Brewer Fanatic

STL non-tenders John Axford

hawing

I for one don't think we've seen the last of an effective John Axford. He's going to get a deal somewhere. I think the Brewers need to add one veteran to the mix, and he's on sale. Another guy in that category that was non-tendered yesterday was Ronald Belisario. He's had a checkered past (VISA issues, suspension for cocaine), and he regressed in 2013. But he was very good in 2012 and giving the up and down history of many relievers, who knows where he'll be in 2014?

Another guy in that category that was non-tendered yesterday was Ronald Belisario. He's had a checkered past (VISA issues, suspension for cocaine), and he regressed in 2013. But he was very good in 2012 and giving the up and down history of many relievers, who knows where he'll be in 2014?

Based on the Peralta signing, my guess would be St. Louis.

I'm always amazed at how many people want to bring back players that were dumped for good reasons...

I liked Ax-Man, but I want his page to remain turned. No more ex-brewers please.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If the Brewers add a veteran to the pen it has to be a lefty, right? Otherwise they might as well go the inexpensive inhouse roster -

Henderson

Kintzler

Gorzy

Hand

Wooten

2 of: Figaro/Thornburg/Blazek//De Le Torre/Fiers/Burgos/Heckathorn/Olmstead

They must feel Olmstead can fix his problems and be ready for the majors because they kept him on the 40 man versus other pitchers.

The Brewers should not sign Axford for the same reason they did not keep Badenhop - the team should not be spending money on relievers at this point. There are enough guys already here to make a competent bullpen. If they find themselves in contention in mid-summer, they can go out and buy a reliever or relievers. Even the Brewers could cobble up a prospect or two from their weak minor league system to go and get some relievers, if necessary.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

the team should not be spending money on relievers at this point

The only caveat I would make on that would be to look for cheap rebound players at positions of weakness on the team. Those player that if they do rebound, can be traded off at mid-season (like KRod last year).

But even so, the trading market for RPs has been rather weak, so that is probably more in focus of SPs or position players.

If a reliever would sign for the minimum or close to it, then absolutely, sign him. Sign two. Throwing darts at names on a dart board, maybe Scott Atchison and Brandon Lyon. Mitchell Boggs on a minor league deal. If they'd do it, why not?

But I doubt Axford will take under seven figures to sign, even on a one year deal.

From MLBTR today:

Agent Dan Horwits received calls from 14 teams regarding client John Axford in the first 36 hours following his non-tender by the Cardinals, he told Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet. As Nicholson-Smith writes, any team to sign Axford would control him through the 2016 season, making him a potentially more appealing target.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I bought an axford jersey when he broke through with the team. I'd like to get more value out of that jersey.

This is justifiable reason for everyone to want him back. The damn jersey was authentic. It's all about me!

I bought an axford jersey when he broke through with the team. I'd like to get more value out of that jersey.

This is justifiable reason for everyone to want him back. The damn jersey was authentic. It's all about me!

Welcome aboard, & awesome first post!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Welcome aboard, & awesome first post!

Hehe thank you! I've been sitting lurking waiting for my approval to join the party.

I live in mn and it's lonely over here in regards to brewers talk so I am happy to be here

If he'd sign for around a million for one year, I'd be OK with it. Otherwise it's best to leave his Brewers legacy in the past.

If under control through 2016, Go for a million a year through then. If, as his time with St. Louis suggests, he is closer to his 2011 form, he could be an asset down the road, or very useful trade bait.

Archived