Brewer Fanatic

Jacoby Ellsbury to NYY: 7 yrs./$153M guaranteed, 8 yrs./$169M max

TooLiveBrew

MLBTR link

WEDNESDAY: Ellsbury is guaranteed $148MM over the first seven years of the contract, and there is a $21MM option for an eighth year that comes with a $5MM buyout, according to Yahoo's Tim Brown (on Twitter).

8:41pm: Ellsbury's deal is worth $153MM over seven years, according to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News (on Twitter). That tops Carl Crawford's deal by $12MM.

7:31pm: The Yankees have agreed to sign Jacoby Ellsbury, according to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News (via Twitter). Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com first reported that the two sides were closing in on a seven-year pact. It is believed the deal will top Carl Crawford's $142MM, seven-year deal with one estimate pegging the deal at about $150MM, according to Heyman.

EDIT: Per Bryan Hoch (covers NYY for MLB.com):

Ellsbury's Yankees deal is seven years and $153 million. There is also an eighth year option that could raise the total value to $169M.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

He's a 5-8WAR type of CF. Definitely better than Granderson. Bourn and Upton got what 15mil per? and I in no way would take those two over Ellsbury. He was a hott commodity sought after by a number of teams. Just think what Gomez would be getting in FA this year if he hadn't extended? Probably close to this deal imo.

bet they'll love paying that contract when he's 36/37

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

i wonder if boston fans hate him now lol. i knew the yankees weren't going to stay quiet for much longer. they had to go out and do something yankeeish. i agree with brewmann04. this is why i don't bother getting excited about free agency. the brewers will never have a shot at signing someone important.

So how's that whole staying under the luxury tax thing working out?

Yes, the Yankees have a virtually unlimited budget but at some point the perfect storm of bad contracts will happen and they will be stuck. When Teixeira, Sabathia, ARod, McCann, and Ellsbury all reach the point in which they are old and crappy (or crappier) they are going to have a mess on their hands.

Yes, the Yankees have a virtually unlimited budget but at some point the perfect storm of bad contracts will happen and they will be stuck. When Teixeira, Sabathia, ARod, McCann, and Ellsbury all reach the point in which they are old and crappy (or crappier) they are going to have a mess on their hands.

Yeah, but if they secure one or two more World Series championships in the mean time, they probably won't care too much. "Pennants fly forever", as they say.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Why? When the player gets bad the Yankees can just ship the player and 80% of the contract costs to the KC Royals and add a new toy. They would still not be in the hole financially. The only problem for them is if 2-3 of the players get real bad the same year - then they might not make the playoffs (that year).

So, if Gomez is really a 7-year / $153MM ($21.86MM/year) player who is only owed 3 years / $24MM ($8MM/year), how much could the Brewers get in trade?

After imagining that, ask yourself, are the Brewers' World Series odds so good that they should hold on to Gomez, or would they be better off trading him for a king's ransom?

They could basically transform themselves from a below-average MLB team with a poor farm system to a below-average MLB team with one of the best farms in the league with one move... is it worth it? Which path would likely lead to the most wins and playoff appearances over the next decade?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Hard to say for sure what they are going to get out of him. At least it looks like they should get some good defense. If he stays healthy it shouldn't be a horrible contract for at least a few years. Seems like a lot of money for a guy who is so up and down season to season and has a lot of his value in defense.

They could basically transform themselves from a below-average MLB team with a poor farm system to a below-average MLB team with one of the best farms in the league with one move... is it worth it? Which path would likely lead to the most wins and playoff appearances over the next decade?

I will start by saying I don't think Gomez is going to be as good going forward as he was this year. If somebody thinks he is though, I would trade him without a second thought.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

They could basically transform themselves from a below-average MLB team with a poor farm system to a below-average MLB team with one of the best farms in the league with one move...

One move isn't going to do it. They would get 1 top prospect at most and maybe 2 or 3 fringy-prospect guys. That would take the farm system from poor to about mid pack. One trade is rarely franchise altering and especially not with a player like Gomez. Defense is definitely being more highly regarded in terms of player value but not to the level we would want it to be for Gomez and especially not for a guy who's had one good offensive season in his career.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So, if Gomez is really a 7-year / $153MM ($21.86MM/year) player who is only owed 3 years / $24MM ($8MM/year), how much could the Brewers get in trade?

After imagining that, ask yourself, are the Brewers' World Series odds so good that they should hold on to Gomez, or would they be better off trading him for a king's ransom?

One trade will not turn the Brewers from a low 20's farm to a top 5 farm. There's absolutely no way.

Well to me clearly they should get an A Prospect. I'd also have a B and a C with upside Prospect for a return for Gomez. There's no doubt they should get an expect ML Player in return. Thinking Wil Myers like from the Shields deal. The B prospect would be like Odorizzi. But the C Prospect should actually be better than Montgomery as Gomez for 1 has another year on his deal and 2 is being paid less.

I really don't think trading Gomez results in losing much overall on the Major League team. My guess is they add a Player like Segura was who immediately helps the team better than the individual who we had pegged for that spot. But the B Prospect is a bonus to add to our system.

And let's be honest here, Gomez should net an A and 2 B prospects since you just have to project in your trade discussions that he's going to net a top 30pick when he becomes a FA.

I wanted Gomez traded away last season, it hasn't changed but his value is more today than it was last season. Sell High for Once!

I honestly think a Ryan Braun type core player could be in return. Like Wil Myers guys like Noah Syndergaard. Taijaun Walker. Even let's say Addison Russell

Colorado traded away Dexter Fowler. There's a Prospect Package from them that could work.

San Diego has a CF need and a ton of Pitching Prospects. Take Max Fried and Jedd Gyorko from them with Robbie Erlin.

There's just so many good young prospects in other team's minors that can use Gomez! Yet there's not a peep of a GM asking if Gomez was available.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
One trade will not turn the Brewers from a low 20's farm to a top 5 farm. There's absolutely no way.

Correct. However, a Gomez trade now coupled with a Winter Meetings Gallardo and Lohse deal, followed by a mid-season Ryan Braun trade, assuming he is the old Braun, could arguably have them in the top 10.

I don't think anyone would argue that. You're talking about trading 4 guys though........not one.

Also, I just don't see it happening. There's nothing in Doug Melvin's tenure that has happened that leads me to believe he'll go into full-scale sell mode. He's getting near the end of his rope, and going into a full-blown rebuild isn't going to happen under his watch, and he knows it.

Well to me clearly they should get an A Prospect. I'd also have a B and a C with upside Prospect for a return for Gomez. There's no doubt they should get an expect ML Player in return. Thinking Wil Myers like from the Shields deal. The B prospect would be like Odorizzi. But the C Prospect should actually be better than Montgomery as Gomez for 1 has another year on his deal and 2 is being paid less.

I really don't think trading Gomez results in losing much overall on the Major League team. My guess is they add a Player like Segura was who immediately helps the team better than the individual who we had pegged for that spot. But the B Prospect is a bonus to add to our system.

And let's be honest here, Gomez should net an A and 2 B prospects since you just have to project in your trade discussions that he's going to net a top 30pick when he becomes a FA.

I wanted Gomez traded away last season, it hasn't changed but his value is more today than it was last season. Sell High for Once!

There's just so many good young prospects in other team's minors that can use Gomez! Yet there's not a peep of a GM asking if Gomez was available.

Bradley, Davidson, and Pollack (platoon mate for Schafer) from the Dbacks would be pretty great.

Archived