Brewer Fanatic

Johan Santana

ewitkows

Eight teams have expressed interest in left-hander Johan Santana, reports Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York. The Yankees, Mets, Twins, Rays, Orioles, Royals, Brewers and Pirates have all expressed varying levels of interest. Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review tweets that the Pirates have requested his medical records today and plan to meet with agent Peter Greenberg this afternoon.

According to Marchand, Santana and Greenberg are willing to accept an offer in the near future if a team is able to separate itself from the pack, but if not, Santana will throw in January in a showcase for interested teams. Shoulder problems have forced Santana to sit out two of the past three seasons.

Depends on how much he wants, this could be a good pick up

Huge talent & resume. I'd consider a gamble very worth taking if the medicals are even remotely encouraging. If it pans out well, it gives the team leverage to trade another veteran/proven starter for good assets or bump a younger guy to the 'pen.

It would be a nice gamble but we've seen plenty of times that very injured, very good pitchers get signed by the likes of Boston and New York just to spend the year rehabbing and making a handful of starts. The only way he ends up in Milwaukee is if he loves brats and beer more than money.

Maybe they can convince him there's something about the magic of the Midwest that made him so dominant in Minnesota.

He's a year plus removed from pitching; I wonder how much he's looking for. Can't imagine it would be anything more than a one-year "prove me" contract. I'm assuming based on the fact that so many teams are interested that they haven't been completely scared off by the medical opinions on his shoulder.

The more interested teams, the less likely we would have a shot. We'll never match the $ that other teams are throwing at these players. Sometimes it feels like there are a lot of players that are just plain untouchable by teams like the Brewers.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The money question is an interesting one. The Brewers offered Hart just over $6M and Doug Melvin seemed to imply they couldn't spend much more than that on him. Could be a few reasons for that; the team might be budgeting for some other signing, or maybe that's all their risk assessment of Hart's knees said they should spend, or maybe there's a spending cap coming from the top.

The more interested teams, the less likely we would have a shot. We'll never match the $ that other teams are throwing at these players. Sometimes it feels like there are a lot of players that are just plain untouchable by teams like the Brewers.

Nobody is going to throw a big multi-year contract at Santana, but teams with much larger revenue streams can afford to risk a larger amount of money on even just a one year deal for players with major injury history, than teams with a stricter budget.

So Santana isn't exactly untouchable to the Brewers. More so that rolling the dice with say 5-10 million on a guy with his recent injury problems is tough to risk with a team budget at 80-90 million, and most of that money already accounted for.

Sometimes it can pay off big though with some luck. The Pirates rolled the dice on Liriano after he struggled for multiple years, but he was great for them last season and in turn made his contract look like a huge bargain.

• 3 weeks later...

Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN reports that free agent Johan Santana is mulling over multiple minor league deals, but the Twins are not one of the teams that have made an offer.

The Twins remain interested in a reunion with Santana, but are not one of the multiple teams that have formally made him an offer. The Astros, Pirates, Yankees, Rays, Orioles and Brewers are all known to have varying levels of interest in the 34-year-old southpaw.

Source: Darren Wolfson on Twitter

I have to admit, I am all in on this idea if the price is right, really right...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I highly doubt that the Brewers would be in on this. 35 years old and off two major shoulder surgeries generally isn't a good risk. I'd stay away, unless he was willing to go really cheap. Considering all the teams mentioned here, that's not happening.

Plus, if I'm Santana & all the noted teams are actually interested, there are at least three teams of those six that look like more legit postseason contenders than the Brewers.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Low base & nice incentives are what about any team would put together except the "big spenders" or "hoarders," of which the Yankees are consistently one, although keep in mind that part of the reason they've not gotten every big FA on the market is that they're wary of the luxury tax threshold.

What the Brewers might offer more than some of those teams is a chance to pitch A LOT if he proves healthy -- maybe even a better opportunity than most of the other teams on that list besides Houston.

I'd say the odds still don't seem to favor the Brewers, but I still wish they'd make a play -- $2M or so guaranteed with the chance of a good payoff would be worth that gamble. If he pitches well, the Brewers & Santana would both reap the benefits.

