Brewer Fanatic

Jacoby Ellsbury to NYY: 7 yrs./$153M guaranteed, 8 yrs./$169M max

TooLiveBrew

There are really few teams that actually need a CF still so the market for trading Gomez is pretty tiny. Maybe like 4 or 5 teams total and not all of them are in contention mode.

I also wouldn't worry about how our farm system is ranked. Even though they have gotten better over the years they still are clearly awful at ranking prospects. Our stock was up when we had Gamel, Salome, Jeffres, Parra, LaPorta etc coming up and see how well that worked out? Most of the teams with top farm systems will see half of those guys flame out and bring nothing of value, it is just way too subjective and unpredictable to worry about.

One trade will not turn the Brewers from a low 20's farm to a top 5 farm. There's absolutely no way.

Correct. However, a Gomez trade now coupled with a Winter Meetings Gallardo and Lohse deal, followed by a mid-season Ryan Braun trade, assuming he is the old Braun, could arguably have them in the top 10.

Good luck trying to sell a massive tradeoff of big league talent to Attanasio. He'd probably give the OK to signing another fairly pricey veteran player before he'd greenlight trading any of those four guys for prospects, much less multiple of those four.

One trade will not turn the Brewers from a low 20's farm to a top 5 farm. There's absolutely no way.

Correct. However, a Gomez trade now coupled with a Winter Meetings Gallardo and Lohse deal, followed by a mid-season Ryan Braun trade, assuming he is the old Braun, could arguably have them in the top 10.

Good luck trying to sell a massive tradeoff of big league talent to Attanasio. He'd probably give the OK to signing another fairly pricey veteran player before he'd greenlight trading any of those four guys for prospects, much less multiple of those four.

I agree that Attanasio will never allow a fire sale. The point is that the Brewers could reach the top 10 rather quickly if they so desired. And you are also spot on in your assessment that Attanasio will sign another pricey vet this offseason. My bet all along has been Garza at 5 years $75 million.

I agree that Attanasio will never allow a fire sale. The point is that the Brewers could reach the top 10 rather quickly if they so desired. And you are also spot on in your assessment that Attanasio will sign another pricey vet this offseason. My bet all along has been Garza at 5 years $75 million.

Even though i posted what i did earlier, i disagree on two things you said

1. While i certainly believe that Attanasio will almost always prefer to go the route of trying to at least compete for a playoff berth each year and thus bristle at the thought of trading a very productive veteran or two for prospects, i do think there could be an instance where he'd greenlight attempting a rebuild for a year. It would have to be a situation though where when looking at the roster, it would take a massive stretch for him to even think the team could finish with just around 80-82 wins. Then maybe he'd OK trading a say Gomez and/or Loshe caliber players for prospects.

2. I'll be pretty surprised if the team signs a player as expensive as Garza. I expect them to either sign or trade for someone to play first, but nobody that costs big money on a 3-4-5 year deal. Other than signing/trading for a firstbaseman, any other money spent i see being fairly minor. Then again, i'll never say never with Attanasio. By most reports i read, he took the lead in perusing Loshe after Melvin said repeatedly that he didn't want to give up a draft pick for Loshe, but then the pitching was bad in spring training and Attanasio quickly got a deal done with Boras.

I see Gomez surprising yet again next year and that we haven't seen his high yet.

2 indicators

1) after a much improved temperament at the plate -- smarter approach with what he swings with. He logged a career high strikeouts of 146 with only being in 10 more games

If our staff can only get half of the plate discipline improvement we saw last year -- GO go will shine. His MN stats indicate far less strike outs with equivalent games played.

2) Gomez is more likely to see meat balls with braun and possibly hart back in the line up.

Finally I haven't seen a guy so hungry to impress in a long time. That attitude goes a long way. Now if only his son will tell him to quit the shenanigans / fits.

Keep Gomez.

Archived