Brewer Fanatic

If Jack Z and the Mariners came calling...

The Mariners look like they are going all in for 2014. I've read that they are looking for outfielders and good bats. If the Jack Z offered Taijuan Walker and other pitching prospects for Braun would you do it? What would you trade Gomez for? Braun's marketing value has gone down. He's no longer the untouchable face of the franchise marketing superstar that he used to be. The Brewers badly need pitching prospects. Trading Braun or Gomez would be a great way to acquire young pitching. The Mariners have a surplus of pitching prospects.

I'd think I'd take Walker straight up for Gomez. I was never really sold on Gomez and I think he's still a bit overrated. That being said, he should be able to bring back an elite prospect. I'd also strongly considering taking Hultzen and maybe one lower level player for Gomez assuming Hultzen is healthy. Hultzen has tremendous minor league numbers and we are really hurting for lefties.

As far as Braun goes I just don't think the time is right to move him. This is the kind of player who was putting up Hall of Fame type numbers before his suspension. If he can prove those numbers were not dependent on PED's his value could really shoot up again. His contract is reasonable and we have him for like 7 more years so there is no need to rush a trade.

All this being said, everyone knows Melvin isn't going to do this, especially not that Aoki has been traded. He should do it but he won't.

I firmly believe that Seattle will be landing spot for David Price for the prospects you just mentioned. A 1-2 of Felix-Price...Seattle would have a serious shot in the West

I think they'll be getting Price or Kemp. Price will cost prospects but I think the Dodgers would take much lesser prospects if the Mariners just took the whole contract.

I'd think I'd take Walker straight up for Gomez. I was never really sold on Gomez and I think he's still a bit overrated. That being said, he should be able to bring back an elite prospect. I'd also strongly considering taking Hultzen and maybe one lower level player for Gomez assuming Hultzen is healthy. Hultzen has tremendous minor league numbers and we are really hurting for lefties.

Hultzen is going to miss the entire 2014 season after undergoing Rotator Cuff Surgery.

Seattle certainly has some work to do if they plan to win in 2014. If they flip Taijuan Walker for David Price, I could picture them offering up a package for Carlos Gomez starting with James Paxton and Nick Franklin. Since the Brewers seem to prefer prospects either knocking on the door to MLB or recently graduated to the majors, I could see them at least entertain the offer. Seattle would likely need to add on an additional prospect to the deal.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I don't see why Seattle would need to add another prospect. I'd take Paxton and Franklin and run away.

If you take Franklin you might as well give them Gennett because they'd be no place for him in Milwaukee. He's useless a backup because he can't play 3rd or SS.

I think we are underselling Gomez aren't we?

Paxton is 25? and wasn't impressive in the minors last season only to show some success in the Majors. I'd take Hellweg above Paxton. Would you trade Gomez for Hellweg?

3 years of Gomez at pennies to the dollar in value? Plus QO worthiness? So already you figure him being replaced when he departs with a B type potential Prospect?

I don't know if Walker would be traded for Gomez. But if he was offered up + Stephen Pryor I'd strongly consider it.

The situation with Gennett or Franklin/Miller is tough. I think either of them are SS capable for Seattle and I'd likely consider Miller over Franklin. Better Bb/K ratio I think his bat is further along than Franklin's. You play either him or Segura at SS the other at 2b. But of course that displaces both Gennett and Weeks this year so the trade doesn't fit well.

But really the great get would be Walker + Pryor. Ace+ future Closer and we know how much value is in quality closers. That's really the only deal I make.

Now, I would inquire with Seattle on Erasmo Ramirez for Lohse Or better yet. To offer Lohse plus Gennett for Franklin and Ramirez.

I think Ramirez has potential. Is only 23 coming back from an injury and will bounceback soon to a 3.6ish ERA SP. Saving money and acquiring Ramirez/Franklin over Gennett is just too hard not to want.(Again I'd take Miller 1st but Franklin is likely on the tables)

Really your get there is the upgrade for 2b long term over Gennett while potentially grabbing a very strong young #3 for your rotation.

