Brewer Fanatic

Jarrod Saltalamacchia to MIA: 3 yrs./$21M

TooLiveBrew

MLBTR link

6:52pm: Saltalamacchia will get $6MM in 2014, $7MM in '15, and $8MM in '16, according to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald (on Twitter).

5:49pm: The Marlins have agreed to a three-year, $21MM contract with catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, according to Juan C. Rodriguez of the Sun Sentinel (on Twitter).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Marlins are spending money?

Semi-related (from the article):

As Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press (Twitter link) pointed out earlier today, the Marlins might have had a leg up on Minnesota in their chase for Salty. Not only do Saltalamacchia and his family reside in Wellington, Fla. (less than 70 miles from Marlins Park), the state has no income tax, meaning the Twins might have had to outspend the Marlins by a significant margin to win out.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Eh, in line with Russel Martin/ and Carlos Ruiz. 7mil a year isn't exactly opening the wallet for Miami when their payroll is what? 35mil next season? So whoop-di-do it moves to 42mil. Still under what I'm sure they get in revenue sharing before any single fan attends a game.

Opening up the sign a bunch of guys to win it all tactic would have been signing Ellsbury and Cano and McCann something like that. And considering their overall team makeup with Stanton,Marishnik,Yelich,Fernandez as well as a young core of SP that at least looks filled with #3s.

They are probably a really good #2 and a good 3b away from likely employing that tactic. Something that Stanton may net in the not to distant future.

I saw that in the article. But it looks like it's back to the post fire sale, let's sign a whole bunch of guys, win a championship, blow it up and start all over again mentality.

I don't think this move is going to lead to the Marlins going crazy on the Free Agent market. The Marlins took a big step backward the past year and a half, but by doing so they were able to acquire some potentially very good cost controlled players like Nate Eovaldi (age 23), Jacob Turner (age 22), Henderson Alvarez (age 23), Justin Nicolino (age 22), and Adeiny Hechivarria (age 24) to go with their other young impact talent like Christian Yelich (age 21) and Jose Fernandez (age 21). Not to mention mega-star Giancarlo Stanton who is just 24 years old. Over the next couple of years they will get additional help from talented prospects such as LHP Andrew Heaney, 3B Colin Moran, and OF Jake Marisnick. Then mix in a few FA veterans like Salty at positions of need (catcher, first base, bullpen, etc.) and they appear to be building toward a very competitive roster in the near future for a fraction of the cost of teams buying up the free agent market.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I saw that in the article. But it looks like it's back to the post fire sale, let's sign a whole bunch of guys, win a championship, blow it up and start all over again mentality.

Which has won them more championships that most other clubs in their short existence. You can't argue with results.

Which has won them more championships that most other clubs in their short existence. You can't argue with results.

I didn't say it was a bad thing. In fact, if it works for them, as it has, good for them.

Archived