Brewer Fanatic

Freese to LAA, Bourjos to STL -- DONE (others in deal as well... see lead post)

KCBrewerfan34

Brewer killer gone, per Rotoworld others maybe involved, stay tuned. Cards want to move Carpenter to 3rd and give 2nd to Wong apparently.

EDIT: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/cardinals-acquire-peter-bourjos.html

David Freese & Fernando Salas to LAA

Peter Bourjos & Randal Grichuk ('09 #24 overall pick) to STL

Cardinals Acquire Peter Bourjos

By Steve Adams [November 22 at 1:46pm CST]

1:46pm: Outfield prospect Randal Grichuk is going from the Angels to the Cardinals, according to Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register (on Twitter). The Halos just added Grichuk, 22, to their 40-man roster this week to protect him from the Rule 5 Draft. The Angels selected Grichuk 24th overall in the 2009 draft -- their first of two consecutive picks. The second pick netted superstar Mike Trout.

1:33pm: Yahoo's Tim Brown tweets that while Bourjos and Freese are the primary players in the deal, a couple other pieces are involved as well.

1:19pm: The Cardinals have acquired Peter Bourjos from the Angels, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez reports that David Freese will head to the Angels in the deal. Other pieces could be involved in the deal, though that's not yet known at this time.

Bourjos, who turns 27 at the end of Spring Training, is a defensive wizard in center field that owns a career .251/.306/.398 batting line. He slashed .274/.333/.377 in an injury-shortened season after being hit by a pitch on the wrist and requiring surgery. He also posted an impressive .271/.327/.438 batting line with 12 homers and 22 steals in 2011, showing off that he's capable of being a plus offensive player in a full season as well. The speedster has a career 20.2 UZR/150 rating in more than 2,600 innings in center field. MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz projected a $1.1MM salary for Bourjos in 2014.

Freese, 30, had a down season at the plate in 2013, slashing .262/.340/.381 with just nine homers. He was significantly better in 2012, when he belted 20 homers and batted .293/.372/.467 in 144 games. Freese is typically regarded as a solid defender at third base, but both The Fielding Bible and Ultimate Zone Rating graded his work poorly this season. Freese began the season on the DL with a back strain, and if that pain lingered throughout the season, it could explain his decline on both sides of the game. Swartz projects Freese to earn $4.4MM in 2014.

The Angels had a clear need at third base after trading Alberto Callaspo to the A's last July, and the Cardinals were in the market for a defensive upgrade from Jon Jay, whose center field defense has grade out as a negative over the course of his career. In that sense, the two sides line up well for a trade, though Freese comes with just two years of team control compared to Bourjos' three. He also has a significantly higher salary, so it would stand to reason, in my opinion, that the Angels are receiving another prospect in the deal.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Salas is also going to the Angels

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I'm sure Bourjos will turn in to an All Star considering all the hype I've read about him over the last couple seasons of blossoming in to something.

Again great Roster move like the Texas/Det trade. Make room for your prized Prospect Wong while shifting a better player in the leaving player's position?

So when does Weeks get traded?

Trade deadline of 2014 after hitting .195 in the 1st half. They'll move him for a 25 year old Single A pitcher with a 1.587 WHIP

LOL! But seriously I at first wanted to change .195 to .155 saying there fixed it for you. But, Weeks can't possibly bat under .230 when platooned to face Leftys can he?

Either way that trade is too late. If you can trade Badenhop for a completely off the radar prospect to make roster space/ save money? Then what's holding up doing such a trade with Weeks? Trade him 6mil. for that 25year Prospect repeating A level for the 3rd year and be done with it!

At least you save some money and create Roster space.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Either way that trade is too late. If you can trade Badenhop for a completely off the radar prospect to make roster space/ save money? Then what's holding up doing such a trade with Weeks? Trade him 6mil. for that 25year Prospect repeating A level for the 3rd year and be done with it!

At least you save some money and create Roster space.

$6 million. Try $9 million and someone might bite. No one in their right mind takes on $4 million for a guy coming off a bad injury and two bad years offensively. Plus he's bad defensively.

Trade deadline of 2014 after hitting .195 in the 1st half. They'll move him for a 25 year old Single A pitcher with a 1.587 WHIP

Why would anyone trade for an often injured Weeks who hits and fields like crap, along with being owed 11 million dollars?

Even if the Brewers agreed to pay half of that 11 million, i really question if another team would trade for him.

I'm sure Bourjos will turn in to an All Star considering all the hype I've read about him over the last couple seasons of blossoming in to something.

Again great Roster move like the Texas/Det trade. Make room for your prized Prospect Wong while shifting a better player in the leaving player's position?

How is this a great roster move when the Cardinals are now blocking their best prospect that is ready for the majors?

How is this a great roster move when the Cardinals are now blocking their best prospect that is ready for the majors?

They get an OF with more talent than John Jay. and can use Jay as backup. It's depth move. Holliday and then Jay/Bourjos/Tavaras in the OF. Looks a whole lot better to me than Jay,Holliday,Tavaras, and was it Shane Robinson with wondering how to fit Craig/Adams in to the lineup while Freese takes up a position Carpenter can occupy.

Actually I think Craig is supposed to be a part of the OF so Bourjos Holliday and Tavaras as #4. Jay will be the odd man out.

If I recall correctly Tavaras was injured to finish the season? So to expect him to heal and be ML ready come opening day is a lot. This covers Stl. Also still waiting for them to likely trade away somebody for a premier SS.

It's a better move to have Bourjos over Jay and Carpenter/Wong over Freese.

If the Cardinals thought he was major league ready, I doubt he would be blocked at all...

Just saying.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Who are they blocking? Taveras? Beltran is most likely leaving, so a spot opens up in right for him.

Where does Adams or Craig play then? Jay more than likely moves to RF at least as a platoon as I don't see the Cardinals getting rid of Jay.

More than likely this means A Taveras+ trade for Tulo is probably being discussed.

Who are they blocking? Taveras? Beltran is most likely leaving, so a spot opens up in right for him.

Where does Adams or Craig play then? Jay more than likely moves to RF at least as a platoon as I don't see the Cardinals getting rid of Jay.

More than likely this means A Taveras+ trade for Tulo is probably being discussed.

Sounds like StL. is going to sign Peralta for SS. I think Jay is the odd man out on the team. Becomes their 4th/5th OF. You look at Jay's career #s in post season .188/.263/.219/.481 in 183 PAs He's just an OK player but one they have better to replace with. Watch him get traded to the Mets or Mariners or Royals.

Or maybe the team is set to keep Adams as a bench bat. Just because Adams would be a huge everyday 1b for Milw, to Stl. he's their Juan Francisco. He's not expensive. Truthfully this is a reward for Drafting well. You have everyday capable players on the bench.

Archived