As far as Braun goes I just don't think the time is right to move him. This is the kind of player who was putting up Hall of Fame type numbers before his suspension. If he can prove those numbers were not dependent on PED's his value could really shoot up again. His contract is reasonable and we have him for like 7 more years so there is no need to rush a trade.

All this being said, everyone knows Melvin isn't going to do this, especially not that Aoki has been traded. He should do it but he won't.

That's a good point. If Braun goes back to being Braun, would you still keep him or still try to fix the rotation? I'd have to think long and hard about that one. The Brewers don't have anyone in the organization that has the potential to be Verlander, Kershaw, or Price. Walker and Hultzen would fix the Brewers problems. Imagine a rotation of Walker, Hultzen, Peralta for the future? Maybe Nelson, Thornburg, or Hellweg can be in the rotation. I like Gomez, but I'm a little scared that last year was a fluke.

Hellweg's got great stuff but lousy control. His BB were outrageous in MLB (not that a rookie with the initial yips is anything new), but they were also very poor in AAA.

It'd be easy to cite how another tall/skinny/huge-arm guy, Randy Johnson (ironically, like Hellweg, also one of three top prospects -- w/ Brian Holman and Gene Harris -- traded for an ace in Mark Langston), took 3-5 years in MLB to finally harness his ability and dominate MLB for a decade or more (Johnson's BB numbers were atrocious his first 3 full years and arguably might not have lasted in MLB long enough to work that out if it weren't for the patience Seattle showed -- he didn't really hit his stride and have truly good WHIP figures 'til his 6th MLB season at age 29). But Hellweg's got a long way to go before showing he could be that kind of pitcher -- and lots of guys like him have flamed out and never come close to putting it together.

Back on topic, I'm not inclined to trade either Gomez or Braun, though I'd probably at least listen on Gomez.

Hellweg's got great stuff but lousy control. His BB were outrageous in MLB (not that a rookie with the initial yips is anything new), but they were also very poor in AAA.

It'd be easy to cite how another tall/skinny/huge-arm guy, Randy Johnson (ironically, like Hellweg, also one of three top prospects -- w/ Brian Holman and Gene Harris -- traded for an ace in Mark Langston), took 3-5 years in MLB to finally harness his ability and dominate MLB for a decade or more (Johnson's BB numbers were atrocious his first 3 full years and arguably might not have lasted in MLB long enough to work that out if it weren't for the patience Seattle showed -- he didn't really hit his stride and have truly good WHIP figures 'til his 6th MLB season at age 29). But Hellweg's got a long way to go before showing he could be that kind of pitcher -- and lots of guys like him have flamed out and never come close to putting it together.

Agreed. A Hellweg-type is not a guy I would be targeting as a main piece in a Gomez trade. In fact, Hellweg would be the third piece I would be looking for as his numbers in Triple AAA to me are indicative of a guy who probably won't translate into much at the MLB level. A 3.16 ERA in Nashville is great, however when you look at his 1.46 WHIP, it is quite terrifying to think of the Brewers giving up a talent like Gomez for a package where a Hellweg-type in the centerpiece or a main component.

If you can get back Walker in any deal then the answer is a resounding, "Yes!".

We need young impact pitching to build a rotation around, and since we don't have it and we need to start someplace, and I'd move Gomez for him straight up.

And before someone says it, you can't build a rotation around a bunch of players regardless of skill level who profile best as 3s or worse like Jungmann, Burgos, Fiers, and so on. We need to build around legitimate talent.

On the flip side if Seattle dumps their prospects to go all in, I'd be pissed as a Mariner fan. They'd have a 2 year window and then have to start over again? Is a World Series appearance even realistic? What's the sense in that? As good as a talent evaluator as Jack Z is, he's essentially a Melvin clone as a GM, maybe a poor man's version, which isn't all that surprising. I've always thought of Melvin as a poor man's Walt Jocketty... which should tell you all you need to know about how I view Z's tenure at the helm in Seattle.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived