Brewer Fanatic

Norichika Aoki traded to Kansas City Royals for LHP Will Smith

Invader3K
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I suggested in the trade forum on 09/27 targeting some of KC's excess bullpen arms as a possible return for Aoki, and it looks like that is what the market ended up being after all.

Kudos. Smith is a young power lefty who's had some success in the big leagues. Starter or reliever it's a good return. They needed room for Davis, along with Gindl in the OF.

As with all trades time will tell. But reality tells us, there is no way we were going to sign Aoki to an extension and do we really think we are going to win the pennant in 2014? Probably not. So I am good with the roll of the die on this kid. Hopefully he can find a groove and be successful.

Everyone needs to keep in mind too that Aoki is under control only through 2014.

right, he is a free agent after the season, he doesnt have arbitration, so for 1 year of Aoki the Brewers got 5 years of a LH SP/RP.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Everyone needs to keep in mind too that Aoki is under control only through 2014.

No, Aoki would have hit arbitration in 2015. He was under team control until 2018. At least according to:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/aokino01.shtml#contracts

no. that is not correct.

http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/2013/07/01/new-information-on-aoki-contract/

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

No, Aoki would have hit arbitration in 2015. He was under team control until 2018. At least according to:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/aokino01.shtml#contracts

The club clarified during last season that Aoki could not be tendered arbitration. He is scheduled to be a free agent after 2014.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/aoki-can-become-free-agent-after-2014.html

Ahh! Very misleading!

"But that is not the case, according to Aoki’s agent, Nez Balelo of CAA Sports, and Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash, who double-checked the language in the contract on Monday. It includes language stipulating Aoki will be an untethered free agent at the end of his current deal, whether or not the Brewers exercise their option."

This makes me feel a little better. :)

Seems like a decent deal to me. Judging by his K rate, I'm assuming he's a hard thrower.

I guess my only concerns would be:

A) As mentioned - who leads off now and

B) I'm concerned that Khris Davis is being overrated. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Seems like a decent deal to me. Judging by his K rate, I'm assuming he's a hard thrower.

B) I'm concerned that Khris Davis is being overrated. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

im with you on both of those. I also hope moving into Miller Park from KC doesnt cause his HR rate to increase.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

That was key, they likely would have kept Aoki if they controlled him for 4 more years, but they don't. They have younger options available at the OF spots. Aoki has already past his prime, was extremely unlikely to get an extension and they felt they could add a quality, young LHP to the roster.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I would have preferred a higher upside prospect for Aoki. But we seem to be locked into a player who can help now. That mindset limits the player we got for Aoki.

As Aoki's value - as people have pointed out, he is 32, a free agent after the season, has limited power, and needs to play corner OF (unless you want a bad CF). It limits the teams interested. With his limited power, some clubs probably see him more as a 4th OF. If he could play a good CF, it might be different, but his destinations were limited.

While it's underwhelming what we got for Aoki, I don't think it's that unexpected. Even if he is only a decent reliever - 4-5 years of him is probably worth one year of Nori.

I guess the big thing is that the club thinks he can start. And being a lefty, they see that as a need.

Can he actually be a decent starter? We'll see. If he can, it's a deal for us. But even if he's just a decent reliever, it's probably an okay deal in the long run. Just not real sexy.

Not too concerned with B because Gindl is a decent option if Davis doesn't pan out.

I would have preferred a higher upside prospect for Aoki. But we seem to be locked into a player who can help now.

This.

From BA after 2011 when he was the Royals #22 prospect:

Smith's two-seam fastball sits at 88-90 mph, a tick up from what he showed in 2010. He tweaked his two-seam grip midway through last season, adding velocity while not losing any of movement. His four-seamer operates at 91-92 mph and touches 94. His best secondary pitches are his big-breaking curveball and a changeup that's not quite as consistent. He added a slider midway through 2011 to give him a better chance against righthanders. Smith lacks a true strikeout pitch and he lands on a stiff front leg, which affects his control at times. His crossfire delivery helps create some deception, however, and he's equally successful against lefties and righties. Smith projects as a back-of-the-rotation starter if he continues to develop, and he should be at least a long reliever in the big leagues.

Unless the Royals found some mechanical flaw which accounted for his average FB velocity jumping up 92 mph last year I'm going to assume without watching that he just benefited from the typical switch to the bullpen where every pitcher's stuff can play up.

He's got no standout tool, he should not be the type of player Milwaukee is looking to acquire for the rotation, he's average at best as starter, which means he's likely far below average.

I don't have a problem with him as a BP guy.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Well, a little news brings me back. I should stay more in touch.

I get the trade, it makes sense all things considered.

That said, I really liked Aoki being on the team. His at bats were quality, and he was a reliable RF. Not too mention, he was a good team guy.

So thanks to Nori, good luck!

Archived