Brewer Fanatic

David Price

Trade idea -

Gallardo + Hellweg + Mitch Hanigar + Taylor for David Price.

Gallardo is signed for 2 more years and Price is controlled for only 1 more year. TB wants prospects so we can include prospects. TB doesn't want to pay prices salary for next year which should be over 12-15 million in Arbitration. TB could easily re-sign Gallardo for his current salary or trade him. they don't really down grade their rotation significantly, and get a good pitching prospect with 2 good positional prospects to boot. It's a win win.

The Brewers need an ace to go along with Peralta and Lohse. Doug Melvin said after the Braun extension that if the right player came along he would consider a mega deal for him. Prices agent isn't Boras, so a deal could be worked out. Likely 7/160. The Brewer are getting 26 million in additional revenue per the new MLB TV deal, and with their new tv deal. They have the money.

Ramirez, Weeks and Lohse are gone after 2015 and that is a savings of 37 million right there. With the salary increases after 2015, which add up to 14 million, so that leaves 23 million. By replacing Gallardo's 11 million with a Price 22-25 million you can subtract 14 million from the 23 million and your left with 9 million then add the extra 26 million in revenue and you get about 35 million to work with after Price. By this time we will have a strong core of Price, Peralta, Estrada, Nelson, Thornburg, Gomez, Segura, and Braun, which in my own opinion is better than our last core of players we built around.

Should Ramirez and Lohse put up another good year in 2014 we can trade them both to re-stock the farm or should we be out of it by mid-season we can trade them then.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

That is a move in the wrong direction. Gut our MiLB system even further. No thanks.

It's going to happen regardless (gutting the system). We all know DM will trade for a SP.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

This is a move to put you over the top not one to help you compete, which is where the Brewers are now.

Beside, if TB is going to trade one of the best pitchers in baseball they'll want elite prospects in return. Hellweg has shown no ability at all to throw strikes. Haniger struggled big time in A ball and Taylor, while he had a nice year, is not an elite prospect. No way does TB do this deal. Milwaukee (thankfully) does not have what it takes to get Price.

While I agree with the other posters in that we can be 100% certain Price is not coming to Milwaukee, a 3-team trade is definitely more plausible.

The Dbacks are apparently in on Price and they have the ace and 3B prospects the Brewers should covet. The Rays may have interest in the underpaid Gomez and perhaps Morris among others. There are pieces that work, but it's far more likely the Brewers/Dbacks or Rays/Dbacks hook up for a 2 team trade than all 3 together.

The Rays laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh then grab some kleenex because the raucous laughter has made them burst into tears and then they start laughing again.

It's not about laughing, because we are talking 2 years of Gallardo compared to 1 year of price at 16 million. It's a matter if the Rays want more top prospects or if they view Gallardo as a affordable long term option, which Price isn't.

It's two years of Gallardo vs two years of Price and if the Rays can't afford the $16 million for Price, what makes you think they can afford the $11.25 million and possible $13 million for a completely inferior Gallardo?

It's two years of Gallardo vs two years of Price and if the Rays can't afford the $16 million for Price, what makes you think they can afford the $11.25 million and possible $13 million for a completely inferior Gallardo?

Not only that, none of Hellweg/Mitch Hanigar/Taylor are even close to being a prized prospect. If or when the Rays trade Price, that trade is going to involve some premium prospects coming back their way, not three guys like that.

Friedman is arguably the best GM in baseball and won't trade a still pretty young true ace who is two years from free agency, without a package involving top shelf talent returning to Tampa.

As been said, the Brewers don't have the pieces to acquire Price. Tampa Bay has Payroll restrictions. And honestly with Longoria's long term deal as well as now having Myers who you know will have a Longoria type deal before we extend Segura. They just can't afford Price next season. They can afford him this year but again their GM is the best small-mid market GM in Baseball. He's made Price available, it's known and go ahead and make your offers. He isn't waiting til next season when Price will be a 17mil or more pitcher with just his final year of team control. He's giving a team 2 years of Price while he's healthy. There's going to be 2 A type Prospects coming over in trade for Price. Now to me if they are A type prospects I wouldn't let them go. But there's desperation in some teams to make it to the WS like the Dodgers and all their spending super team. I can see Joc Pederson and Julio Urias being their offer. And maybe some ML player with money to Tampa. Or another prospect done the line. Urias' upside is just what Tampa wants in these deals.

As been said, the Brewers don't have the pieces to acquire Price. Tampa Bay has Payroll restrictions. And honestly with Longoria's long term deal as well as now having Myers who you know will have a Longoria type deal before we extend Segura. They just can't afford Price next season. They can afford him this year but again their GM is the best small-mid market GM in Baseball. He's made Price available, it's known and go ahead and make your offers. He isn't waiting til next season when Price will be a 17mil or more pitcher with just his final year of team control. He's giving a team 2 years of Price while he's healthy. There's going to be 2 A type Prospects coming over in trade for Price. Now to me if they are A type prospects I wouldn't let them go. But there's desperation in some teams to make it to the WS like the Dodgers and all their spending super team. I can see Joc Pederson and Julio Urias being their offer. And maybe some ML player with money to Tampa. Or another prospect done the line. Urias' upside is just what Tampa wants in these deals.

He's giving a team 1 year of price at 16 million for 2014, then he will be a FA in 2015. There's a huge difference. If you say TB can afford Prices 2013 salary, then why would they want to risk a significant drop in the front of their rotation when they can have Gallardo for 10 million a year for 2 years, and likely re-sign him for the same price per year on top of it? It's still a drop in production, but it's manageable. We could always sweeten the deal with Thornburg, Taylor and some other prospects. The thing is if we include Gallardo in this deal we don't have to give up nearly as much in terms of prospects. Hardly any at all. The question for TB is how relevant do they want to be in the short term.

