Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals sign Jhonny Peralta 4/$52 million

jjkoestler

I love this. He has been pretty much average, he's 31, and now has a 4 year contract. Don't forget that he was suspended 50 games for PED usage.....so there's always that issue of how Carpenter is going to explain it to his son. I get that Kozma was bad, but I don't see him being that much better. Just my gut.

Presumably, Carpenter is demanding to be traded as of this moment! Not clear who the clean team is though.

It does make for curious timing as to why Carpenter announced his retirement a couple of days ago.....

"trade me or I'll retire"

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

STL signs a Biogenesis guy. I can't say I would have predicted that. Of course, since the Cardinals' machine all but genetically engineers players of all skill levels into Brewer killers, I guess I now have 5 months to develop STL style hatred for this Peralta. [sarcasm]Nice to have the heads-up.[/sarcasm] :indifferent

I also look forward to seeing how the fans of STL nation spell his first name.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

The Freese trade was amazing. First that they thought he went there on his own and not that he got traded and then using #trader instead of #traitor. It was awesome.

The Freese trade was amazing. First that they thought he went there on his own and not that he got traded and then using #trader instead of #traitor. It was awesome.

There was a fair amount of #trader around the internets in response to Albert Pujols, too.

STL signs a Biogenesis guy. I can't say I would have predicted that. Of course, since the Cardinals' machine all but genetically engineers players of all skill levels into Brewer killers, I guess I now have 5 months to develop STL style hatred for this Peralta. [sarcasm]Nice to have the heads-up.[/sarcasm] :indifferent

It's ok, because he "took full responsibility." From the Cardinals.com press release:

Peralta, who in August received and served a 50-game suspension for violation of Major League Baseball's drug policy, acknowledged his mistake and took full responsibility for his actions.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Cardinals factored in Jhonny Peralta's drug suspension when they negotiated a four-year deal worth more than $50 million with the free-agent shortstop.

General manager John Mozeliak said Monday that Peralta had admitted wrongdoing and served his penalty and that the Cardinals weren't about to appoint themselves morality "police." Mozeliak said the club was confident that this was an isolated circumstance.

The 31-year-old Peralta was suspended for 50 games last summer following Major League Baseball's investigation of the Biogenesis of America anti-aging clinic, which was accused of distributing banned performance-enhancing drugs to players.

Mozeliak said in a statement Sunday that the Cardinals were "pleased" to sign Peralta, but the move drew a different reaction from some big leaguers.

Arizona Diamondbacks reliever Brad Ziegler, the team's union player representative, tweeted that "it pays to cheat" and chided owners for "encouraging PED use."

Hopefully this doesn't cause the thread to get too off topic but why, if the union wants to rid the game of PED's so badly, doesn't it allow teams to terminate the contracts of players who test positive without penalty? I would imagine guys like Braun aren't going to be released for testing positive but guys like Peralta certainly would be. It takes risk away from the team and puts an even bigger punishment on the player.

It's ok, because he "took full responsibility." From the Cardinals.com press release:

Peralta, who in August received and served a 50-game suspension for violation of Major League Baseball's drug policy, acknowledged his mistake and took full responsibility for his actions.

But that was after he denied using PEDs...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2013/02/06/detroit-tigers-jhonny-peralta-ped-anthony-bosch/1897427/

Detroit Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta's name is in the records of Anthony Bosch, director of the Biogenesis clinic in Florida, which is under investigation by MLB for performance-enhancing drugs, reports SI.com's Tom Verducci.

Peralta does not appear to be tied to PEDs. He released a statement through his attorney, Barry Boss, saying: "I have never used performance enhancing drugs. Period. Anybody who says otherwise is lying."

But that was after he denied using PEDs...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2013/02/06/detroit-tigers-jhonny-peralta-ped-anthony-bosch/1897427/

Detroit Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta's name is in the records of Anthony Bosch, director of the Biogenesis clinic in Florida, which is under investigation by MLB for performance-enhancing drugs, reports SI.com's Tom Verducci.

Peralta does not appear to be tied to PEDs. He released a statement through his attorney, Barry Boss, saying: "I have never used performance enhancing drugs. Period. Anybody who says otherwise is lying."

Oh. Well, you know, he lied less. Declaring "anybody who says otherwise is lying" isn't as cockroachey as throwing that courier dude under the bus.

Trust STL nation. It's different. :rolleyes

Anyone else find it funny the team that polices every aspect of how other teams act are the ones who say they aren't the morality police? I guess they are just to busy being the unwritten rules police to worry about it. At least next time I see some arrogant "this is how you play the game" type comment from one of their fans I have some good ammo.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Peralta was on the top-shelf stuff and Braun was using crap some redneck made in a coffee can. It's the difference between champagne and bath salts.

Anyone else find it funny the team that polices every aspect of how other teams act are the ones who say they aren't the morality police?

Being mawkish in an attempt to fend off the mawkish nonsense of other people who are imitating your own mawkishness? Even the most pathetic political pundits struggle to do that with a straight face.

Archived