Fielder being out for the year, it appears the Rangers and Mariners are back in the hunt for Morales for different reasons.

Even assuming that Seattle/Texas want to pay to add another bat, the Brewers can easily outbid both of them simply by offering Morales multiple years. Fielder will be back in 2015, and although Hart is on a one-year deal the Mariners have too many options at 1B/DH when everybody is healthy.

The Brewers need a 1B for multiple years. They should easily outbid anybody else unless somebody offers a massive one-year deal.

Why would the Mariners want Morales. They already have 2 first baseman in addition to Hart.

John Heyman has learned the following:

"Is it possible that like the Red Sox, the Mariners will act to re-sign their own player once they are convinced they won't be receiving a draft choice by virtue of him signing elsewhere before the draft? Seattle is said to have loved Morales on the field and in the clubhouse, and it is believed the Mariners have maintained occasional contact with Morales, who had 23 homers and 80 RBI for them in 2013. Justin Smoak (.232 batting average, .709 OPS) has been only OK, Logan Morrison has been hurt, and Corey Hart just went on the disabled list with hamstring trouble. The Mariners, with a .670 team OPS (27th best in baseball) could use the offensive boost, especially if they believe they have a chance to contend. They spent more money than anyone but the Yankees to give themselves an opportunity to compete. If the Mariners, now 22-23, believe they have a shot at a wild card, they may stretch the budget just a little more. Possible."

Source: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24570399/rangers-may-play-for-kendrys-but-so-may-brewers-mariners-others

Archived