Brewer Fanatic

Commissioner's office to recommend metal detectors at all stadiums in 2014

patrickgpe

http://hutchnews.com/Pro/All-big-league-ballparks-to-screen-fans-in-2014

i know it was inevitable, but the lines on busy games takes forever as it is, this is only going to make it worse. I know when Lambeau implemented it, it made very long wait times until people got used to it.

the problem at miller park is, that a large majority of fans enter the park right as the game is starting. its really going to take some planning and getting used to for fans to adjust to that.

Getting into Miller Park has become somewhat of a joke. I don't know if it's the checking of the purses, them not opening all of the turnstiles, or some combination of the two but it shouldn't take 25 minutes to get from the parking lot into the stadium.

Checking the purses. All the time people are surprised they have to get checked. They get to the front of the line and then stop to reposition their bag and open it. Metal detectors are just going to make it worse.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Checking the purses. All the time people are surprised they have to get checked. They get to the front of the line and then stop to reposition their bag and open it. Metal detectors are just going to make it worse.

This. There is never a line to go through the turnstyles.... aside from maybe bobblehead days. There is a line to get into the first set of doors.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Getting into Miller Park has become somewhat of a joke. I don't know if it's the checking of the purses, them not opening all of the turnstiles, or some combination of the two but it shouldn't take 25 minutes to get from the parking lot into the stadium.

It has never taken me more than 5 min to get into the stadium. The only time it takes forever was on bobblehead days and that was 10 min at the most.

If standing in line for 10 minutes means the stadium is a safer place to be, I'm all for it.

Couldn't agree more.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

If standing in line for 10 minutes means the stadium is a safer place to be, I'm all for it.

Couldn't agree more.

Serious question which is not meant to turn this into a fight: Do you tend to feel unsafe at Miller Park?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Couldn't agree more.

Serious question which is not meant to turn this into a fight: Do you tend to feel unsafe at Miller Park?

Of course not...

But any safety precautions that can be taken to prevent a reason to feel unsafe is a good thing.........................imo

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Couldn't agree more.

There is a point where it becomes over barring, but this isn't it.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

What an incredibly obnoxious decision. Hopefully none of the stadiums take this recommendation. It's almost like they try to find ways to piss off the fans that want to spend their $$. A giant middle finger to them. Well, screw that.

What an incredibly obnoxious decision. Hopefully none of the stadiums take this recommendation. It's almost like they try to find ways to piss off the fans that want to spend their $$. A giant middle finger to them. Well, screw that.

How is a fairly basic and routine safety measure a "giant middle finger?"

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

That is understandable, but for the greater good of "all" fans, I'm glad they are doing it.

If it prevents one instance of violence, it is worth it imo.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

How does this make it any safer? If an unstable person is willing to do something like shoot a bunch of people at a game or bring a bomb or something they can easily just start their spree at the door, or with the usher motioning them to walk through the detector.

How does this make it any safer? If an unstable person is willing to do something like shoot a bunch of people at a game or bring a bomb or something they can easily just start their spree at the door, or with the usher motioning them to walk through the detector.

Well, I'm not a law enforcement expert, and I don't want to get into a bunch of improbable hypothetical scenarios, but I'm guessing someone is much more dangerous if they slip into a public stadium undetected, versus trying to do something while they are still outside the facility.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

i think anytime 40,000 people are together in 1 small place in todays world, there is a risk that something bad may happen. I think in the past felt safe sending their kids to school or going shopping at a mall but that is no longer the case. Thankfully we have yet to have an incident at a sports arena / stadium.

Slightly off subject but the case can be made that women do not need to bring their purse to a 3 hour ball game knowing that its going to get searched and hold up the line. I could though ruin the long tradition of allowing fans to bring their own drinks / sandwiches inside, since coolers have to be checked too.

Well, I'm not a law enforcement expert, and I don't want to get into a bunch of improbable hypothetical scenarios, but I'm guessing someone is much more dangerous if they slip into a public stadium undetected, versus trying to do something while they are still outside the facility.

I just don't see the difference between a nut shooting into a crowd waiting to get into a game versus shooing at a crowd walking on the concourse inside, or the deterrent a metal detector even poses to someone who is determined to cause harm at a baseball game. If a nutjob's goal is to get in an start shooting people they can just start with the guy at the metal detector or the crowd bunched up at the door waiting to get in.

It doesn't make me feel any safer or unsafe, just more of a way to point out to media and any potential fall out if something were to happen to be able to say, "We did all we could, so don't blame me for the actions of a nutjob, and don't sue us."

Slightly off subject but the case can be made that women do not need to bring their purse to a 3 hour ball game knowing that its going to get searched and hold up the line. I could though ruin the long tradition of allowing fans to bring their own drinks / sandwiches inside, since coolers have to be checked too.

Don't care too much about the metal detectors but what you mentioned is more my fear. Going to other ballparks/stadiums across the country it is quite obvious the Brewers are much more generous regarding what can be brought into the park, saves me and my family money. The commissioner's office could go even further and set a standard of what can be brought into all MLB stadiums.

It's possible to navigate quickly with a bag. For years I have been bringing a canvas bag with snacks, plastic bottle beverage, scorebook/pencil, camera, etc. I have it open and ready to show the bag checker when I'm at the front of the line. Some of the checkers recognize me and I can get through their lines relatively quickly.

A few other miscellaneous observations:

As long as this remains recommended rather than mandatory, I think it's a valid question whether the Brewers will follow suit (though even if they don't initially, it's probably a slippery slope to making everyone do it). I'd expect Boston and New York to implement it, and am mildly surprised that the NY teams (apparently) haven't done it in all the years since 2001.

If metal detectors come to pass (which is probably a bad unintended pun of some sort), wouldn't the delays be more "equal opportunity," since both male and female fans have keys and cell phones?

Another serious question, since I haven't much experience with metal detectors: how much metal does it take to trigger the detector? Is the binding in a spiral bound scorebook enough?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Another serious question, since I haven't much experience with metal detectors: how much metal does it take to trigger the detector? Is the binding in a spiral bound scorebook enough?

It will probably depend on what they use. My guess is that they would use the wands, which I don't think usually go off for a cell phone or car keys (at least they don't for me at Packer games). If they use full walk-through metal detectors like at the airport or Six Flags, they will probably be more sensitive.

Dodger Stadium already uses metal detectors to get into the stadium, at least in the bleachers. When I was there for the Brewers series in April, we all had to empty our pockets and get swiped with a metal detector before we could get into the stadium. First time that happened going into a baseball stadium, but I'm sure that's because it's LA and the problems they have had in the past.

Archived