Brewer Fanatic

Logan Morrison rumor

TURBO
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's the deal w/ Morrison? His power really seems to have dropped off for the last couple seasons.

In 2012, he slugged .478 on the road and .329 at home. Last year it was less pronounced, .400 on the road and .353 at home, but the park appears to be a big factor. It takes a lot to get it out of the new Miami park from straight away RF (392) to CF (422). I'm guessing the Brewers would expect more like 20-25 HR.

I really don't understand giving up cost controlled players like Schafer and especially Gindl for a replacement level guy like Morrison that is going to cost a couple of million.

I guess if they did it, they would hope that he is more than a replacement player.

I really don't understand giving up cost controlled players like Schafer and especially Gindl for a replacement level guy like Morrison that is going to cost a couple of million.

I guess if they did it, they would hope that he is more than a replacement player.

He could be a starter and still be "replacement level." If he indeed has a negative WAR, then he hasn't even been replacement level for a few seasons. I agree with Jerichoholicninja in that the Marlins wouldn't expect much for Morrison. Kind of like us trading Badenhop, they'd be trying to get anything back for the guy rather than either dumping him for nothing or offering him arby.

Really, other than having a recognizable name from a decent season a few years ago, and a habit of getting noticed for his Twitter posts, Schafer doesn't bring much more than a guy like Gamel. However, Attanasio likes guys with names the fans will recognize, so I could see the Brewers giving up a mediocre talent AA guy and paying Schafer $1MM or so to play 1B.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

He takes a good amount of walks, but his batting average is usually to poor to create a good OBP and his power numbers have never been anything special, so i just fail to see the appeal in trading for him, even if the cost isn't steep back to the Marlins because i question if i'd want him for nothing in return.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think Morrison would be a really good gamble for the Brewers. He was a top 20 prospect coming up. He hit okay the first couple of years as a 22-23 year old. But the Marlins moved him to OF, where he has played poorly. Some people felt he let his defensive woes hurt his batting. And playing in the OF may have contributed to some of his injuries (knee, back, among others).

He's also butted heads with Marlins management at times (once after the hitting coach was fired and he slammed the team for it). It wasn't exactly the best situation for him.

That said, he's only 26, so that promise he showed coming up is hard to ignore. A change of scenery might do him wonders.

Also, he's a left handed bat. I think that's one of the key reasons the team isn't so hot to get Hart back (aside from the cost). They need a left handed stick in the lineup that isn't striking out 1/3 of the time or playing awful defense.

If we could get him for a part timer - like Schafer (who I happen to really like), I'd take the gamble. The guy will take his walks, and could potentially be a 20-25 HR guy. The BA will (hopefully) be better with consistent playing time, better health and a more welcoming hitting environment.

I think Morrison would be a really good gamble for the Brewers. He was a top 20 prospect coming up. He hit okay the first couple of years as a 22-23 year old. But the Marlins moved him to OF, where he has played poorly. Some people felt he let his defensive woes hurt his batting. And playing in the OF may have contributed to some of his injuries (knee, back, among others).

He's also butted heads with Marlins management at times (once after the hitting coach was fired and he slammed the team for it). It wasn't exactly the best situation for him.

That said, he's only 26, so that promise he showed coming up is hard to ignore. A change of scenery might do him wonders.

Also, he's a left handed bat. I think that's one of the key reasons the team isn't so hot to get Hart back (aside from the cost). They need a left handed stick in the lineup that isn't striking out 1/3 of the time or playing awful defense.

If we could get him for a part timer - like Schafer (who I happen to really like), I'd take the gamble. The guy will take his walks, and could potentially be a 20-25 HR guy. The BA will (hopefully) be better with consistent playing time, better health and a more welcoming hitting environment.

I think Marlins park has messed up his numbers. Like someone else said, it takes a lot to hit the ball out of the park in Miami. Miller Park is hitter friendly. Morrison may live up to the hype if given a chance in a more friendly environment.

With the Marlins close to signing Garrett Jones, DM better be on the phone for Morrison. I think he's a much better option than Hart, being younger, hitting lefty and hopefully being healthier. Hart is going to cost a lot more than what the Brewers need to spend, I believe.

I would be all for this one depending on what we had to give up. Knowing the Marlins we may be able to snag him on the cheap with some cash thrown in. Not sure if this would influence Hart's decision to sign here or not, but if not at worst it would be a nice platoon at 1B with both able to play outfield if need be. We NEED a LH bat with Aoki gone and I agree the smaller park would, if nothing else, have positive mental effect on Morrison. Go get him DM.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

In the NL last year, the Brewers had the best OPS vs lefthanded pitching. Against righties, we were ranked 9th.

I like Hart, and it would be nice to see him back. But we really need a left handed power bat in the line up. Right now we only have Scooter in the line up who is a lefty (not counting Francisco).

Maybe Morrison isn't the answer - but I think a lefty is really critical.

What's the deal w/ Morrison? His power really seems to have dropped off for the last couple seasons.

I wouldn't be surprised if playing for an organization he hates has played a role too. Change of scenery might do him wonders.

It seems according to the sports guys that the Red soxs and Brewers are most intrested.It seems to be whomever gets LM the loser will make a play on Hart.

Not anymore. The Red Sox re-signed Napoli, which they obviously weren't expecting. He ended up taking more money to stay there. That makes the Brewers as the most serious suitors for both Hart and Morrison. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Morrison is more cost effective, and a possible longer-term option if he pans out. Hart is the more sure thing. You know what you're getting, but also he's only a 1-year solution.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I'm starting to believe Hart is going elsewhere. The last hurdle was supposed to be his getting cleared to play which happened earlier this week. I think the Brewers probably had a price in mind and he's turned it down. Now I could be completely wrong and his signing is announced later today, but I'm starting to think Logan Morrison is the opening day 1B. Hopefully that means the end to the Juan "Fan" Cisco experiment.

Morrison figures to be a 20 HR guy in MP. Maybe it will mean Halton has a role too against lefties and a RH power bench bat.

I'm starting to believe Hart is going elsewhere. The last hurdle was supposed to be his getting cleared to play which happened earlier this week. I think the Brewers probably had a price in mind and he's turned it down. Now I could be completely wrong and his signing is announced later today, but I'm starting to think Logan Morrison is the opening day 1B. Hopefully that means the end to the Juan "Fan" Cisco experiment.

Morrison figures to be a 20 HR guy in MP. Maybe it will mean Halton has a role too against lefties and a RH power bench bat.

From what I read it sounds like the brewers offered a one year deal to hart, but he is seeking a 2-3 year deal. I don't think it matters to him that it's at a discount.

What I don't understand is why he wouldn't take a one year to prove performance and get back on track with a contract that is equal to his value again. I think he is protecting himself from relying on only one year of performance to show his value.

Looks like we will be going into the season once again with a lot of question marks at 1B...

Does Hart truly WANT to be in Milwaukee at a discounted price because he likes it here and feels he owes it to us? Looks like that is false. If we do sign him, and overpay, which appears to be the direction this is going, will his knees hold out or will he be just another expensive bench decoration?

If we trade for Morrison, who do we have to give up, and will his numbers really improve at Miller Park or is he just nothing more than an average player? The only way I want to trade him is if we give up next to nothing. Just because our best prospects are not top 100 guys doesn't mean we should be handing them over for average MLB players. They are still the best we have.

I want nothing to do with Francisco. NOTHING!

It would be really nice if HUNTER Morris just tears it up this spring. The thought of another revolving door at 1B for another season makes me sick to my stomach.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I don't think that Hart is going to get much more than Morneau did. That's not really that much money, so if the Brewers won't go that high, I'd have to question either the prognosis on his knees or the Brewers' sanity after the debacle at first base last year. If Hart is demanding 3 years, I can understand the hesitance, but I wouldn't have a problem with 2/15 considering that both Ramirez and Weeks will be off the books after this year.

As for Morrison, I really don't get the excitement. He seems to be regressing, and outside of a couple of seasons, he's never really shown much power in the majors or minors. He kind of looks like a poor man's Overbay (Brewers-era) to me. Definitely preferable to Francisco, but I certainly wouldn't give up much of value for him.

Hart is the more sure thing. You know what you're getting, but also he's only a 1-year solution.

He missed an entire season with a severe knee injury, I don't know if I'd call him anything close to a sure thing. He appears to have more upside than LoMo though.

Honestly, I'd rather sign Gamel than give up anything of value for Morrison. I like Morrison and think he might have a good year or two left, but he can't stay healthy and he hasn't hit in three years. Not someone I'd trade for, unless he was basically free.

Huh?? Morrison is 2 years younger than Gamel, and Gamel hasn't played in 2 years. Morrison's played the last two years in a very tough hitters park surrounded by a weak lineup. Put him in Miller Park, in the Brewers lineup and he could be a 20-25 HR, 80-85 RBI guy assuming health.

It depends on what it takes to get him. He's a buy low guy. When you buy low, you have to trust that he's better than his recent form. He at least has had some success at this level to go off of. Conversely Gamel at 28 has never produced in the big leagues and has no recent form to go off of. They would be extremely foolish to count on either Gamel's health or ability a third straight year.

Hart is the more sure thing. You know what you're getting, but also he's only a 1-year solution.

He missed an entire season with a severe knee injury, I don't know if I'd call him anything close to a sure thing. He appears to have more upside than LoMo though.

I should've said sure thing production wise, and when healthy obviously. That should definitely be taken into account, but Morrison hasn't been the picture of perfect health either.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived