Brewer Fanatic

Norichika Aoki traded to Kansas City Royals for LHP Will Smith

Invader3K

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He looks like he could be a starter, but seems to profile more as a reliever.

I'm not unhappy with the trade. The writing was on the wall that the Brewers were going to deal an outfielder, and Aoki made the most sense with the rise of Khris Davis.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

http://www.foxsportskansascity.com/mlb/kansas-city-royals/story/Royals-shouldnt-mess-with-success----kee?blockID=938231

Looks like he was pretty much a stud as a reliever. Middling results as a starter.

He could be the new Mike Gonzalez, only younger, cheaper and better. We needed another lefty in the pen. Thought we might have gotten a little more for Aoki, but there's upside here.

We'll see if the Brewers plan to keep him in the pen, or put him back as a starter.

I gotta think he's a SP. Look at our options for the rotation:

Gallardo

Lohse

Estrada

Peralta

Thornburg

Smith

Hellweg

Fiers? (if he got back into his 2012 form)

Any chance they're thinking of dealing a SP for a 1B? Or are we assuming Hart will be back?

I'm underwhelmed as well. I think we could've done better.

I second (or third) this. Although I was FOR trading Aoki, I would have rather waited to see if we could have had something better at the deadline. How many 4/5-types do we need battling it out for mediocrity.

I second (or third) this. Although I was FOR trading Aoki, I would have rather waited to see if we could have had something better at the deadline. How many 4/5-types do we need battling it out for mediocrity.

i think you are overestimating the trade market for a 32 year old outfielder who will be a free agent in 2015. I'm sure Doug tried to get more and realized that this was the best he was going to get.

While it's a small sample size (only 30 innings or so) but a LHP out of the pen with a 1.78 ERA, almost 1k/inning and a lefty BAA of .140 is nothing to sneeze at IMO.

Is this the best we can do for Aoki, I have no idea, but if he produces anywhere close to that, even as a RP, that would certainly be a valuable asset to have. I just hope if they put him in the bullpen, they don't limit him to just lefties. He's only 24 and could also develop further.

i think you are overestimating the trade market for a 32 year old outfielder who will be a free agent in 2015. I'm sure Doug tried to get more and realized that this was the best he was going to get.

Agreed. I think thats a pretty fair assumption to make, i mean, its not like any trades thus far have been crazy

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I gotta think he's a SP. Look at our options for the rotation:

Gallardo

Lohse

Estrada

Peralta

Thornburg

Smith

Hellweg

Fiers? (if he got back into his 2012 form)

Any chance they're thinking of dealing a SP for a 1B? Or are we assuming Hart will be back?

Maybe they are going to change him to a side-winding lefty reliever since they keep trying to produce one...

I love this deal. What's not to like? He was almost exclusively a starter in the minors, so he certainly could be a starter at some point. Meanwhile, he's a heck of a good reliever and he fills a need in that area. He's not really a loogy as he can go multiple innings, but he's been devasting on lefties. They hit just .157 off him last year. Plus, he's just 24.

Thanks Nori for two excellent years! Good luck with KC.

He had a great 2013 as a reliever. If they want him to be a starter than he is probably a 4/5 at best. Less than a 1.00 WHIP and a 11.6 K/9 ratio would look really nice in our bullpen. Plus he only 23 and we have him for a good long while.

I thought we would get more for Aoki given his favorable contract. But I suppose he is on the wrong side of 30 and has below average power for a corner outfielder.

If Smith turns into a big contributor in the bullpen it is probably a good trade. I would just assume leave him in the bullpen; Thornburg and Nelson appear to be better options for the rotation

I love this deal. What's not to like? He was almost exclusively a starter in the minors, so he certainly could be a starter at some point. There's been a few lefties that have done that in recent years. Meanwhile, he's a heck of a good reliever and he fills a need in that area. He's not really a loogy as he can go multiple innings, but he's been devasting on lefties. They hit just .157 off him last year. Plus, he's just 24. Had 143 K's over 122 combined innings last year.

Thanks Nori for two excellent years! Good luck with KC. I'm not sure what those of you who are disappointed were expecting, but Smith is a power lefty arm that can start or relieve, and power lefty arms aren't exactly in abundance in this system. He came up at 22 in 2012 and started in the big leagues. I'd think he has a ceiling higher than a 4 or a 5.

Archived