He's giving a team 1 year of price at 16 million for 2014, then he will be a FA in 2015. .

Price won't be a FA until after the 2015 season.

He will have 5 years of service time after 2014. Am I missing something?

Well the obvious answer there is he needs 6 full years to qualify for FA, as it has always been in the modern era. Teams get 3 cheap full seasons and 3 full seasons of arbitration. Which is why many teams wait until July to bring up prospects as they don't have to pay the player the extra year of arbitration (super 2) and get to retain the player's rights another full season vs calling them up in April.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

He's giving a team 1 year of price at 16 million for 2014, then he will be a FA in 2015. .

Price will be a free agent in 2016

He's Super Two. He'll have 4 arbitration years instead of the normal 3.

We could always sweeten the deal with Thornburg, Taylor and some other prospects. The thing is if we include Gallardo in this deal we don't have to give up nearly as much in terms of prospects. Hardly any at all. The question for TB is how relevant do they want to be in the short term.

Unfortunately this isn't true. If the Brewers and the Rays were the only two teams competing in MLB, then maybe they would have a chance at landing Price. But since their are 28 other teams, the value of Gallardo + 3 of the Brewers best prospects is a long way from matching offers other teams are going to give the Rays. I don't think Gallardo offers much value at all to the Rays and a large quantity of Brewers prospects is not going to sway them to trade a bonafide front of the rotation starter. When Price is traded, the return to the Rays is going to be young prospects that have a ceiling to become elite impact talents and are low to moderate risk of becoming very good MLB players. They landed Wil Myers in the James Shields trade, they are not going to accept a #3 caliber pitcher and (significantly) lesser prospects for David Price. When the trade was executed Wil Myers was an already polished and proven elite prospect. I am high on Taylor and certainly hope he will turn into a solid prospect down the road. But for now neither Taylor nor any other prospect in the Brewers organization offers a combination of possessing elite star caliber abilities along with an above average probability of reaching their potential.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

He's giving a team 1 year of price at 16 million for 2014, then he will be a FA in 2015. There's a huge difference. If you say TB can afford Prices 2013 salary, then why would they want to risk a significant drop in the front of their rotation when they can have Gallardo for 10 million a year for 2 years, and likely re-sign him for the same price per year on top of it? It's still a drop in production, but it's manageable. We could always sweeten the deal with Thornburg, Taylor and some other prospects. The thing is if we include Gallardo in this deal we don't have to give up nearly as much in terms of prospects. Hardly any at all. The question for TB is how relevant do they want to be in the short term.

I think it's been explained but Price is a Super 2 so while this is his 3rd go in Arb he has 4 before Free Agency. I say they can afford him this season because their core remains cheap this year. Longoria/Zobrist jump in salary next season and a number of core guys hit Arb for the 1st time. Plus you have to imagine Price goes for 20ish mil in arb next season...team contol..lol for a Super 2? not much a bargain. When you factor that in Tampa is approaching Milwaukee Payroll 80mil range. For a club whose fan base doesn't give them 20k avg attendence for a 90win club.

Taking in Gallardo(let's not forget his #4 starter value) with the money attached doesn't improve their payroll situation much. Nor does he fit in a crowded SP of Moore, Cobb, Odorizzi, Colome,Archer, Romero,Hellickson. Which also negates the value of Thornburg sent to them in the deal.

From what I see Tampa needs some kind of SS prospect/2b Prospect. A 1b and OF Prospect. 1b prospects aren't really a strong suit right now. SS prospects are out there though and obviously so are OF prospects. If I'm Tampa the youth of Urias makes perfect sense to get for future SP. And Pederson is a ML ready in the waits OF that they can insert today to help their team.

How does Kershaw,Price,Grienke,Ryu Rotation look?

• 3 weeks later...

I read in a Dodgers article about trading for Price and it said that Seager,Urias, Pederson, and Lee wouldn't get it done.

Why? It said the Indians were being asked for Danny Salazar, Carlos Santana, and Francisco Lindor for Price!

I mean again Tampas asking for essentially 3-4WAR ML ready pitcher in Salazar or Walker for Price's 4-6 alone. Then add in AS Santana and top 10 prospect Lindor? If the Brewers were to deal for Price that equates to Segura, Lucroy, and Peralta...

Look Price is good..great even but tell me how he helps a team when you remove 3 solid roster players for 1great roster player?

I'd balk if I were Cleveland alone at Salazar and Lindor! Asking for Santana? Really?

This just shows why I believe we need to draft HS pitching every chance we get. Hitting on 1 will fill 2position players in the future and return a SP anyway.

Damn you Gallardo! Because Skaggs and Davidson would be on our team today had he been his 200/200 3.5ERA self.

This just shows why I believe we need to draft HS pitching every chance we get. Hitting on 1 will fill 2position players in the future and return a SP anyway.

Price was the clear #1 overall pick when Tampa drafted him...out of Vanderbilt, which happens to be a college. If anything it just shows that you need to be terrible enough for long enough at the big league level to draft in the top 5 year in/year out in order to acquire big-time talent - high school or college doesn't matter. That's how the Brewers built this last window of contention (Weeks, Fielder, Braun, Sheets in the top of the 1st rounds, Hardy, Gallardo, Lucroy early in the 2nd round, I think - prospects like Laporta, Lawrie, Jeffress, Jake O. in the 1st or supplemental rounds to use for acquiring quality pitching to get to the playoffs). To regain elite farm system status, the Brewers would likely need to plunge further in the MLB standings to land those early picks again, or hit a few prospect home runs via trade.

Archived