Brewer Fanatic

Mariners to Sign Corey Hart -- latest: Corey's full-page goodbye letter in JS, post #97

brewcrewdue80
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

I figured it would happen but this is a disaster for any slim chance the Brewers had at competing in 2014. They needed to have Hart back and he needed to have a big year.

First base was a embarrassment in 2013 and we now have another season of that to look forward to. Or, alternatively, we will end up paying even more (prospects or multi-year contracts) for a mediocre fill-in. Plus the Mariners took LoMo also so even the other high-upside option is gone. Yikes.

Just read Hart's offers were:

Brewers: $8.2m base with up to $10.5 in incentives

Mariners: $5m base with up to $13 in incentives

Wow...Barring some really easily reachable incentives, it appears Hart wanted to leave. He had surgeries on two knees last year and there is no guarantee he will remain what he was. I would rather take the Brewers $3.2m more in base than the opportunity to make $2.5m in incentives. Keep in mind, Hart would have been able to make more than last year and not take the pay cut. I understand "baseball is a business" but its kind of a jerk move IMO given his previous statements.

EDIT: Melvin just said both Mariners offers (base/guarantee) beat Brewers offers. I rescind the last statement if true.

Is it just me or does Loney remind anyone else of Franklin Stubbs? Scary thought, and he was also seen as the missing LH piece that the lineup needed. I would rather they beg Gamel to come back. Just an extremely disappointing off season thus far.

Not close. Stubbs full seasons before becoming a Brewer he hit .226, .233, .223, .261. Loney's only once hit under .267 and that was .249 in 2012. Back the Brewers thought Stubbs would be a 25 HR guy and that would offset a low BA. Stubbs compares more to Ike Davis. Loney's comparables through age 29 include Chris Chambliss, Mark Grace, Dan Driessen, Wally Joyner and Sean Casey. That's not a bad list.

It's being reported Hart got a deal similar to Napoli's last year: $5 million base with incentives going up to around $13 million. That's a far cry from what the Brewer offer supposedly topped out at. I'm sure the base was close, but the incentives weren't in the ballpark.

I never hold it against a guy for taking the best deal available. I hope he has an All-Star season, and turns it into more money in 2015 and beyond.

And I don't blame Melvin for offering him what he did. At some point, the price just gets too high.

I don't see the Brewers competing in 2014 anyway, so this forces them to plan B. Just hope it's not plan Yuni B.

Wow...Barring some really easily reachable incentives, it appears Hart wanted to leave. He had surgeries on two knees last year and there is no guarantee he will remain what he was. I would rather take the Brewers $3.2m more in base than the opportunity to make $2.5m in incentives. Keep in mind, Hart would have been able to make more than last year and not take the pay cut. I understand "baseball is a business" but its kind of a jerk move IMO given his previous statements.

EDIT: Melvin just said both Mariners offers (base/guarantee) beat Brewers offers. I rescind the last statement if true.

Link? The only thing I read was Haudricourt citing a "source" that said $8 million max with incentives, not $8 million base. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/235440371.html

Link? The only thing I read was Haudricourt citing a "source" that said $8 million max with incentives, not $8 million base. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/235440371.html

On this tweet link, there's this response tweet from Jim Breen:

Melvin just said Mariners beat Brewers in both base salary and incentives.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I really hope they just go with Francisco and Halton instead of doing some stupid trade or signing for Morrison, Davis or Loney.

This makes too much sense for this short-term only organization. Prepare yourself for Thornburg for Davis or giving Loney too much money.

This should be another tally in the "rebuild" column, but of course, it won't end that way.

Not sure I can believe a tweet throwing out numbers from a "source" - I'm going to assume the M's were above the Brewers on base salary like Melvin said. I don't think Hart would reject $8.2 mil guaranteed coming off a surgery. Despite his poor hair/facial hair choices, he's not stupid.

Not sure I can believe a tweet throwing out numbers from a "source" - I'm going to assume the M's were above the Brewers on base salary like Melvin said. I don't think Hart would reject $8.2 mil guaranteed coming off a surgery. Despite his poor hair/facial hair choices, he's not stupid.

I don't know who his source is in the Brewers organization but the Brewers Nation has been pretty spot on in the past regarding potential Brewers transactions. Doesn't mean he is always right, just that I don't doubt his "source."

Take it with a grain of salt if you choose...

A Morris/Halton platoon could probably equal Loney's production for many million dollars left.

If DM is hellbent on bringing in a 1st basemen I hope he swings for the fences and doesn't settle. Either pull something out of your butt for an allstar type player or go with what you already have.

Not sure why Loney would be so terrible. He's lefty for starters. Incredibly solid at first base. Not injury riddled. His power might be tick better hitting at Miller Park. Decent average. I'd take him over any other first baseman the crew trotted out over the last 2 years (I know, that's not saying much). He isn't quite as intriguing as Duda or Ike Davis as far as upside and power potential, but we wouldn't have to give up part of our depleted farm system to get him. For the right price, I'd take Loney in a heartbeat. Hard working, shows up for work everyday, consistent, blue-collar guy.

Not sure why Loney would be so terrible. He's lefty for starters. Incredibly solid at first base. Not injury riddled. His power might be tick better hitting at Miller Park. Decent average. I'd take him over any other first baseman the crew trotted out over the last 2 years (I know, that's not saying much). He isn't quite as intriguing as Duda or Ike Davis as far as upside and power potential, but we wouldn't have to give up part of our depleted farm system to get him. For the right price, I'd take Loney in a heartbeat. Hard working, shows up for work everyday, consistent, blue-collar guy.

To your point on his offense possibly increasing with a more hitter-friendly home park, his career road slash line is .302/.354/.465/.819. Not too shabby when you add in his good defense, actually. The one downside would be that he hasn't been able to hit LHP (career .256/.308/.361/.669 line).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm not crazy about Loney but the Brewers must REALLY feel Halton/Morris/Rogers aren't nearly ready for the big time, yet. Thoughts of Francisco appearing anywhere other than the transactions column (meaning actually on the field) is cause for nightmares -- been there, seen that, & got sick because of it.

At minimum, if they signed Loney, I'd think there would still be a trade market later for Loney if one of the young guys shows (or ever gets a chance to show) he's for real.

I like Hart a lot but figured he was a one-year fix anyway, and his health is quite a gamble, though I'd expect him to rebound close to career norms (actual numbers or at least paced that way) IF he's healthy.

Archived