Johan isn't going to be looking for a contending team or the most money. He's going to be looking for the team he can most likely make the rotation of because he's looking to make his money next offseason. Having said that, the Brewers should be interested but I don't think our rotation is enough of a disaster to convince Johan he has a good chance to make it.

I could very easily see the Brewers being in the mix and I think the Brewers could offer him exactly what he wants. We have the flexibility with our young staff to pencil him in as a starter. I would be happy if the Brewers do a major league deal with a low base- say $4M with huge incentives based on innings pitched, ERA, wins etc. The hope is that Santana gets to those incentives because if he does it means a healthy season with strong numbers from someone who was an elite lefty- something that the brewers rotation sorely is missing.

From the Brewers side a rotation of Gallardo, Lohse, Santana, Peralta and Estrada/Thornberg would be great with Nelson, Hellweg, Fiers, etc waiting in the wings if/when an injury occurs. Seems like it could be a real win/win. With the young pitching we have, now is the time to take some flyers like this because we have minor league options on so many of these arms and have them at the ready as fill ins when their are injuries.

I highly doubt that the Brewers would be in on this. 35 years old and off two major shoulder surgeries generally isn't a good risk. I'd stay away, unless he was willing to go really cheap. Considering all the teams mentioned here, that's not happening.

This:

Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN reports that free agent Johan Santana is mulling over multiple minor league deals

Pretty much means nothing. He would only get his payday if he made the ML Roster. Much like KRod last year, there's probably going to be a deadline to date to determine when he's called up or he's released and a FA again. I can't imagine his minor league contract when picked up being above 4mil by any team interested when on a deadlined deal. That said, he's a great risk/reward pickup that as mentioned, he would most likely look to sign with a team where he has a SP shot to build upon for 2014/15FA. With Gallardo/Peralta/Nelson/Thornburg/Estrada/ and Hellweg as your #'s 2-7 You could be Johan thinking there's a #5 spot to be had come time for that deadline decision to call up to the ML club or be released. I see no reason for Tampa to be mentioned, adding Santana would be like telling all your prized SPs you don't have faith in them. The Yankees interest likely hinders on Tanaka because if they get Tanaka, don't really believe Santana has a spot. Houston? AL team in a HR friendly park against a division filled with breakout Hitters? I doubt he pitches below 6ERA pitching to 3.7ERA here.

I think Pitts/Milw have an advantage because of the NL competition. Baltimore is the only AL team linked that maybe stands a chance.

Can not a team ('Brewers') offer a MLB contract? Say 2 Mill with incentives more. Now, if Johan shows he is not up to scratch in spring training, you simply cut him. I am not sure of what dates on the roster make you responsible for what percentages of the yearly salary. But it seems to me, the worst case scenario is the Brewers spend 25% of 2 Mill to get a the ownership rights for the rest of the year. They wont outbid teams, but they can be 'first movers' and 'gamblers' and 'risk takers'.

This is not like the risk of 10 mill on Gagne. That was 10 mill blown. This would be a 500k 'option' on a player, so to speak.

Can not a team ('Brewers') offer a MLB contract? Say 2 Mill with incentives more. Now, if Johan shows he is not up to scratch in spring training, you simply cut him. I am not sure of what dates on the roster make you responsible for what percentages of the yearly salary. But it seems to me, the worst case scenario is the Brewers spend 25% of 2 Mill to get a the ownership rights for the rest of the year. They wont outbid teams, but they can be 'first movers' and 'gamblers' and 'risk takers'.

This is not like the risk of 10 mill on Gagne. That was 10 mill blown. This would be a 500k 'option' on a player, so to speak.

Santana would likely prefer to have a longer look than just a month of spring training hence a minor league deal with a June 1 opt out (as opposed to a very low non-guaranteed major league deal) makes more sense on both sides. He also wouldn't count on the 40 man and the Brewers would have that time to assess their current projected rotation. I'd prefer a Scott Baker myself on a similar deal.

My thinkIng is most MLB guys cherish a major vs a minor contract. I am Santana agnostic. I just am wondering if there is a way the Crew can outmanouver the big spenders. Aoki was a great (albeit accidental) example.

• 4 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I owned him for like 9 years in fantasy so he has a special place in my heart. I'd love the Brewers to take a flier (flyer?) on him at the right price.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived