Brewer Fanatic

Norichika Aoki traded to Kansas City Royals for LHP Will Smith

Invader3K
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
booo! that's the best they can get for aoki? why trade aoki and not davis? brewers just gave away a player that hits for average, steals bases, excellent lead off hitter, excellent defensive skills, and has a cannon for an arm. very disappointing trade. i hope smith ends up being a good player, but i can't help but feel like melvin dropped the ball here.

you clearly didnt read any of the 6 pages before posting, did you? I feel like there were some really good reasons posted here

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

brewers just gave away a player that hits for average

But he's only a slightly above average offensive player.

steals bases

Also gets caught stealing a lot.

excellent lead off hitter

Any player with a .350 OBP is a good leadoff hitter.

excellent defensive skills

Slightly above average defensive skills

has a cannon for an arm.

Accurate sure. Cannon? Not even close.

Geez, the way you described him you make him sound like a 5 tool player. No wonder why you're disappointed.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/new-york-notes-granderson-aoki-choo.html

if melvin had the choice of ike davis and will smith, i think he chose wisely. of course we will never know if that was a legit trade offer or what else was offered, but I like the trade more knowing that the brewers had their eye on him for some time.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/new-york-notes-granderson-aoki-choo.html

if melvin had the choice of ike davis and will smith, i think he chose wisely. of course we will never know if that was a legit trade offer or what else was offered, but I like the trade more knowing that the brewers had their eye on him for some time.

[sarcasm]Melvin didn't trade Aoki for Ike Davis because we're already trading Braun for Ike Davis[/sarcasm]

I'm not worried at all about the leadoff spot. Hell, toss Weeks there since all he is still okay at is getting on base. If he can bat .240/.250 he should carry a solid OBP.

We also have Gindl to platoon in case Davis struggles early. Gindl also did very well as a PH, at least my memory thinks so. Not sure about the stats.

As for Will Smith, I see him as an RP, which is a need. Solid trade overall.

If (and it's a fairly large "if" at this point) he can live up to some of the more optimistic early projections, Logan Schafer might be a respectable leadoff hitter IF Davis falters badly enough and/or something else happens that puts Schafer into the regular lineup for an extended period.

(Like I said, it's a fairly large "IF" given how things went last year in his extended time in a sometimes rather limited role. It's kinda like my point in another thread that I'd be kind of excited if Ramirez ended up at first and, given the promise he's shown through a couple of his healthy full seasons in the minors, Taylor Green's play through ST earned him a spot as the everyday 3B -- not a bad thing to hope for, necessarily, assuming he lives up to his earlier promise, but ultimately still a very large IF.)

I'm not worried about the leadoff. I think Segura can carry a .340OB. Definitely a plus base stealer for leadoff hitter.

I like that the team went Smith over the rumored Mets for Ike Davis idea.

Smith went 7IP in 5 of his starts in 2012. Pitched in the 7th in another and managed through 6IP in 3 starts. That's 9 starts 6ip or better out of 16.

I think that 1 a move to the NL may help but 2 this really strengthens the #5 rotation picture. Thornburg/Smith. The other being a long reliever.

There's clearly a use for Smith on this team. There's a use for Aoki but the same can be said on Schafer,Gindl and Davis after Braun/Gomez. It's the "finally a move of strength to an area of need" move we know most have asked for.

Honestly, looking at the Bullpen for 2014, you have to feel quite reassured it can be of strength for 2014 and beyond and not feel it's a patchwork year to year deal like it has been recently.

Honestly, looking at the Bullpen for 2014, you have to feel quite reassured it can be of strength for 2014 and beyond and not feel it's a patchwork year to year deal like it has been recently.

I certainly feel the opposite about the bullpen. There isn't one player currently likely to be in it with any kind of moderate to lengthy history of success aside from maybe Gorzelanny. Imo it could wind up being a strength just as easily as it could wind up being really bad.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I certainly feel the opposite about the bullpen. There isn't one player currently likely to be in it with any kind of moderate to lengthy history of success aside from maybe Gorzelanny. Imo it could wind up being a strength just as easily as it could wind up being really bad.

It starts with Henderson, Figaro, Kintzler, Hand, now Smith, Blazek add Thornburg or Hellweg. And you have Wooten/Olmstead.

Sure they aren't very experienced, but that's where the beauty in it is, is that they are all younger, cheap BP guys who when any of them succeed, are on the roster for at least 3more years if not 4.

Based on experience I figure Henderson is closer 1/Blazek closer 2(role in StL system)

Figaro is setup with now Smith backup

Smith is 7th inning with Kintzler as well.

Hand/Wooten/Blazek as fillers. Gorzo/Thornburg/Hellweg as long relief.

Figaro as a Starter: 25IP 19ER 6.84ERA

as a RP: 49IP 15ER 2.75ERA

Hand as starter: 36.2IP 17ER 4.23ERA

as a RP: 35.2IP 11ER 2.81ERA

Obviously this is about Smith who was very successful so with Henderson that is 4 solid RP beside Gorzo. Kinztler/Blazek/Wooten/Olmstead are the wildcards here to hope perform well.

While true, I'm glad we appear to be throwing cheap guys against the wall to see who sticks than sticking millions of dollars into the bullpen for "proven" guys. We have no shortage of guys to turn to if some of the guys we have fail.

brewers just gave away a player that hits for average

But he's only a slightly above average offensive player.

steals bases

Also gets caught stealing a lot.

excellent lead off hitter

Any player with a .350 OBP is a good leadoff hitter.

excellent defensive skills

Slightly above average defensive skills

has a cannon for an arm.

Accurate sure. Cannon? Not even close.

Geez, the way you described him you make him sound like a 5 tool player. No wonder why you're disappointed.

I don't think he's a 5 tool player. I think he's a really good player that people do not give enough respect to. I've seen Aoki make excellent throws from deep in right field. The guy has a cannon. I think he's good at anticipating the trajectory of the ball in the air and he takes good routes to the ball. He's no Carlos Gomez, but he's very good defensively. It's not that easy to find a good leadoff hitter. I hope the Brewers know what they're doing. I feel like they just got rid of a very valuable piece. I understand trading a good player to help out the farm system. If they intent on trading him, then why not acquire a SP prospect?

you clearly didnt read any of the 6 pages before posting, did you? I feel like there were some really good reasons posted here

I did. I don't have anything against Smith. I'm happy that they added a young player to the bullpen. I just wish they had held out for a better deal. I think Aoki is a little more valuable than the Brewers fan base thinks. It is what it is.

His control has improved over the past 3 years which does tend to lead to more K%, he is also throwing more sliders. I think Smith is most likely a viable starter, he pitched well at AAA in that role last year and while he only has 2 plus pitches he does have 4 total. He probably could be a middle of the rotation guy if his control gains are for real and if he ever develops his change up he could actually be better.

Smith made 10 starts with the Storm Chasers last season, and he had excellent results. In 59.1 innings, he struck out 65 batters, walked just 18, and had an ERA of 3.19

http://kingsofkauffman.com/2013/11/19/will-smiths-successful-season/

That's an excellent read for those who may have bypassed it yesterday.

First-hand for Doug Melvin and the organization vs. Nashville in 2013:

Link Report April 22nd post --

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Left-hander Will Smith turned in a dominant start and the Omaha offense erupted for a nine-run inning during the Storm Chasers' 12-3 victory over the Nashville Sounds on Monday evening at Greer Stadium.

Smith (2-1) struck out eight batters while holding the Sounds to one run on five hits over six innings of action to earn the victory.

Nashville Bottom of the 1st

Scooter Gennett singles on a line drive to left fielder David Lough.

Jeff Bianchi grounds into a double play, third baseman Brandon Wood to second baseman Johnny Giavotella to first baseman Xavier Nady. Scooter Gennett out at 2nd.

Hunter Morris singles on a fly ball to left fielder David Lough.

Sean Halton flies out to center fielder Paulo Orlando.

Nashville Bottom of the 2nd

Stephen Parker called out on strikes.

Cole Garner strikes out on a foul tip.

Caleb Gindl singles on a line drive to left fielder David Lough.

Dayton Buller grounds into a force out, third baseman Brandon Wood to second baseman Johnny Giavotella. Caleb Gindl out at 2nd.

Nashville Bottom of the 3rd

Blake Davis grounds out to first baseman Xavier Nady.

Scooter Gennett pops out to second baseman Johnny Giavotella.

Jeff Bianchi strikes out swinging.

Nashville Bottom of the 4th

Hunter Morris strikes out swinging.

Sean Halton pops out to first baseman Xavier Nady in foul territory.

Stephen Parker doubles (2) on a line drive to right fielder Anthony Seratelli.

Cole Garner pops out to first baseman Xavier Nady in foul territory.

Nashville Bottom of the 5th

Caleb Gindl grounds out, second baseman Johnny Giavotella to first baseman Xavier Nady.

Dayton Buller strikes out swinging.

Blake Davis strikes out swinging.

Nashville Bottom of the 6th

Scooter Gennett strikes out swinging.

Jeff Bianchi homers (1) on a line drive to left field.

Hunter Morris strikes out swinging, catcher Adam Moore to first baseman Xavier Nady.

Sean Halton flies out to right fielder Anthony Seratelli.

Link Report July 27th post --

Blake Lalli hit a two-out two-run game-tying 9th inning HR off Smith, who otherwise was fantastic over three innings (five K's, zero BB's)

Nashville Top of the 8th

Pitching Change: Will Smith replaces Everett Teaford.

Josh Prince singles on a fly ball to right fielder Anthony Seratelli.

Robinzon Diaz grounds into a double play, third baseman Irving Falu to second baseman Christian Colon to first baseman Ben Broussard. Josh Prince out at 2nd.

Nashville Top of the 9th

Sean Halton called out on strikes.

Hunter Morris singles on a fly ball to left fielder Paulo Orlando.

Eugenio Velez pops out to second baseman Christian Colon.

Blake Lalli homers (8) on a fly ball to right field. Hunter Morris scores. (audio from Jeff Hem)

Defensive Substitution: Quintin Berry replaces right fielder Anthony Seratelli, batting 3rd, playing left field.

Defensive switch from left field to right field for Paulo Orlando.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch-hitter Stephen Parker replaces Hainley Statia.

Stephen Parker strikes out swinging.

Nashville Top of the 10th

Blake Davis singles on a fly ball to right fielder Paulo Orlando.

Josh Prince strikes out swinging.

Robinzon Diaz grounds into a force out, third baseman Irving Falu to second baseman Christian Colon. Blake Davis out at 2nd.

I like Aoki better than a lot of people on this board. I think he is very underated. That being said Doug Melvin did exactly what aa small market team is suppose to do. He traded a player on the wrong side of 30 who could leave via free agency for a young cheap player with upside while filling in the gap (Aoki) from within the system who is also young and cheap. Time will tell but I give Melvin kudos on this one.

Correct me if I am wrong, Do the Brewers have left handed starter or one that is close? If not I think Smith will get a pretty decent look at starting,, but I do agree he is bettet suited for the bullpen.

This has been mentioned a couple of times by different posters so I just wanted to point out 1 more time that Smith does not have a big arm. I already posted his pitch f/x numbers and scouting report which pretty much line up exactly with each other in another post.

Every pitcher throws harder out of the pen in 1 inning appearances than they do as a starting pitcher.

He's decent MLB value for Aoki, but let's not overstate what he has the potential to be.

As for those asking if any poster would give up a top prospect for Aoki? That's not the really the issue, no one was thinking the Brewers could get a top 50 prospect for 1 year of Aoki, he's nothing special. The point is why do the Brewers need more arms which profile as back of the rotation starters? We'll have a AAA rotation loaded with those guys for the most part. I'd go all the way down to the DSL if I had to find a guy who I thought had some upside but all that highly rated yet. Getting a prospect with upside is not the same as getting a "top prospect"... those 2 ideas can and often merge, but in this case they don't. An upside guy from the Brewers system would be a guy like Tyler Cravy who has a big arm but has always had a problem with the strike zone but had nice year as reliever this season. He's not on any prospect radars anymore, nor is he an Archie Bradley. He's just a guy with some intrigue that might turn into a steal.

This deal is fine if Smith a good reliever, 5 years of a cheap bullpen guy for 1 year of an aging 4th OF, that's decent value.

TC07, DSL, seriously? I have a hard time fathoming trading for an "under-the-radar" equivalent of high-A Tyler Cravy (who is just three days younger than Smith, by the way, and could simply be plucked in Rule 5). Trading isn't solely about outsmarting someone.

I thought you'd be doing cartwheels over this deal (maybe not cartwheels, but jumping jacks, anyway), and you know I respect the heck out of you, but I'm starting to wonder if Doug Melvin could ever truly please you.

This is all about depth and flexibility in the entire pitching staff. With so many guys with options available they can change out guys that are struggling.

It's likely Smith will start and relieve. Same goes for Thornburg. If either or both fail, they do have numbers behind them, Nelson, Hellweg, Burgos, Fiers, Jungmann and one of whom could emerge or re-emerge and help at some point. They are better covered too if Gallardo, Lohse or Estrada have some DL time.

While everyone points to Davis as being the guy who'll pick up the offensive slack, let's not forget Gindl who I think looked very good last year too even if the numbers weren't as impressive.

Aoki was about average for a MLB corner outfielder. If you look at it as trading one of our starters like Fiers for an average corner outfielder this is a good trade for the team receiving the pitcher.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived