Brewer Fanatic

Garrett Jones DFA'd; 12.9.13: signs w/MIA, 2 yrs./$7.75MM

His 2012 numbers were very close to Corey Hart's:

Jones: .274/.317/.516, 27 HR, 86 RBI

Hart: .270/.344/.507, 30 HR, 83 RBI

Both will be 2 years removed from those numbers, one coming of a bad season and one coming off an injury. Those factors almost wash as well. With an adequate platoon partner (Halton maybe?), I'd certainly take Jones over Francisco or giving up something for Ike Davis.

His 2012 numbers were very close to Corey Hart's:

Jones: .274/.317/.516, 27 HR, 86 RBI

Hart: .270/.344/.507, 30 HR, 83 RBI

Both will be 2 years removed from those numbers, one coming of a bad season and one coming off an injury. Those factors almost wash as well. With an adequate platoon partner (Halton maybe?), I'd certainly take Jones over Francisco or giving up something for Ike Davis.

Seconded. If Hart isn't re-signed, then a Jones-Halton platoon would buy Hunter Morris a few more months in Triple AAA before a possible call-up midseason if Jones stinks.

Certainly a lot older than I thought, didn't really get a chance until he was 28 with the Pirates. His career suggest a platoon at best, better than most of the guys they used last year but wouldn't be too optimistic for 2014 if the Brewers gave him a starting job at first.

I'd like to see Jason Rogers get a chance, he crushes LHP and apparently looked pretty good playing both corner outfield positions and he's spent some time playing 3b in instructional league and in the AFL. Jones and Rogers might be a good platoon.

I'd like to see Jason Rogers get a chance, he crushes LHP and apparently looked pretty good playing both corner outfield positions and he's spent some time playing 3b in instructional league and in the AFL. Jones and Rogers might be a good platoon.

I don't think you move Rogers past Halton just yet. Let's see how he does in AAA. Halton wasn't overwhelmed last year, showed power and hits lefties well too. He has experience in both corner OF spots and just as much (almost none) as Rogers at 3B.

Archived