Brewer Fanatic

Dan Haren to Dodgers; 1 yr $10m

DHonks

Why would the Dodgers sign this guy, his numbers were well below average last year, didnt he pitch in what is considered a pitchers park?

Why? Because they can afford to. Billingsley and Beckett (at 27mil salary cost between them) aren't looking like Opening Day #5s for them. Haren takes over the #5 that Capuano held.

I think Dodgers Stadium is more a Pitchers park than the Nationals Stadium.

But clearly this is the type of signing along with Peralta's that shows FA is out of Milwaukee's league.

Hart will sign for this type of deal I bet 10mil with incentives to 13mil and likely something like 500PAs option for another 13mil

"But clearly this is the type of signing with Peralta's that shows FA is out of Milwaukee's league"

Except that those type of signings for aging bottom of the rotation pitchers and position players should always have been avoided by teams like the Brewers. It's not a recipe for success and never has been. The Brewers can still selectively sign FA. They get a boost from national TV money too. But they are always better served waiting till the big market teams finish with their wish lists. That's where there's value.

With all this money being spent so far on mediocre talent it really does make me wonder what Hart will get. If Hart were healthy he would be one of the hottest FA's this year; something tells me a team is going to throw crazy money at him and DM will be forced into a plan b or c.

But Haren on only a 1 year deal isn't the end of the world. Even if they spent too much for the one year it hardly will be a big deal to the Dodgers.

Why would the Dodgers sign this guy, his numbers were well below average last year, didnt he pitch in what is considered a pitchers park?

Why?

From July to October, over his last 15 starts of the season, Haren had the following line:

87 IP

8-8 W-L

3.29 ERA

1.04 WHIP

Pretty darn good numbers for a #4 or #5 pitcher.

We dropped 10 million on Eric Gagne...

I don't see how this is that much of an overpay. I would have been pretty happy had the Brewers got him for that kind of price and commitment..

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Why?

From July to October, over his last 15 starts of the season, Haren had the following line:

87 IP

8-8 W-L

3.29 ERA

1.04 WHIP

That's a great stat, what was he from Apr to July and the year before. I would take Lohse, give up the draft pick every day of the week over this guy. He won't help the Dodgers IMO.

Why?

87 IP

8-8 W-L

3.29 ERA

1.04 WHIP

That's a great stat, what was he from Apr to July and the year before. I would take Lohse, give up the draft pick every day of the week over this guy. He won't help the Dodgers IMO.

Glad you asked. From 2010 to 2012 he was the following:

650IP

40-35 W-L

3.75 ERA

1.18 WHIP

Sure, he had a bad first half of 2013. Tons of pitchers have had bad seasons only to rebound. Jon Lester had a 4.82 ERA and 1.38 WHIP in 2012 and last I checked he had a 3.75 ERA in 2013 and went 2-0 in the World Series by allowing 1 R in 15 IP.

Seems like a reasonable risk to take given the lack of draft pick attached to him. If you still would take Lohse and give up the pick over Haren, then you and I have differing views on how to build a small market team.

Bottom line, based on the second half of last year, I don't think it's a bad signing especially when viewed against the merits of the Lohse deal. 3 years $33 million + a lost first round pick for the Brewers who were a fringe playoff team at best prior to 2013 versus Haren for 1 year $10 million with no lost 1st round pick...I know which one I would choose if given the choice, especially given the current status of the Brewers roster.

Archived