Brewer Fanatic

Roy Halladay announces retirement

Invader3K

...and if Gord Ash hadn't been so stubborn, he could have been a Brewer (Halladay, Carpenter, & Escobar were the Toronto pitchers rumored to be available around the time of the Vina trade -- the Jays wouldn't make the deal).

I think he's a Hall of Famer. Otherwise, I don't know which pitchers from this era get in.

He was considered among the top handful of guys when he played. More than 200 wins, great winning percentage. Current leader in CG and SHO. 8-time All Star. Four times lead his league in innings. Three times won 20+. . .

Those are the kind of things that define 21st century greatness, IMO.

I agree with you Jim, if Halladay isn't a Hall of Famer than I don't know who gets in that spent the majority of their career in the 21st century. Of active pitchers I'd say only Kershaw, Verlander, King Felix and CC have anything resembling a chance at this point.

...and if Gord Ash hadn't been so stubborn, he could have been a Brewer (Halladay, Carpenter, & Escobar were the Toronto pitchers rumored to be available around the time of the Vina trade -- the Jays wouldn't make the deal).

So... if the Jays wouldn't make the deal, how does that make Ash the stubborn one? I don't see how Vina was getting either of those, being 30 years old and coming off of a season in which he played 37 games to a tune of a .670 OPS [sarcasm]and a charge of theft of my buddy's girlfriend[/sarcasm].

Good thing Carpenter wasn't traded to the Brewers. How would he have explained that to his son?

So... if the Jays wouldn't make the deal, how does that make Ash the stubborn one? I don't see how Vina was getting either of those, being 30 years old and coming off of a season in which he played 37 games to a tune of a .670 OPS [sarcasm]and a charge of theft of my buddy's girlfriend[/sarcasm].

Good thing Carpenter wasn't traded to the Brewers. How would he have explained that to his son?

a) Gord Ash was with the Blue Jays, and b) I think bj was joking.

He will sign a one day contract with Toronto and retire officially as a Blue Jay.

Does anyone know how much they actually get paid for this day contract? I've always wondered this as I've seen many athletes do this. I believe Favre did this to retire but always wondered if it was in the thousands, a dollar, more, less?

He will sign a one day contract with Toronto and retire officially as a Blue Jay.

Does anyone know how much they actually get paid for this day contract? I've always wondered this as I've seen many athletes do this. I believe Favre did this to retire but always wondered if it was in the thousands, a dollar, more, less?

Seeing as retiring as a member of a team means diddly squat other than sentimental value I'm sure these contracts are just honorary and are not any sort of a legal contract. If they were the Phillies (or other teams) would have to clear roster space for them.

You can't put someone in the Hall based off of two games. That said, I do think he will get in at some point. 200 wins is kinda a low number in terms of starting pitching, but most of them come from a team that was middle of the road in the hardest division. He's not a first ballot guy, but I think 4-5 years down the road he'll get in depending on the rest of the class that he's up against.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
You can't put someone in the Hall based off of two games. That said, I do think he will get in at some point. 200 wins is kinda a low number in terms of starting pitching, but most of them come from a team that was middle of the road in the hardest division. He's not a first ballot guy, but I think 4-5 years down the road he'll get in depending on the rest of the class that he's up against.

A lot of people want to put Jack Morris in the hall for one outstanding game (7). Aside from that, he was an extremely average, durable pitcher.

Archived